What's new

Coate's Shave Superior Shave Cream.

A couple of years ago I saw a thread about this cream and I remember looking it up on Google and was going to order it but IIRC we were at freezing temps so I thought I would wait to order some and of course I forgot all about it. For some reason this popped into my head yesterday(too much free time on my hands now) so I did a search on here about it and the search box here absolutely useless so back to Google and found the website. I started an order and noticed to contact to see what is available so sent off an email yesterday. Got a response back and the tubes I wanted were available so ended up buying 5 of the scents(no almond as I am not much of a fan of it) and a combination of 10 tubes to get free shipping. Did a lot of reading on the articles I found on Google, some linked to here, and it appears these tubes are at least 15 years old now and still sounds like they are still good, they will probably 30 years old by the time I use them up if I live that long. Feel free to post any experience with them and will update on the first shave after they arrive.

I went through 5 of these small (50ml) tubes. Good stuff and inexpensive.
Note the old plastic of the screw-cap is fragile: a normal twisting of the cap easily cracked the hub free from the shell of the cap, allowing the contents to slowly dessicate.
A couple tubes arrived with already cracked caps and were dried out. I did salvage the contents in an old tub, and re-hydrated with 4-5ml of distilled water, which worked reasonably well, but much of the scent was gone.
Seller promptly replaced those tubes, which I appreciated.
Still got really great shaves.

Last edited:
I will keep that in mind about the caps. If nothing else I will transfer to some Dollar Store containers. I was wondering about the scents and if there was much left. I am looking forward to when they arrive to give them a try. I really didn't need anymore software but thought before they disappeared I would get some.

I just noticed I have an extra "Shave" in the title. Proof read my post but never looked at the title. Oh well.

I had a good experience with them. I bought 24, and only 2 or 3 were dried out duds. Fantastic creams that would be welcome if still manufactured.

At one time there was an individual on B&B who had a huge stash of these creams. I bought six and have used up three of them. Every one of them have been excellent.

Received an email from the seller(coatescream.com) apologized for the shipping delay and was given a small refund. That was generous and was unexpected. I have 2-sandalwood, 1-tea tree, 3-lime, 3-lavendar, 1-rose coming. Of course I had to get 10 to get the free shipping and it also seems like a good deal. 17 ounces of cream, what was I thinking!!! If any are dried up I would just transfer to a tub and use like a soap. Liking creams lately because I can get a lather quicker and easier, it's not like I have to be in a rush these days.

My shipment arrived yesterday. I opened the boxed and of course had to sniff some of them and they all smell good except I don't care for the Tea Tree scent. Gave the rose scent a try this morning and considering how old it is it has pretty good scent to it but on the mild side. I still don't know what I was thinking buying more shave cream but it is a good cream so that helps.

I tried the tea tree and I can't say as I like that scent. A little thick as it took a little squeezing to get it flowing but not to thick that it wouldn't come out. I do have to admit these creams are quite good, slick and perform well. Not sure what I will do with the tea tree as I don't think I will be using that much. Have the lime, lavender and the sandalwood to try yet.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I bought a bunch of tubes last year, and thought that the price was right, the quality was great, and the customer service was better than one should expect. Good stuff- I especially like the lime and the sandalwood scents.

These Coates creams are awesome!

Great scents (mid level strength) and fantastic performance!

If I had access to more, I'd buy a whole bunch!!

These Coates creams are awesome!

Great scents (mid level strength) and fantastic performance!

If I had access to more, I'd buy a whole bunch!!

They are still available. Not sure if I am allowed to link the website but just Google it. $1.70 per tube and shipping depends on how many you buy, the more you buy the cheaper it is and if you buy 10+ it is free. I did email the person to make sure what I wanted was still available, he responded in less than 24 hours. I did smell the 5 scents I bought when they arrived and they are all about medium as you mentioned. The rose does seem a little fake but it smells about the same as my tin of LPL Rose de Pushkar. Only scent I didn't get was the Almond.

Edit: I just clicked on your profile and noticed you are in India/Australia so I would guess he might not ship them to where you are.

Reactions: nav
I gotta say, you Enablers are frigging relentless!

$1.50 a tube?! The deal-loving cheapskate on my shoulder is screaming "DO it!"

Mr. Practicality, sitting on the right shoulder, is saying very matter-of-factly "You know you don't need it."

Edit: I asked my son if he wanted to try one, then convinced him, since they were so inexpensive, to try two--which of course meant I was now rationally able to try two myself. I'm confused; I'm not sure if I hate myself or delighted. In case anyone was wondering: I'm going with Lime and Tea Tree (love my tea tree bar shampoos), and he's going with Sandalwood and Lime.

Last edited:
They are still available. Not sure if I am allowed to link the website but just Google it. $1.70 per tube and shipping depends on how many you buy, the more you buy the cheaper it is and if you buy 10+ it is free. I did email the person to make sure what I wanted was still available, he responded in less than 24 hours. I did smell the 5 scents I bought when they arrived and they are all about medium as you mentioned. The rose does seem a little fake but it smells about the same as my tin of LPL Rose de Pushkar. Only scent I didn't get was the Almond.

Edit: I just clicked on your profile and noticed you are in India/Australia so I would guess he might not ship them to where you are.

Yeah, unfortunately they won't ship to me.
I went through the tubes I had and it was an enjoyable experience.

I put the performance at the level of GFT/DRHarris creams, which is to say Coates are very high performing creams at an unbelievable price!

Mr. Practicality, sitting on the right shoulder, is saying very matter-of-factly "You know you don't need it."

Edit: I asked my son if he wanted to try one, then convinced him, since they were so inexpensive, to try two--which of course meant I was now rationally able to try two myself. I'm confused; I'm not sure if I hate myself or delighted. In case anyone was wondering: I'm going with Lime and Tea Tree (love my tea tree bar shampoos), and he's going with Sandalwood and Lime.

I loved the tea tree cream!
The scent is pure, unadulterated tea tree!!

Hope you guys enjoy the creams!
My unsolicited advice is to get all the scents as they are very nice and at the price, the risk is low...even negligible considering that if you don't like a scent, your son might, and vice versa.

Yeah, unfortunately they won't ship to me.
I went through the tubes I had and it was an enjoyable experience.

I put the performance at the level of GFT/DRHarris creams, which is to say Coates are very high performing creams at an unbelievable price!

Hope you guys enjoy the creams!

I have GFT Lime and DR Harris Arlington and I think the performance of Coate's is above that of those 2. Too bad you can't get ahold of some more. I was quite astounded by the performance considering the price.

So far I am enjoying the shaves of the 2 I tried but again tea tree is just not for me.

$1.70 a tube and yes I am an enabler and I think you should get at least 10 to get the free shipping!!! :biggrin1:

• Haha
Yesterday I tried the sandalwood and it is a different smell than other sandalwoods I have tried, more of a woody scent and I like this. Performance was great and I am liking these creams. Since the tube is small I don't think these will last that long, it seems I use a little more than usual to get a lather. Maybe it is just me being the tubes are so small. Lime and lavender left to try.

Got mine today. Some are for my son. Going to use the Lime tomorrow--looking forward do that!

IMG_3483.jpeg

Glad you got your cream.

I used the lavender on Tuesday, nice scent and it was an enjoyable shave. This evening I used the lime, another okay scent scent. I would say Sandalwood is my favorite, rose and lavender about equal for second followed by lime and of course I really dislike the tea tree. Been trying to use that for a hand soap and still can't get over how bad the scent is to my nose. The lime had a huge air bubble in it and don't think it is was only about half full. I don't think that tube will last long, actually I don't think I will get all that great of a mileage out of any of them at the amount I have been using. Maybe that is a good thing since I have so many other creams/soaps to use up.

Top Bottom