What's new

Clubman Shave Soap (seven-consecutive-shaves-trial) Review

I completed my seven day trial of Clubman Shave Soap this morning.
Clubman_2023-01-07.jpg

TL;DR it’s great!

Details if you’re up for a read:
I’ll list my pros and cons below, and chat about it below that.

PROs:
  • The Clubman website says: “A Rich, creamy lather that sets the beard up for the perfect shave in minutes! The Clubman® Shave Soap is very easy to use on your beard and face and leaves your skin feeling refreshed and smooth.” I agree with all of that. :cornut:
  • The scent is pleasant and inoffensive. (It matches well with Clubman Classic Vanilla ASL, as many B&B members have mentioned.)
  • It loads and lathers (to one’s desired consistency) easily and fast.
  • The feel of the lather on the face and neck is most pleasant.
  • The pleasant skin feel lasts easily till the next shave. (On this trial my shaves were every day, barring one two-day.) I was pleased about this as I have dryish skin on my face and hands.
  • It’s a soft soap. The surface is below the tub top and dead level (unlike the mountainous topography of some) which makes for easy loading.
  • It’s a dream to use. (That’s what I found anyway. :biggrin:)

CONs:
  • The internal diameter of the little tub is only 2½”. So using any shaving brush bigger than tiny (i.e. knot size less than 18mm) could be a problem for those who load from the tub. (I’m a tub loader, and used my 14mm knot “Kleiner Bayer” throughout the trial.)

COMMENTS:
Notwithstanding the mixed reviews it gets, I just got the urge to try one.

When it arrived I liked the look of it. The scent was pleasant enough, but has grown on me with use… I love it now. :001_wub:

My first evening shave with it was great. I wasn’t sure if that was just beginner’s luck. It wasn’t, it just got better every shave. I look forward to my shaves even more now!

Following my shaves I used a different ASL each time (six Clubmans and one home brew). I find that Clubman, Clubman VIBR, and Lilac Vegetal dry my skin a little… so I add 10% glycerin to them. Clubman Musk, Clubman Classic Vanilla, and Whiskey Woods don’t dry my skin.

IMO Clubman got their Shave Soap just right. Scent wise it’s perfect with Clubman Classic Vanilla… but it complements all the others too.

Again, I’m in love :001_wub:, and to prove it… look what arrived today:
Clubman-MORE_2023-01-07.jpg

My first tub cost £5 (~$6) shipped. My six pack of tubs cost £19 (~$23) shipped, from HERE.

That’s the first time I’ve ever purchased more than ONE SHAVE SOAP. :letterk1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1584426

TL;DR it’s great!

PROs:
  • The Clubman website says: “A Rich, creamy lather that sets the beard up for the perfect shave in minutes! The Clubman® Shave Soap is very easy to use on your beard and face and leaves your skin feeling refreshed and smooth.” I agree with all of that. :cornut:
  • The scent is pleasant and inoffensive. (It matches well with Clubman Classic Vanilla ASL, as many B&B members have mentioned.)
  • The pleasant skin feel lasts easily till the next shave. (On this trial my shaves were every day, barring one two-day.) I was pleased about this as I have dryish skin on my face and hands.
  • It’s a soft soap. The surface is below the tub top and dead level (unlike the mountainous topography of some) which makes for easy loading.

CONs:
  • The internal diameter of the little tub is only 2½”. So using any shaving brush bigger than tiny (i.e. knot size less than 18mm) could be a problem for those who load from the tub. (I’m a tub loader, and used my 14mm knot “Kleiner Bayer” throughout the trial.)

COMMENTS:

When it arrived I liked the look of it. The scent was pleasant enough, but has grown on me with use… I love it now. :001_wub:

My first evening shave with it was great. I wasn’t sure if that was just beginner’s luck. It wasn’t, it just got better every shave. I look forward to my shaves even more now!

Following my shaves I used a different ASL each time (six Clubmans and one home brew). I find that Clubman, Clubman VIBR, and Lilac Vegetal dry my skin a little… so I add 10% glycerin to them. Clubman Musk, Clubman Classic Vanilla, and Whiskey Woods don’t dry my skin.

IMO Clubman got their Shave Soap just right. Scent wise it’s perfect with Clubman Classic Vanilla… but it complements all the others too.

View attachment 1584415

My first tub cost £5 (~$6) shipped. My six pack of tubs cost £19 (~$23) shipped, from HERE.

Enabler

I really love this soap. My only two complaints is that it doesn't last. The tub is empty far too soon and that they should sell it in larger quantities (at least double the quantity). Doubling the price wouldn't put them in a high price range.

I really love this soap. My only two complaints is that it doesn't last. The tub is empty far too soon and that they should sell it in larger quantities (at least double the quantity). Doubling the price wouldn't put them in a high price range.
Jim, I weighed my tub before the first shave and then after each shave. (Amazingly) I used 0.5 grams precisely for each shave (which theoretically works out to 118 shaves per tub).

I like the tiny tub, but I definitely agree that a bigger option would be great (and I could use my bigger-than-tiny brushes for easy loading).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1584426

TL;DR it’s great!

PROs:

CONs:

COMMENTS:

View attachment 1584415

Before I retired, I used Clubman shave soap as my travel soap. I agree with your assessment and I'm wondering why it's still in my dopp bag and not in my rotation. I'll have to pull it out and try it for a week. It should hold up well against other contenders. Appreciate the reminder. :)

• Love
Reactions: Cal
Clubman Shave Soap SOTD
1939-RFB-G_2023-01-09.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (11)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

A very fine shave. :biggrin:
It's been ages since I used my D01 2-Band 18/44 Shavemac… fabulous, I don't know why I've neglected it for so long.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

COMMENTS ON TODAY'S SETUP:

BRUSH:

My Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" is a superb little brush with all the right qualities (for me); and its size is perfect for loading from the small Clubman Shave Soap tub.

SOAP:
I don't want to stop using Clubman Shave Soap. I find it perfect, and just a little bit better than ANY other shave soap that I've used to date.

RAZOR:
I have quite a few "favorites," but my 1939 Gillette NEW RFB, complete with its @Rosseforp GT handle has now pushed every other "favorite" off the Number One place on the podium. I love it.

BLADE:
Today was the second shave with my new-to-me Personna Lab Blue. It felt "a little less different" than the first shave. I intend using it for a fair few more shaves before I make my mind up about it; but so far it's giving me fine shaves.
At this point the Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinum (Ninja) is my top favorite.

ASL:
I discovered that my new Clubman Classic Vanilla and Musk were actually drying my skin a little (just like all the other Clubman ASLs that I've used). I simply added 10% glycerin to them, problem solved.
Currently the Clubman Musk is my top favorite ASL. I would describe it as a somewhat toned down Clubman ASL. This suits me down to the ground as the scent(s) dissipate after about two hours, whereas your regular Clubman ASL lasts a complete 24 hours (on me).

The above notes are really just for me... but I thought I'd air them in case anyone else is interested. :letterk1:

Clubman Shave Soap SOTD
1939-RFB-K_2023-01-12.jpg

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
ASL: Clubman Musk

A superb shave. :biggrin:
I reckon this could be my one-and-only minimalist shave setup (if I wasn't so damned fickle :001_rolle). :letterk1:

Nice work putting all this info together for us, very cool!
Thank you, it's my pleasure kind Sir. :cornut:
Is the soap a puck or is it poured into the tub? Thanks!
It's poured into the tub, but as mentioned it's dead flat and below the top of the tub which is a boon for tub loaders like me (and small or tiny brushes help a lot).

I discovered that my new Clubman Classic Vanilla and Musk were actually drying my skin a little (just like all the other Clubman ASLs that I've used). I simply added 10% glycerin to them, problem solved
I mostly use Clubman splashes in the warmer months for this reason. When I do use them in the winter, I usually work a dab of argan oil into my skin after the splash dries.

Reactions: Cal
View attachment 1584426

TL;DR it’s great!

PROs:

CONs:

COMMENTS:

View attachment 1584415

Seems the seller doesn’t ship to the US, and the postage would kill that deal even if he did. Best deal I can find is a 2 pack for just under $12 after tax on Amazon.

I'm celebrating my 20th consecutive shave with the wonderful Clubman Shave Soap. I'm a real happy bunny, and have no (current) desire to use any other soap. :)

Clubman Shave Soap SOTD
SOTD-WR2GT-B_2023-01-21.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (16)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
I love this hardware and software team. They just seem to get better every shave. :w00t:

Clubman Shave Soap SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-P_2023-02-07.jpg

Razor: Gillette NEW FB GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (4)
ASL: Clubman Citrus Musk

A truly excellent shave. :biggrin:

I have four DE Razors either in-transit/soon-to-be-in-transit or on a waiting list; one of which I hope to use for the upcoming 2023 FFFMM. These four vary in price between £6.50 and ≥£200 (shipped).

This RAD is a serious affliction. Today my NEW FB GT gave me a really great shave (no surprise there). I have an array of DE razors that I really love... but it never stops me wondering if there's something EVEN BETTER. :crazy:

That was my 30th shave with the Clubman Shave Soap. I could happily stick to that, and my "Kleiner Bayer" brush indefinitely.

Today's new arrival was the Clubman Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC. I'll use it for ≥7 shaves to see how it treats me. First impressions were great. I like the scent, and it disappears in one to two hours (I prefer that with aftershaves as I'm not too keen on the last-all-day ones).

The soap in my tiny Clubman tub had become a pronounced donut. Out came the teaspoon to flatten the sides and fill the hole... but the soap consistency made it so easy that I decided to repot it, and two new tubs, in one of my favorite sized tubs:
Clubman-Shave-Soap-repot_2023-03-19.jpg

Easy peasy! :thumbup1:

I've been weighing the soap after every shave. I had 53 shaves out of the original tiny Clubman tub (before repotting it) and they averaged 0.777g per shave. That would be equivalent to ~76 shaves per tub.

My first shave using the bigger tub this evening was great (details in SOTD below). I'm seriously considering purchasing another six tubs.

Heck, why not? I've just purchased another six tubs at the amazing price of £14.99 (~$18) including shipping (on eBay UK HERE). :001_cool:

FFFMM 2023 SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-O_2023-03-19.jpg

Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: Clubman Musk

Another fine shave. :biggrin:
I'm definitely loving the team I picked for the FFFMM. :w00t:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I tried it a few years ago and didn’t care for it. Sent it to a friend I didn’t really like all that much.

Top Bottom