What's new

Coates

Hmmm. No reviews of Coates in the Review Section. I see a few of you out there using this stuff in SOTDs, etc. This is actually one of the few products out there I haven't tried. Opinions?

Scotto said:
Hmmm. No reviews of Coates in the Review Section. I see a few of you out there using this stuff in SOTDs, etc. This is actually one of the few products out there I haven't tried. Opinions?

Scotto,

I have Coates' Sandalwood and Lime tubes. It's the only sandalwood I have used that I like...very light scent. The Limes is refreshing. Unfortunately, because of where they are stored, they don't get much use...seem to forget that I have them!

Check with Gordon at SMF. He is a big Coates fan.

Randy

Scotto said:

Scotto,
I have owned the entire Coate's line of shaving creams and while I think their lavender is marvelous (scent wise) I find the performance of the cream just "good." By all means - it is not a bad shaving cream, but I do feel Taylors, Trumper, T&H, DR Harris, AOS, Salter, etc are a cut (and in some cases) or two above Coates. Being that coates is quite a bit more expensive than the aformentioned brands - I am not too interested in it. Also - because of the caps (on the tubes) having a tendency to break, it became a mild annoyance to use... I actually gave most of them away to Nick a few years back when he first started wetshaving.

Scotto said:
Who am I kidding? I ordered some already... :cool:

A man after my own heart!! I have two Coates creams and they are quite good. While not my favorites, they're certainly worth being in the rotation as far as I'm concerned. The tea tree scent still has not grown on me that much, kind of medicinal.

Well, I have used the Lime and Tea Tree tubs that I got. I was underwhelmed by the Lime. Nice enough shave, but the scent didn't do it for me.

The Tea Tree, however, I thought was very, very good. The scent wasn't as overpowering as I feared, and the shave was top notch. Interestingly, I found that the alcohol-based aftershave splash I used after it hardly stung at all. I think the astringent/toning properties help close up your pores. This is one people should try.

Coates Almond is the finest Almond scent IMHO, and their Rose/Lavender are splendid as well. Performance wise? Not bad... but I prefer the 3T's and Salters, not to mention they are less expensive.

Scotto said:
Well, I have used the Lime and Tea Tree tubs that I got. I was underwhelmed by the Lime. Nice enough shave, but the scent didn't do it for me.

The Tea Tree, however, I thought was very, very good. The scent wasn't as overpowering as I feared, and the shave was top notch. Interestingly, I found that the alcohol-based aftershave splash I used after it hardly stung at all. I think the astringent/toning properties help close up your pores. This is one people should try.
The Coates Rose is really delightful. Especially if you have a schnoz that enjoys florals. The tea tree has that lovely tea tree medicinal scent, (bleah) but provides a wonderful shave. Seems like we have shared experience here.

joel said:
Coates Almond is the finest Almond scent IMHO, and their Rose/Lavender are splendid as well. Performance wise? Not bad... but I prefer the 3T's and Salters, not to mention they are less expensive.
I guess you'll be passing along all those Coates tubes you just got from Simpsons, then...:rolleyes: :001_smile :cool: :tongue_sm

Top Bottom