What's new

CMP 1911 auction.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
No gaurantee on the condition if chosen?
They fall into one of 3 “grades”. 2 of the 3 are in issuable condition and the the 3rd may need some work to get into issuable condition. Price is based on the grade you choose. All these pistols have been rebuilt at least once since they were first issued and probably more than once. Any truly “correct” 1911 will be placed onto CMP’s auction site and will sell for $$$.
I got number 20068.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
They fall into one of 3 “grades”. 2 of the 3 are in issuable condition and the the 3rd may need some work to get into issuable condition. Price is based on the grade you choose. All these pistols have been rebuilt at least once since they were first issued and probably more than once. Any truly “correct” 1911 will be placed onto CMP’s auction site and will sell for $$$.
I got number 20068.

you are better off than me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
you are better off than me.
I don’t think you’ll be out of luck. You may not get as many grades to choose from but there should be pistols available. There’s a lot of speculation about the random number generator at CMP. Does your number mean that there are 8,887 people ahead of you or that the RNG simply assigned you a number between 20000 and 35000? Nobody seems to know and CMP ain’t saying. I have seen numbers in the 33000 range so far in this go round.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I don’t think you’ll be out of luck. You may not get as many grades to choose from but there should be pistols available. There’s a lot of speculation about the random number generator at CMP. Does your number mean that there are 8,887 people ahead of you or that the RNG simply assigned you a number between 20000 and 35000? Nobody seems to know and CMP ain’t saying. I have seen numbers in the 33000 range so far in this go round.
That makes me feel a little better. I want a govt issues 1911. If I have to I can spend a bit more money on it to make it useable.

I'm glad I've already got 2, a 1918 Colt that somebody polish blued [emoji25] and an Ithaca from the next war. I wish you guys all the luck in the auction. Hopefully they pull the numbers randomly rather than chronologically and you guys all hit the jackpot.

In the landing force locker on my first ship there was a 1911 that I swear had a Ford script on the slide. I've never found any evidence Ford ever produced them. If they did I'd sure like to have one.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I got the call yesterday. Chose a Service grade. The copy CMP had on file of my dealer’s FFL was expired so once they get the current copy attached to my order I should have the pistol 3 days later. I’m hoping for late next week. I’ll post pictures when I get it.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I got the call yesterday. Chose a Service grade. The copy CMP had on file of my dealer’s FFL was expired so once they get the current copy attached to my order I should have the pistol 3 days later. I’m hoping for late next week. I’ll post pictures when I get it.

By reading the CMP forum it seems this round started at 20,000. If that is the case there is still over 8,000 people ahead of me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
By reading the CMP forum it seems this round started at 20,000. If that is the case there is still over 8,000 people ahead of me.
That’s if all of those numbers were assigned and everybody that sent in an application still wants a pistol when they get called. You’re right though, there are quite a few people in front of you. I think they estimated 1000 orders a month during the 1st round so maybe an 8mo wait?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I think they only had around 8,000 the 1st round, that is what concerns me. But like you said nobody knows for sure but CMP.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I think they only had around 8,000 the 1st round, that is what concerns me. But like you said nobody knows for sure but CMP.
That 8,000 was the 1st shipment. CMP is authorized to receive up to 10,000 1911’s per fiscal year from the Military. The first shipment of 8k was in FY 2019. The thought is that FY 2020 and now FY 2021 each got another 8-10k pistols. And that there are probably a few thousand left over from round 1 so somewhere between 10-12k pistols to send out in round 2. This is all of course best case scenario. Also there were apparently quite a few who didn’t get pistols in round 1 for a number of reasons like changing their mind, CMP unable to reach them, and of course the folks who failed the back ground check.

edit to add: FFL called me today. Pistol is here, I’ll pick it up tomorrow.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The only thing I wish I would have done differently is been in a bigger hurry to send my application. When they said random # generator I thought it was random so time did not matter. It appears they are going out in the order applications were received.

I can’t wait to see what you got.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
$1050, $950, and $850 depending on grade. With my high number I am expecting something in the $950 range. I have not heard of anyone getting a pistol that needs a lot of work as they are all sold in useable condition. Some are just prettier.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Picked this up today. Remington Rand frame and slide. 1945 production- probably sometime between April and June. Without doing a complete tear down it looks like everything is correct except the mainspring housing (possibly colt), grips (Korean war era replacements), and barrel. Barrel is a TZ/IMI replacement dated 1985. I cannot find any rebuild marks on it the park job looks old but not original. This pistol has definitely seen some use. Even the replacement barrel looks like it’s been used quite a bit. Bore still looks good and the barrel locks up tight in the lugs. Very little rattle with good slide/frame fit. Magazine looks like its been used as well but the spring still feels like it’s got some life in it. Time to hit the reloading bench with some Bullseye and 230g FMJs. I’ll do a complete tear down later this week. Overall I’m very happy.
4571F156-5AE2-419E-AA25-48D7517EC05D.jpegBFB5F9B0-D9F0-4474-B7A5-96D8C3129ED3.jpeg20B34162-EFF0-476A-B0D4-08135FDF5488.jpeg image.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Thanks for the pics Adam. I hope to be able to post by Christmas. :lol:

When did you send in your packet?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks for the pics Adam. I hope to be able to post by Christmas. :lol:

When did you send in your packet?
I sent my packet overnight by USPS on Jan 4. I didn't track it so I have no idea when it actually got there.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The more I read on the CMP 1911 forum the more I like B&B. We all get along here and respect the rules and if you don't ... we generally take care of that.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The more I read on the CMP 1911 forum the more I like B&B. We all get along here and respect the rules and if you don't ... we generally take care of that.
Yep. I used to be an active member of a couple of the gun forums but quit being active because of the stuff people would post. It always bothered me when people would post new purchases, especially new gun owners, and they’d get trashed because their new AR didn’t conform to “the chart” or the “lasers are for sissies” comments. CMP forums are usually pretty good but there are a few instigators for sure.

Top Bottom