What's new

Cobra classic: my thoughts

A kind member here has let me borrow his Cobra classic and today was my first use.

s-l300 (1).jpg

This razor has been around for a long time. It predates the popular AC fad that has swept across the SE world. I have always heard of the great shaves it gave but to be honest the AC blade system seemed like a niche that I thought wouldn't last (never take any stock or bond advice from me) so I never jumped on it. Plus it never looked that attractive to me in the puctures. The ribbing on the handle just seemed ugly. Yet when the chance to try it came along I figured "Why not".
Yesterday it came in the mail. Unwrapping it changed my option. This thing is beautiful in person. The plating on the back is gorgeous and to me is the star of the show. The "ugly" ribbing actually looks like it belongs. The heft of the razor feels so nice in the hand. Lastly, the clasp that holds the blade in place is just a wonderful simple solution.

Now to the shave. I put a Proline in (easy with the clasp). This is a very smooth blade so I had high hopes. The Cobra didn't disappoint. It has a nice blade feel. The angle was easy to find as well. The shave experience reminds me of my El Jefe or the Mr. SE. I did get a few weepers on the bottom of the neck, which is a sensitive spot for me. I just got lazy and didn't watch my pressure and angle.

Over all this is a great razor and just a joy to hold and use. Look forward to a few more shaves before returning it to it's owner.

Last edited:
A kind member here as let me borrow his Cobra classic and today was my first use.

View attachment 863809

This razor has been around for a long time. It predates the popular AC fad that has swept across the SE world. I have always heard of the great shaves it gave but to be honest the AC blade system seemed like a niche that I thought wouldn't last (never take any stock or bond advice from me) so I never jumped on it. Plus it never looked that attractive to me in the puctures. The ribbing on the handle just seemed ugly. Yet when the chance to try it came along I figured "Why not".
Yesterday it came in the mail. Unwrapping it changed my option. This thing is beautiful in person. The plating on the back is gorgeous and to me is the star of the show. The "ugly" ribbing actually looks like it belongs. The heft of the razor feels so nice in the hand. Lastly, the clasp that holds the blade in place is just a wonderful simple solution.

Now to the shave. I put a Proline in (easy with the clasp). This is a very smooth blade so I had high hopes. The Cobra didn't disappoint. It has a nice blade feel. The angle was easy to find as well. The shave experience reminds me of my El Jefe or the Mr. SE. I did get a few weepers on the bottom of the neck, which is a sensitive spot for me. I just got lazy and didn't watch my pressure and angle.

Over all this is a great razor and just a joy to hold and use. Look forward to a few more shaves before returning it to it's owner.

The Cobra Classic was my first SE razor and the only razor I have owned long term. I find it very smooth and gives fantastic shaves when I have 2+ days of beard growth. It's a shame they are not produced anymore.

I always enjoyed mine and I still consider it the equal of, if not superior to, any of the other razors I own. It's been a while since I used it because I moved and haven't unpacked it yet, but I think now that I should hunt it up and give it a ride again.

I love the shaves from the Classic Cobra. Falls into the hand just right, with nearly a perfect bend at the head and neck that provides an intuitive shave position and stroke. Just a sheer pleasure to shave with. And each shave just gets better one right after the other. I’ve never had a bad shave with the Classic.

I have heard many good thing about the Classic. It is just too bad that Classic Shavings promise of the Classic returning has not yet materialized.

I miss mine, big regret selling that one. Never had a bad shave and just worked brilliantly. My Ikon MR SE is very simalar to me, YMMV.

Have had one for a number of years and easily the best that I own, use it very often. Also have the King Cobra, Asylum RX and others.

Another shave with the Cobra. I love this razor. It is a smooth and 3 pass effortless shave. I'm going to do a shave comparison with the Mr SE this week before I send it away.

Another shave with the Cobra. I love this razor. It is a smooth and 3 pass effortless shave. I'm going to do a shave comparison with the Mr SE this week before I send it away.
Perhaps one of the smoothest SE razors to date. Yet very efficient and easy to use. After a few strokes, it's like you've had it for years. What blade have you been using with it for your shaves?

It just gets better and better. I was rushing out the door today so my prep was just a quick splash of hot water and then directly to the lather. The Cobra was speeding around the face. First WTG and then ATG, cold water was thrown around and finished with some balm. A little red on the neck (this is a super sensitive area) where I would usually have road rash when I was in such a hurry.
This could easily be the only razor I could own and be extremely happy.

I have sellers remorse with this razor. It was a great shaver. I did feel the quality wasn’t quite worth the price. I didn’t like the wobbly blade mechanism and the plating and overall ergonomics were not spectacular. But it did shave well.

loved this razor when I used it on a passaround. Could never bring myself to plonk down that kind of money for a razor.

I didn’t realise this was discontinued. When did that happen? I thought it was just in VERY short supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t realise this was discontinued. When did that happen? I thought it was just in VERY short supply.

It was discontinued for a while and then they decided to start producing again in VERY short supply. Per-orders went out a while back for the Classic and the King, but only the King started shipping and some folks were complaining that the lock switch was too tight to lock and unlock properly.

It was discontinued for a while and then they decided to start producing again in VERY short supply. Per-orders went out a while back for the Classic and the King, but only the King started shipping and some folks were complaining that the lock switch was too tight to lock and unlock properly.

Such a shame. It’s a design classic.

Just from a design perspective, it belongs in the Museum of Modern Art. I did not pursue one because I have a stainless steel fetish and also thought the toggle was just a failure waiting to happen. Was happy with the Mongoose, now in heaven with the ATT SE1 —

I don’t think I would call AC safety razor shaving a “fad.”

Top Bottom