What's new

CMP Program

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
M-1 Garrands are still available from what I hear, the others not so much. If someone knows better, please correct me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Wow, more expensive than what I expected. Goes with the times I suppose. Thanks for the link. Since I have two civilian 1911s, I'm good. I bought my Garrand back in the 80's, not from CMP, for about $300 IIRC and got my M1 carbine for a song as well.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just looked at pricing, you can buy a new Colt cheaper. It’s a bit of history though.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Wow, more expensive than what I expected. Goes with the times I suppose. Thanks for the link. Since I have two civilian 1911s, I'm good. I bought my Garrand back in the 80's, not from CMP, for about $300 IIRC and got my M1 carbine for a song as well.
You’re very welcome ... considering that clean, complete (as-issued) 1911A1s can fetch upwards of $3K, $1050 seems somewhat reasonable. However, that said, lottery CMP A1s can be a crap shoot - i.e., they may possess civilian components ... and I’ve seen some service grade A1s with slides that bear nothing but a S/N rollmark & others, such as the Colt below, that I believe to be worth the asking price:

CMP Service Grade

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I will concur that for the collector, the price is right. Just not for the shooter looking to get a bargain priced 1911. YMMV. I'd love to have the original, just can't justify the price at the moment, having two functional civilian 1911s on hand.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I will concur that for the collector, the price is right. Just not for the shooter looking to get a bargain priced 1911. YMMV. I'd love to have the original, just can't justify the price at the moment, having two functional civilian 1911s on hand.
I’m with you, sir ... now talking out of the other side of my mouth, a CMP 1911A1 would be a compromise of sorts & as a favorite college prof once quipped, “Compromise is where neither side gets what it really wants”. At once, it’s both a pricey shooter & a reasonably priced (mildly) collectible.

After having experienced my friend’s provenantial wartime Colt & Remington Rand A1s and their Boyt rigs, I really couldn’t be happy with anything less ... which means that I won’t be purchasing a USGI A1 anytime soon.

Conversely, the $400 & change laid out for Springer Mil-Spec .45 shooter a couple years back remains some of the wisest money I’ve spent.

Top Bottom