Straight Razor Shave #137

Pre Shave: CBL Preshave
Razor: Harvard Cutlery Co. Pearlette
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Black & White Synthetic
Soap: Arko Shave Stick
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Clubman Reserve Gents Gin After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Cerruti 1881 Pour Homme EdT

Staying with the shave sticks. Today I selected the Arko. Hey if the scent doesn't bother you, this is great soap!
Easy to lather and slick! Great residual slickness. Rubbed some on my face and whipped up a great lather with the Maggard brush.
3½ passes with the Pearlette. Picked up a couple of slight weepers on my chin. Other than that BBS shave. No alum sting.
Finished with the Gents Gins and a few vasilis of the Cerruti 1881. There is a lot going on in this scent. I'm not able to pick out any individual notes today. I do like this scent. From basenotes.com:

Top Notes
Bergamot, Lemon, Clove, Basil, Tarragon, Cypress, Rosemary, Lavender, Juniper berry
Heart Notes
Ylang-ylang, Rose, Blackcurrant
Base notes
Sandalwood, Wood musk, Balsam fir, Amber
Silage is okay and longevity is good still a nice skin scent at 5 hours.

Setup 3-9-2018
Setup-3-9-2018.jpg

Typical Friday night for me. Enjoying a Liga Privada No. 9 cigar and and Glenlivet 12 Single Malt Scotch.

I'm right there with you on Arko Craig...very solid performer, just below Stirling for performance, though I milled mine into a tin as I don't like sticks. Nice shave!!!

I'm right there with you on Arko Craig...very solid performer, just below Stirling for performance, though I milled mine into a tin as I don't like sticks. Nice shave!!!

Thanks Josh!
From a cost vs performance vs ease of use, it really is hard to beat!

Catching up Craig, nice stuff. if you are going to use Arko, you need to follow it with the veg as an aftershave, then follow up with TabacaVeg, LOL

As you may remember I did a restoration on a straight razor that was my grandad's.
Web-20180104_155712.jpg

It really needed repining, so I decided to do that a several weeks ago.
Web-20180104_155719.jpg

Unfortunately this happened.
20180117_125649.jpg

So I've spent today working on making a new set of scales out of some Ivory Paper - Aged Micarta
Just have them shaped and rough sanded at this point.
20180310_184327.jpg

3-10-2018
Pre Shave: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Cleansing Gel
DE Razor: Rockwell 6S R4 plate
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Envy Shave 24mm White Supreme 2 Band Badger Alluminati Classic - Blue
Soap: Palmolive Shave Stick
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Christian Dior Fahrenheit After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Christian Dior Fahrenheit EdT

Staying with the shave sticks. Palmolive was up today. This is another good performing stick for me, not as slick as Arko, but more than adequate and this scent is pleasing to me. The Envy whipped up a great lather.

I just wasn't in the mood for some reason to use a straight today. Maybe hand shaping and sanding those scales had something to do with it. Anyhow I thought I had achieved a grail worthy shave, but as I was apply the witch hazel, i notice a drop of blood in the sink, what the heck? Yeah a weeper on the chin. Just one drop of blood, and the alum sealed it off. Other than that a BBS+ shave with no alum sting.

Finished up with a good splash of the Fahrenheit ASL and followed that with a few vasilis of the EdT.

Setup 3-10-2018
Setup-3-10-2018.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom