What's new

Coates cream

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I recently bought something on BST and the seller threw in a tube of Lime Coates Cream as a freebie. I really liked it both in scent and performance. I looked it up and saw it was discontinued, but still available from a guy who bought a lot of it up. Price was right so I ordered a few in every scent. The vendor- Andy- was great to work with and at less than 2 bucks a tube, it seems like a great value. It does not seem to get much love around here, but I'm sold on the stuff. OK, maybe not the rose or almond scent, but the others are pretty good!

I believe Coates creams were an extension of the old Simpson Brush Company before it was sold to Vulfix.

It was considered in those times as the best of the best in creams.

There was a brief attempt to revive Coates by Robert and Charlotte of the old Gentleman's Shop in England but it didn't work out for various business reasons I am told.

Alas, it is discontinued now like so many things of Western Civilization so it is only a few scraps here and there. A dream now, Gone With the Wind.

Chris

Hello, Sir Newfarm!

I picked up a variety of the Coates creams some time ago.
All nice shave creams, with good performance and scents.
These are from the main UK supplier of shave creams, Creightons.
Don't despair, you will find similar creams in current production from brands such as T&H, TOBS, DRH, St James of London.

coates almond dovo merkur vision gillette nacet taylor of old bond st james april 18 2018.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Hey Sarimento1,
I have been meaning to try those, especially TOBS.
Also, gotta say I really enjoy your pictures!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I had bought a bunch of it I kept some and sold some on the Sue Auction. I wished I would have kept a lot more.

I tried a few Coates creams, but I never really liked them. I PIFed them on. The shaves were just OK, and I really disliked the scents. Lavender especially. I'm mainly a soap guy, but I love Speick cream and TOBS grapefruit cream, so I'm no soap purist.

I bought 4 of each scent way back, shortly after Andy picked up that remaining stock. I loved the performance of them all, but preferred the Tea Tree by a wide margin. They also have the only sandalwood scent that I like. It’s a shame they are no longer made, but they’ve been out of production for more than a decade.

Top Bottom