What's new

Clubman scented soaps? (2018)

I searched here & found old threads asking the same question.

Thought that now since there are so many good artisan soaps out there, I wonder if any are making a soap with a dead ringer scent of Pinaud Clubman aftershave?

The only one I tried was Stirling and it wasn't very close. He doesn't even make that scent anymore so I guess I'm not the only one who thought that. I've thought of trying Mama Bear but haven't gotten around to it.

Stirling was not close, PAA "clubguy" not even close, and the Clubman shave soap that is made by Pinaud does not smell like the aftershave, out of the 3 I would go with the Pinaud shave soap, their shave creme is horrible.

Sorry, but I have yet to find a soap that has the Pinaud clubman scent. Sad but true!! :a13::a13:

+1! I read your post and got interested because I’ve never used a soap that smelled like Pinaud Clubman!

The various barbershop scents are the closest I’ve smelled.

It is sad indeed as I love the scent of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. I wish all the top tier artisans would work on that! Like B&M Reserve, WK, DG, GD, Sudsy Soapery, Oleo, Noble Otter, etc.....

I just used up my Clubman soap. I found the scent to be the same as the AS but lighter as in just enough to smell Clubman. It's a vegan based soap but lathers nicely. It's the YMMV thing regarding scent.

Well, you could always get an unscented soap and add a few drops of Clubman on the top of it when you lather up.

Well, you could always get an unscented soap and add a few drops of Clubman on the top of it when you lather up.
You don't want to do that because alcohol kills lather. If that's what you want to do, let the Clubman sit out open until the alcohol evaporates, then bottle it as "Essence of Clubman".

Or do what I do, grate the soap, drown it in your favorite splash and let it sit a few days until the alcohol evaporates and the liquid is absorbed. Works great with the cheap stuff like Clubman and Aqua Velva. I'm just finishing off my tub of Aqua Velva scented Palmolive stick.

I did a puck of Club Willie - AV Ice Blue and Williams Mug Soap a few years ago as part of a theme month here on B&B. Lots of creative other ideas in those threads.

I was inspired by that Williams thread, but insted of using the only soap in the world i can`t get a good lather from I used Arko. Grated it, aired it for like 3 months and mixed it with clubman :001_tt1:

I was inspired by that Williams thread, but insted of using the only soap in the world i can`t get a good lather from I used Arko. Grated it, aired it for like 3 months and mixed it with clubman :001_tt1:

This may just be the route I take. I am in the camp of "hate the Arko scent, but love the performance". So allow me to ask a couple questions for clarity if you dont mind, as this seems to an excellent option.

1. After grating it, you aired it out for 3 months. Was this airing out in the grated form of shavings or did you pack it into a container & then aired it out?

2. How much Clubman aftershave did you use?

Based on some of the replies here, I'm thinking my process will be to grate a couple of Arko sticks, leave it grated & air it out for a long time (I have plenty of other soap to use in the meantime), then put all the grated shavings loosely in a bowl from the kitchen & apply a generous amount of Clubman, let that all soak in, then transfer the shavings into a dedicated container where it will all be tightly packed in, & then hopefully I'll have myself some amazing smelling Clubman tallow soap that has superb performance! Does this sound like right steps in doing this?

Your plan is correct. Grate the Arko and leave it loosely piled to air out if you hate the scent. A few weeks should do, but you don't really have to because you'll be changing the scent.

When you're ready, submerge the shavings in Clubman and let it sit till it's all soaked in. Grab a bit and do a test lather to see if you want it stronger. I usually do another soak, but no more because every soak makes the soap softer.

Once it's okay, soaked in but still a bit wet, press it down and let it sit open till it's got the right consistency. Enjoy.

BTW, once I finish my Palmolive Aqua Velva this week or next, my next project will be Arko Velva.

Your plan is correct. Grate the Arko and leave it loosely piled to air out if you hate the scent. A few weeks should do, but you don't really have to because you'll be changing the scent.

When you're ready, submerge the shavings in Clubman and let it sit till it's all soaked in. Grab a bit and do a test lather to see if you want it stronger. I usually do another soak, but no more because every soak makes the soap softer.

Once it's okay, soaked in but still a bit wet, press it down and let it sit open till it's got the right consistency. Enjoy.

BTW, once I finish my Palmolive Aqua Velva this week or next, my next project will be Arko Velva.

Nice! Thanks for the tips. How long would you say the soap should soak in Clubman? Like minutes or hours?

Nice! Thanks for the tips. How long would you say the soap should soak in Clubman? Like minutes or hours?
Days, maybe a week depending on temperature and humidity. You need to *submerge* the grated soap completely, and wait for the liquid to be completely absorbed. Firm enough to mold, but wet enough to stick together.

Days, maybe a week depending on temperature and humidity. You need to *submerge* the grated soap completely, and wait for the liquid to be completely absorbed. Firm enough to mold, but wet enough to stick together.

OK got it now! Wow, so for me to get the Clubman tallow soap of my dreams, I'm looking at 3-4 weeks of airing out the shavings to dissipate the Arko scent plus another 1-2 weeks of soaking & absorbing the Clubman, which is roughly a month at the earliest or a month & a half at latest. Totally worth it!!

OK got it now! Wow, so for me to get the Clubman tallow soap of my dreams, I'm looking at 3-4 weeks of airing out the shavings to dissipate the Arko scent plus another 1-2 weeks of soaking & absorbing the Clubman, which is roughly a month at the earliest or a month & a half at latest. Totally worth it!!
Maybe try grating about half an ounce and going straight to the Clubman pickling without airing it out. I would think the Clubman scent would completely overpower the Arko scent since they both have some industrial lemon scent in there.

It might save a few weeks, and worst case you're out 25¢ worth of Arko.

Top Bottom