What's new

Cobra Classic Confessions

After acquiring a Cobra Classic to make the comparison with the most excellent Mongoose, I have simply fallen in love with this razor.

It's intuitive and beautiful, and all it asks of me is no pressure for some truly stellar shaving.

So I'm really interested in other people's experiences with the Cobra.

What blade do you use?
My Cobra is a later model which will accommodate the Pro Super blades - with a standard Pro blade the Cobra reminds me of a superb supercharged E2 but with the Super blade it's something else altogether with lots and lots of blade feel and a sensation of flex (which some people hate but I rather enjoy!) reminiscent of my Spitfire R41 for an incredible and exhiliarating shave.

What prep do you use?
My Artist Club SS and CJB like a nice slick astringent soap but I've had lovely results with the Cobra using a cream with a lot of cushion.

And what grip do you use?
The handle design of the Cobra Classic is the only thing about it that's not intuitive.
The notches are on the front but I naturally grip the sides and have to make a conscious adjustment to accommodate this.
proxy.php

So what are your Cobra Classic confessions?

Actually, Marcus, I also prefer the Cobra Classic. To me it shaves like an Injector razor, which I prefer, because of the head geometry. A Mongoose, while a good razor, handles more like a DE. I also have the King Cobra, but I don't like it as much as the Classic. It is really too big and cumbersome and not as nimble as the Classic. I agree that the Classic handle is not at all intuitive, but I have managed to figure it out and now am comfortable with it. You can't hold it with two or three fingers, but it works if you curl your fingers around it a little and always keep a finger or thumb on the serrations of the handle. The blade flex is apparent, but has never caused me any problems. It feels strange, but is quickly gotten used to. All in all, I prefer the Classic to the other two.

I had a Cobra a couple of years ago. The shave was good but at the time I thought it was a bit to aggressive for me. I agree with the last post in that the Cobra does shave more like an Injector razor where the Mongoose is more like a DE. Of the two I prefer the Mongoose. I found I liked the Feather Pro in both razors the best. Any good puck or stick soap works fine for me.

I only used the Cobra Classic in poonjaji's passaround, but I loved everything about it.
if they weren't crazy money (to me anything over 75 bucks is crazy) I'd have 3.

Very useful information about the grip, and to hear how the Classic compares to the King.

I'm getting equally excellent shaves from the Cobra with the standard Pro and Super blades, but with the Supers there's more of that edgey blade flex that we enjoy so much :)

I too prefer the Cobra..been my daily user for several years. I did not get a comparable shave with Mongoose. I tried the "King" in the pass around and prefer the Classic....but right now aI would buy either so, I always have one!

I thought the classic was awesome, I loved the handle and never had an issue holding it up or down. Wish I hadn't traded it, at times.

I thought the classic was awesome, I loved the handle and never had an issue holding it up or down. Wish I hadn't traded it, at times.

It might be vulgar to ask, but I'm intrigued as to what you traded it for...

... and with every shave I'm becoming more persuaded that the Cobra Classic is the greatest safety razor on Earth!

In terms of actual shave quality, the only razor I've yet used that comes close is the Shavecraft Tech - I'm very surprised to admit this (since it's a DE), and the Cobra is much much better looking and for me much smoother.

The Mongoose is a superb razor, but I still think it shaves like a big Streamline, and in terms of shave quality the Cobra Classic leaves it in the shade.

not at all, i found i was using the SEs or DEs that much at all. the trade was for a torolf strop, a TI old steel le grelot in oem ivory and some other s/w iirc.

It might be vulgar to ask, but I'm intrigued as to what you traded it for...

... and with every shave I'm becoming more persuaded that the Cobra Classic is the greatest safety razor on Earth!

In terms of actual shave quality, the only razor I've yet used that comes close is the Shavecraft Tech - I'm very surprised to admit this (since it's a DE), and the Cobra is much much better looking and for me much smoother.

The Mongoose is a superb razor, but I still think it shaves like a big Streamline, and in terms of shave quality the Cobra Classic leaves it in the shade.

So back to the Classic but with a new technique tonight:
proxy.php

I read of someone's initial experiences with the Cobra Classic in 2009 and they suggested that letting the weight of the razor do the work, which is so effective with DEs, was a mistake with the Cobra.
Instead, they said, use negative pressure, pull back against the weight of the razor and let the blade do the work.
Using this technique, it felt like the razor was barely glancing against my face but the result was SUPERB!!
The grip is also making more sense now - hold it like a bat not like a wand.

So make a fist and pull back on the weight!

Back to the Cobra today.
I really like the way the blade mellows with age and on shave seven the Pro Super is superb:
proxy.php

Still experimenting with the grip - I can hold it like a pen for ATG.
And I'm still wowed out by the Cobra, so smooth, so close, so good looking.

I used cream rather than soap again and it seems to suit this razor very well.

My Cobra was a great razor. For me the Mongoose gives me all the Cobra did in a more comfortable package. The Artist Clubs blades are top notch.

Back to the Cobra today.
I really like the way the blade mellows with age and on shave seven the Pro Super is superb:
proxy.php

Still experimenting with the grip - I can hold it like a pen for ATG.
And I'm still wowed out by the Cobra, so smooth, so close, so good looking.

I used cream rather than soap again and it seems to suit this razor very well.

I finished shave #7 with a Feather Pro Super in my Mongoose today. Great blade. I can't speak to the Cobra, as I've got a general aversion to moving parts and haven't tried razors like Cobras or Schick E2s with spring clamps. Glad they work for others!

My Cobra was a great razor. For me the Mongoose gives me all the Cobra did in a more comfortable package. The Artist Clubs blades are top notch.

The Mongoose and the Cobra seem to polarise opinion.
They are both excellent razors and I have used the standard Pro blades and the Pro Supers in both of them.

I find that I get a much much better shave from the Cobra which I also find to be much smoother and more intuitive (and better looking!)

But some people have exactly the opposite experience so this is a real case of YMMV.
I guess the differences must be due to technique and skin chemistry.

i had one of these cobras and liked the size of the blade, liked the shaves, but didnt like the handle much and didnt like how the handle didnt fit into my brush/razor holder i already had. i sold it. but it did shave nicely.

Another superlative shave with the Cobra Classic this morning.
The more cushion the better!
proxy.php

And I'm realising that there's a different kind of ergonomics going on with the handle - if I don't think about the grip but just grab it then it all makes sense.

Top Bottom