What's new

Coating razors with Tungsten DLC

Has anyone tried to have a razor coated in black Tungsten DLC? I have no experience in this area so I don't know how expensive it might be, if someone can even have it done privately, or if it's even feasible. Being an owner of Tungsten DLC combat knives, I've wondered if the coating could be applied to a vintage razor. I think it would definitely be a cool way to refurbish an old blade. Any thoughts?

My understanding is these coatings are applied using pretty high heat which may not be good for a razor and then if you apply it to the entire razor how will you hone it and how will the coating affect the edge. if you only apply it to the razor excluding the edge I don't see the advantage to it.

I've seen DLC applied to watch cases and its pretty expensive.

if you only apply it to the razor excluding the edge I don't see the advantage to it.

The only "advantage" I could see would be some above average rust/corrosion protection, and better scratch resistance. However, I agree, the coating definitely wouldn't provide much more than aesthetic value. I just haven't yet seen a razor with a tungsten DLC coating, and since there are so many knives with it I'm asking, "Why not a razor?"

The scales of razors have always been made with exotic materials, and the blades commonly receive complicated engraving or goldwashes etc. I don't know to much about the history of blade coatings but I'm assuming that by the time tungsten DLC was created straight razors had already lost popularity. If straight razors were still in their heyday right now, I wonder whether or not modern blade steel treatments, such as Tungsten DLC, would be applied to some.

Anyone have some thoughts?

I have some experience of this, having been a Tungsten carbide toolkmaker for many years, although I am by no means an expert on the coating.

It's a cold process - temperatures are less than 200 degrees Celsius, so it should not damage the razor. Coating the cutting edge will make it harder, but only to start with. This is an industrial process designed to reduce friction and cold welding between a cutting tool and the metal it is cutting. Tools need less lubrication while cutting as a result.

Talking about reducing friction, and lubrication might make it sound like a good idea on a razor, but a milling cutter ploughing it's way through a block of aluminium, does not relate in any way to a razor slicing through soapy facial hair!

It could make a razor difficult, if not impossible to strop, and re-honing the razor could do little to the edge, but eat the stone. Getting a successful hone on the razor would also inevitably mean removing the coating anyway.

Isn't tungsten carbide a totally different material and process than DLC. My impression for DLC was it stands for Diamond like carbon and was a process where very hard carbon was deposited on the surface giving a surface with a hardness like a diamond.

In any case I just don't see it being a benefit to a straight razor. They used to coat some razors with chrome as I recall and that never worked out well either.

T

tarasDLC

Thebigspendur , you are correct the DLC and the tungsten carbide are totally different,
tungsten carbide is a material with high content of carbon in it.

The DLC is diamond like carbon coating, there are 2 main ways of applying DLC, sputtering and growing DLC, both processes are performed in high vacuum chambers.

The growing of DLC is done in carbon plasma at 150Celcius, the carbon molecules are extracted from carbon content gases, the result after 8 or so hours is grown amorphous crystal on top of the substrate. It is very easy to grow the DLC on top of the tungsten carbide due to the high content of carbon in the tungsten carbide itself and this type of DLC is the only option to apply DLC on razor sharp polished surfaces. The result is mirror like DLC, which is approx 2 microns in thickness and the sharp edge is maintained. This DLC will also withstand acid exposure.

The other DLC is sputtering which is done at very high temperatures 500Celsius, the carbon chunks are extracted from graphite itself, it is good for many industrial applications, but there are complications to applying on polished surfaces and the result is matte DLC. This DLC is much faster to complete approx 1 hour.

It will be expensive to coat just one knife in both type of DLC.

There aren't that many companies which can offer such thing.

I know one experimental shop which you can give a try thought www dot dlc-coating dot ca

We have tried tungsten carbide wedding bands with them and they were the only shop which have coated the rings with no marks completely and evenly, usually I was told by other guys the ring has to be suspended by a wire or a holder in a vacuum chamber and the place where it is being held will be uncoated, which of coarse is not a good thing for a ring.

Definitely doesn't sound like it would be cost effective or practical. I imagine it would eliminate any value that a vintage razor would have... and if it was something with little value that you just wanted to preserve, it sounds like it would be too expensive to make it worth bothering.

Top Bottom