What's new

Cob Forever Stems are Back!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Gents, many of us have purchased and used “Forever Stems” from Walker Briarworks to use with our corncob pipes. If you don’t know, they’re basically a much nicer acrylic or ebonite mouthpiece for your corncob pipe which also makes them smoke better. Well, Walker retired this year. But, Vermont Freehand just posted that they are now selling forever stems with correctly sized tenons in lots of styles. They no longer have the dot jnlay but otherwise are basically the same as the Walker stems. Oh, and they’re 30% cheaper than Walker’s prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knew it would happen eventually. Glad it’s sooner rather than later! Decrease in price makes it very attractive now as I’m still newb. My black plastic stems desperately need to be replaced :scared:

Knew it would happen eventually. Glad it’s sooner rather than later! Decrease in price makes it very attractive now as I’m still newb. My black plastic stems desperately need to be replaced :scared:
My black one isn‘t too bad yet. It’s the brittle feeeling orange ones that I really want to replace. I feel like I could crunch right through one of those if I’m not careful.

Those forever stems seem to be the way to go for those who clench. I'm pretty early in my pipe smoking, so I have to ask. Do forever stems offer anything to those who hold rather than clench? Thanks!

I rarely clench. I own 3 forever stems and value them mostly for their looks! For me, it transforms the humble corncob pipe into something more aesthetically pleasing. I seem to remember reading posts from some clenchers who claimed the Forever Stems were not good clenchers.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Those forever stems seem to be the way to go for those who clench. I'm pretty early in my pipe smoking, so I have to ask. Do forever stems offer anything to those who hold rather than clench? Thanks!

Yes. Especiallly for the filtered pipes, the forever stems are better engineered and give a better draw than the filtered stems either with or without the filter. They also have a better button so it’s more comfortable in general. More durable, several options for different colors and styles, different lengths and shapes.

Yes. Especiallly for the filtered pipes, the forever stems are better engineered and give a better draw than the filtered stems either with or without the filter. They also have a better button so it’s more comfortable in general. More durable, several options for different colors and styles, different lengths and shapes.

I like the draw of the MM stems. It's so wide open that it gives newbies like me a lot of latitude as far as packing the bowl is concerned. On the flip side, I did inhale a couple of hot embers when I first started but once you get past the initial stage, I think they're great. :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

For myself, they offer a much more quality feel to a cob, not to mention a better look. I have the Nosewarmer, spear and Churchwarden stems very happy with them, tho these are the Walker ones from who know how long ago.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I quite like the draw as they are, and quite like the option of filters too. I only clench long enough to strike a match, check my pockets for a lighter, or other momentary use, so I don't see the Forever stems being of any benefit to me. I also balk at the cost being more than several replacement cobs.

Despite not being one for long term clenching, the amber stem on my Mizzou is close to being bitten through. One of the UK stores sells replacement factory stems though, or I could go the whole five pounds sterling and replace the entire pipe. :D

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps you are looking at it from the wrong angle, it’s a FOREVER stem. It’s the cob bowl that gets replaced! Is it a necessity? No. But it is a nice upgrade. Makes a huge difference in the appeal of a cob!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Makes a huge difference in the appeal of a cob!

The appeal of a cob, is that it costs about 1/3 of one of those stems 🤣

I do take your point though. I can see why some folks would be attracted to them. if they took filters, and were freely available over here, I might even get one myself.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For some, cost is not the only appeal to a cob. Some cherish them for their smoking qualities over their relatively low cost.

For some, cost is not the only appeal to a cob. Some cherish them for their smoking qualities over their relatively low cost.
They could all be $20 or more and I would still pay for a good MM cob. Smoking a briar is nice but other than feeling more solid and a different draw, I haven’t noticed any advantages. I’ve only just smoked a briar today. My opinion is subject to change in the future of course.
I still plan to finish a 7 day set of cobs before a briar set.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Aesthetic mostly...and more options.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Link?
I don't know what these are but I need some cobs and ...nice stems?

Top Bottom