What's new

Cobra Classic Confessions

Question to all the people on the thread who mentioned they uses Pro Super blades in Cobra clasic and/or King : Have you modified your razors to accomodatd Pro Super blades ? I have Cobra classic for 4 years and Pro Super doesn't fit in it. 2 months ago I got brand new King from classic shaving and tried to load Pro Super in it and it doesn't fit as well. King can be closed with Super Pro loaded but I took a look on it through the magnifying glass and it can be clearly seen that Pro Super lies ON tabs not BEHIND the tabs. May be it still OK to shave with it. I haven't tried I'll try to publish the photo .

I know few people used Dremel tool to modify Cobra Classic so Pro Super can be loaded. BTW Classic Shaving claims that Pro Super CAN NOT be used in either (king or classic) , only Pro and Guard. ( don't know about non Feather blades like Kamisory Kai etc)

Do you think the Feather Pro Super blades are that much better than the Feather Pro blade to make it worth the trouble to modify your beautiful razor? I have never used a Pro Super but I can't believe it could be that much better than the Feather Pro blades. I doubt anyone could feel the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Hold the phone!
Pro Super blades fit in my Cobra Classic without the need for any modifications .
As I understand it the first batches of Cobras could not accomodate the Pro Supers but the later ones can due to an increase in the diameter of the pivot holes for the guard.

But I'll check when I get home whether the blade is resting on the stops or not.

Using the Pro Super vs the regular Pro makes a big difference for me in face feel of the blad which has more of the 2011 R41 feel of flex - like the blade is walking across your face - with the Super.
But the quality of the shave seems identical.

And here's my unmodified Cobra Classic with the Pro Super blade very clearly resting correctly behind the blade stops:
proxy.php

In a razor like the Cobra Classic that has blade stops that limit how far the blade comes out... Does the Pro/Super Pro wind up with the same blade exposure? I can see how on a razor like the Mongoose how the super would come out farther but not sure how the stops on the Cobra would allow that to happen. I miss my Cobra a little but still like my Mongoose shaves more...

In a razor like the Cobra Classic that has blade stops that limit how far the blade comes out... Does the Pro/Super Pro wind up with the same blade exposure? I can see how on a razor like the Mongoose how the super would come out farther but not sure how the stops on the Cobra would allow that to happen. I miss my Cobra a little but still like my Mongoose shaves more...

I'd wondered about the blade exposure too, but I think the extra depth of the Pro Super blade causes the whole baseplate to protrude further (hence the need for the wider pivot holes) so that there is greater exposure.
And the Super blades are marginally thicker too, though who knows what difference that might make?

And the Cobra/Mongoose debate is polarising.
I persevered with my Mongoose using different blades and prep but it always felt like a big Ever Ready and I did not get a smooth shave from it.

Whereas for me the Cobra shaves like a super smooth and intuitive dream.

I assumed that it allowed the baseplate to protrude a little bit further. I do enjoy my mongoose shaves and I do agree that the head is a little large. Mongoose will at some point change their head design on the stainless models to the new slimmer profile of the alumigoose 2 and hopefully that will make it a little more nimble. Not sure when that will take place though.

I don't quite understand how it can fit, I measured both Pro and Pro Super and the only difference it's a distance between oblong holes to the front (cutting end) , the distances between the holes and back ( dull end) is equivalent.
So that if Classic or King is closed with Pro Super and the razor is behind the tabs, it means the holes don't fully fit in the 3 corresponded bumps on the lower guard. and if it is closed when bumps and holes fit, the razor will be on the tabs and not behind.

May be that what Classic Shaving representative meant when she told Pro Super can't fit either in Kin or in Classic.
What some people do , they shave, using Dremel, the front of the bumps on the lower guard, so Pro Super can fit in, but then Pro will be a little bit loose.

I personally never thought to modify Cobra Classic since I always had a BBS shave using regular Pro with it, but when I got King, I found it a little bit milder then Cobra and decided to try Pro Super ( as I mentioned I can't achieve a proper fit, but I will not be modifying it either. Actually it's probably possible to ask to buy a separate lower plate from CS, shouldn't cost that much) The only thing needed to unscrew one screw to change it)
Mongoose with Super is milder then both of them and I currently use Mongoose with Pro Super. After few shaves I got comfortable with it, but caution ( and really sleek soap) is required and steel shave feels somewhat harsh. Overall, Cobra Classic is a champion in terms of shave quality and Mongoose in terms of quality of construction - stainless steel and no moving parts. Perfect razor will be a combo of Cobra head geometry implemented in stainless steel 3 piece design

Overall, Cobra Classic is a champion in terms of shave quality and Mongoose in terms of quality of construction - stainless steel and no moving parts. Perfect razor will be a combo of Cobra head geometry implemented in stainless steel 3 piece design

You say it perfectly!

And here's a picture of a (dirty) Pro Super with the cutouts in the tabs and resting behind the blade stops.
I think it's the later batches that can take can take the Pro Supers.
proxy.php

I am eager to see the new Bullgoose Artist Club razor that's coming out eventually. It looks like it has a slim top line like the Cobra but with 3 pic construction like the Mongoose. All in stainless steel. Could be a winner! Also there was talk of ATT eventually coming out with an Artist Club SE as well.

Are Cobra Razors still being produced or are they out of production now? I can't see anyone selling these new of late.

As I understand , Cobra is produced by Galco company whose main business is weapon acesories as gun holsterc etc.
Once in a while they retool their equipment and manufactures small batches of King and Classic Cobras for Classic Shaving.
They also make shaving sets for The art of shaving - brush and gilette handle with stand with the same material as King Cobra handle.
(Outrageously priced for 850$)

That's the reason why it's infrequent but it looks like it's not discontinued at least King Cobra , in February CS got a small butch of Kings after a year of hiatus which was sold out in a day, I was able to get one by luck.

I have high hopes for Bullgoose razor since head geometry is similar to Cobra. and it's 3 piece SS design no moving parts.
(I can achieve a shave which is close to Cobra by using Mongoose with Pro Super, but it requires very sleek soap and being very careful,still shave feels somewhat harsh. I just read a message on another BB forum that Pro Super are not just thicker but also sharper then Pro :18 degree bezel rather then 25 degrees so it shaves much closer to the real straight.

I was fortunate enough to find a backup Cobra Classic and received it today. For me it is the gold standard of the SE AC razors. I noticed on this one Galco is stamped on the base of the Handle, my original one I bought a few years ago doesn’t have this. Anyone know if the Stamped one is an earlier model? I prefer the Schick Proline blade in my Cobra.

The Cobra Classic. Obviously, no words need to be spoken about this legend on how it performs for many. Arguably I might have an AC razor or two that perform just a smidge better and feel more maneuverable but, the feeling I get when shaving with this razor is unmatched in terms of the whole wet shaving experience from first stroke to last touch up pass. Which, by the way is the only razor alongside my RX that barely needs any touch up or buffing passes to achieve maximum results. I actually place this razor right smack in the middle between the Vector and the Paradigm Ti SE. Losing just by the smallest of margins to the Vector in terms of ease of use, weight and maneuverability. And in my personal experience it outclasses the Paradigm by more than a little shave wise only losing to it in alloy and construction which has been the Cobras Achilles heal.

Still, it provides a satisfaction of shave and closeness that few can compare to plus I believe it to be the sexiest razor ever made.

6E328B4B-8D13-4E0A-85BC-DD1F204AC9B3.jpeg

I was fortunate enough to find a backup Cobra Classic and received it today. For me it is the gold standard of the SE AC razors. I noticed on this one Galco is stamped on the base of the Handle, my original one I bought a few years ago doesn’t have this. Anyone know if the Stamped one is an earlier model? I prefer the Schick Proline blade in my Cobra.

Mine is from production run #2, the one with the larger pivot holes in the head to accommodate the Pro Super blade, and it has the GALCO in the handle. I believe all of the first and second runs had that. Classic Shaving dropped that when they went to another machine shop for production, but I don't know when that was.

I also agree with you and @GlazedBoker about the wonderfulness of the Cobra Classic. To me, the Mongoose lost that particular fight.

I sold off all my SE razors except for the Cobra Classic and the Vector these 2 give me all I need to get the perfect shave.

I sold off all my SE razors except for the Cobra Classic and the Vector these 2 give me all I need to get the perfect shave.

I'm heading the same way myself. Cobra, RX, Vector, El Jefe & Brass General will stay. These 5 have character and personality and give me exactly what I want and need in variety and shave performance. The rest of my AC SE's are hitting the door, Paradigm Ti SE included.

I'm heading the same way myself. Cobra, RX, Vector, El Jefe & Brass General will stay. These 5 have character and personality and give me exactly what I want and need in variety and shave performance. The rest of my AC SE's are hitting the door, Paradigm Ti SE included.
Nice list! I have them all but the Cobra (maybe some day).

Top Bottom