What's new

Coate's Shaving Creams

Saw good prices on Coate's shave creams recently and plan to pick some up. Question is if Coate's is worthwhile and if any of the fragrances are to be avoided! :biggrin1:

Coates is a fabulous cream. Their Lavender cream is my favorite shave cream of all time, and I bought enough to last me for a long while. for me, nothing performs better, and I love the scent. Rose and Sandalwood are also terrific. Almond is nice, though the fragrance is very subtle. A little goes a long way, so it's also reasonably priced. As it's discontinued, get it while you can.

Dave

Coate's is an excellent cream. I sure wish they still made it! Get some from Andy while you can. Here is the link:
http://www.coatescream.com/

The three I keep on hand are Lavender, Lime, and Sandalwood.

proxy.php

I bought all 6 from Andy. I will only re-stock the lime. The rest are just so-so on scent imo. But they all lather and protect well.

Looking forward to trying this stuff out. Hopefully it's as good as people say, though it sounds like not everyone is so fond of it. I'm surprised Andy has such a stock of this still.

I bought 2 tubes each of Tea Tree and Lime. I have oily acne prone skin (even nearing 50) and thought these would be best. Just got them and tried the Tea Tree this morning. Lathered up easily, but not much scent. I didn't get a Tea Tree oil smell, but just a hint of a sort of musty old smell. The 1st pass was fine, but the 2nd and 3rd it seemed like most of the slickness and cushion were gone. I still had a ton of lather, but it seemed kind of dry. On the 3rd pass I gave my face a quick scrub with some glycerine soap just to get some slickness back into the shave. Overall I had a very nice shave (using an Injector), but I think I'll need to add glycerine or maybe use a shave oil with this cream in the future?

KCee try a bit more cream when you start, sounds like the subsequent lathers had too much water and not enough product.

I'm very fond of the Lime and Sandalwood scents. Those two are just really nice. I'm excited to try one of them out on Friday!

Not for me; tried a couple, rose and lavender, and was disappointed by both - smell and performance not so hot. I'm totally in the minority here, so I'll shut up.

I bought the sample pack of all 6 but I've only tried the rose which IMHO was unremarkable. But don't take my comments to the bank quite yet because I seem to be in the minority too.

KCee try a bit more cream when you start, sounds like the subsequent lathers had too much water and not enough product.

Good advice thanks! Seemed like I still had a ton of nice lather, but every cream and soap has its sweet spot and I probably just didn't get it on the 1st try. The feeling could have been related to the blade too as I was probably at least nearing it's last shave.

What is the projected shelf life for Coates? I thought creams had a finite life expectancy - much shorter compared to soap.

What is the projected shelf life for Coates? I thought creams had a finite life expectancy - much shorter compared to soap.

They do dehydrate, that's why I transfer tube SCs to tubs, when they dry out, I treat it like a soft soap, easy to load from a tub. I've never experienced a loss in performance, though the scent may fade a bit. I actually found my discontinued AOS Rose SC to perform better when it dehydrated.

I tried the Lime tonight and it was just OK. It lathers up easily enough but the slickness and cushion don't seem as good as others I've used.

Tea tree is my favorite of the six from a scent standpoint. Almond least favorite, if only because the scent is kind of meh.

I had a go with the lime last night and I like it. I bought the 6-pack and I'm still working my way through those. The scent is pretty subtle but that might be due to their age.

Top Bottom