What's new

Coal in your stocking; worst gift

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That sounds like a gift my father got at church, which he crammed into a waste basket. And I do mean crammed. That thing was wedged in it, box and all.
ya a paper weight is not a gift
Unless you work in a wind tunnel or near an open window perhaps

I can honestly think of some that would make nice gifts, but they aren't plain rocks. They're things like glass globes with a representation of the galaxy inside.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
On a family trip to Disney World with the family (10 of us) during president's week (don't ever go then) there were 72,000 people one of the days. A charming older woman on an electric scooter ran into the ankle I turned into many pieces a few years before (exclaiming, "I don't know how to stop!") and I ended up limping for the rest of the way too crowded week. My daughter-in-law, a Disney planner, was unimpressed with my limp and constantly led so quickly that I was often left behind and lost. Then I was castigated for not looking happy enough.

My gift that year: a Grumpy (SW & the 7) t-shirt.

But all was not lost. It turns out the shirt makes an excellent dust rag in my wood shop - nice and soft. And I will never, ever go back to Disney.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I got Soap on a Rope once. Would have been great if I had chosen the career path of a criminal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The good gift buying gene is simply absent in most people.

Thoughtfulness does not require $. Decades ago when I was in college, scraping by on the GI Bill, I went to the school library, looked up the front page of the NY Times for the date everyone was born (on microfiche), printed it, then inexpensively framed the pages as gifts.

Mac

My in-laws got me a "poker game in a box" one year. Terrible quality cards, cheap plastic chips, and a flimsy felt cloth to put over the table and deal on. They meant well, but . . .

I was given modern Casswell Massey Sandalwood shaving soap..... The stuff is basically unlatherable..... Though, the fancy black wooden bowl was nice to plop a puck of Tallow AoS Sandalwood in.

When I was younger I got embarrassed easily. About twenty years ago at an office gift exchange, in front of everyone of course, I was given a box of rainbow condoms. I didn't know what to say or how to react which made my embarrassment all the more acute. The ladies thought it was hi-LARious. For the next few months I was being asked if I had tried them, do they glow in the dark, have I used them up yet, etc.

Nowadays I would just look at the ladies and say, Who's first?

Gentleman Jack....every year a bottle from a good friend. Never liked that whiskey. Fortunately the local liquor store was liberal with their exchange policy.....

Didn't receive, rather gifted...

Always have been problems between my sibling and I, and one year it was really bad. So, Christmas rolls around, and in written in the card to them was "For all the **** you've given me this year...". They didn't get the reference until they opened the package: 96-count toilet paper. ;)

I enjoy the white elephant ones and those can sometimes get a bit risque. My brother moved into a house and found a bunch of canvases left behind by the former owner. One was a nude reclining male. This was framed and passed around the family before finally becoming part of an office white elephant exchange.
Then an article shows up in the paper - "Early David Hockney painting discovered, auctioned for 17M$".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, when I was a kid, there were two kinds of presents ... toys, and bad presents.

Fortunately, as I grew up, I found greater appreciation for those "bad" ones, and some of them have risen quite highly in my estimation ... still have them and use them after all these years.

We often got a chuckle from some of the presents our grandmother would send us, in a good natured way. One of the everlasting highlights was a package of 1,000 brown lunch bags. Oh, we needed the bags and used them that's for sure. But the postage for her to mail them to us, wrapped up and in a mailing box, probably cost more than the bags themselves.

I was given modern Casswell Massey Sandalwood shaving soap..... The stuff is basically unlatherable..... Though, the fancy black wooden bowl was nice to plop a puck of Tallow AoS Sandalwood in.

Ah ... the good ol' Crapwell Massey. Glad the reformulat-pocalypse hasn't ruined this old chestnut.

The ghosts of too many Christmases/Decembers past, coming home Christmas day, (my wife with the flu) and finding the basement, floor drain just starting to bubble up a strange brew across the floor, drywall for upstairs renos on the floor, rescued before getting wet, another year midnight Dec.23, the fridge is dead, circuit board replaced Dec 27, (2nd of 3 of those) another year, Dec.23, the furnace dies, it's Canada, Dec. 30th new one installed, had started the ball rolling on getting a new one during the fall but emergency brain surgery in October and November had derailed that project. Other December's, collapsed sewer line $3000, broken water main, $3000, wife blows out a knee...

T'is a month i'd like removed from my calendar, 31 days spent on edge always checking over my shoulder.
dave

Gee, Dave, you are a guy with a black cloud over your head, at least in December.

And I think my water heater is starting to go....

Gee, Dave, you are a guy with a black cloud over your head, at least in December.

And I think my water heater is starting to go....

There's nothing quite like December, it's my wife's birthday this week, i'm not ready... And winter begins in December, if there was no December, winter would never begin.

We rent out water heater, that one would not be so bad.
dave

Christmas has tended to be a bad time for me. I won't go there because there's no point in bringing down the holidays for everyone else. Davent's "always checking over my shoulder" is a good way to put it.

If I were to tally good and bad Christmases, the good would probably outweigh the bad. Yet it's the bad, by the nature of how they were bad, that tends to stick in my mind.

As for repairs, that's never seemed to cluster around Christmas for us, but has tended to happen late at night. My wife dubbed us the Midnight Fixit Shop. It helps to keep various repair parts on hand.

Top Bottom