What's new

Clubman Pinaud Bay Rum

I'm just not fond of string scents. Especially the ones that smell like my grandfather

Remember that bay rum was a scent originally designed to cover up the stench of sailors who had been to sea for months without proper hygiene. Thus, it had to be potent. Originally, the sailors rubbed the leaves of the West Index bay tree (pimenta racemosa) on their skin. Later after distillation of rum spirits became common, the bay leaves were soaked in rum to extract the essential oils. Sometimes local fruits like orange and lime or spices like clove, allspice and cinnamon were added for additional aroma. Various brands of bay rum will differ in the added ingredients. I have to avoid bay rum that is high in clove and cinnamon as they irritate my face.

Remember that bay rum was a scent originally designed to cover up the stench of sailors who had been to sea for months without proper hygiene. Thus, it had to be potent. Originally, the sailors rubbed the leaves of the West Index bay tree (pimenta racemosa) on their skin. Later after distillation of rum spirits became common, the bay leaves were soaked in rum to extract the essential oils. Sometimes local fruits like orange and lime or spices like clove, allspice and cinnamon were added for additional aroma. Various brands of bay rum will differ in the added ingredients. I have to avoid bay rum that is high in clove and cinnamon as they irritate my face.
It's definitely too pungent for my taste. If I'm ever adrift on the ocean for months on end with out washing I may consider using it on a regular basis ⛵⚓

Just a comment about Bootleggers as long as it showed up in this thread. At least my perspective.

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is often a bit harsh. I like it but sometimes, especially if I had an aggressive shave, it irritates.

Superior 70, in my view is inferior. It has a weedy tone to it. Not horrible, but just not my thing.

Master's Bay Rum is extremely mild. The scent only lasts nanoseconds. It is extremely high in glycerine and this is what it brings to the party.

Combined, the deficiencies of each are overcome. I'm still not sure that Superior 70 adds much however everything that seemed bad about it is gone. Masters brings the glycerine and takes the edge of Pinaud.

I have thought of trying Pinaud and Masters at 2 parts Pinaud and 1 part Masters, but have not yet.

My favorite straight Bay Rum (that is without mixing it with anything) is Col Conk. I just prefer the scent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just a comment about Bootleggers as long as it showed up in this thread. At least my perspective.

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is often a bit harsh. I like it but sometimes, especially if I had an aggressive shave, it irritates.

Superior 70, in my view is inferior. It has a weedy tone to it. Not horrible, but just not my thing.

Master's Bay Rum is extremely mild. The scent only lasts nanoseconds. It is extremely high in glycerine and this is what it brings to the party.

Combined, the deficiencies of each are overcome. I'm still not sure that Superior 70 adds much however everything that seemed bad about it is gone. Masters brings the glycerine and takes the edge of Pinaud.

I have thought of trying Pinaud and Masters at 2 parts Pinaud and 1 part Masters, but have not yet.

My favorite straight Bay Rum (that is without mixing it with anything) is Col Conk. I just prefer the scent.
Hi praise for the Conk!

I enjoy the scent, but I don't think the performance is the best. Got a couple on the way from Black Friday to try out instead.

Clubman isn't bad, it's a decent bay rum but as others mentioned it goes away in about 15 to 20 minutes, or at least for me it does.

I had a thread about Bay Rum Recommendations, below is the link, scroll this and see what some recommend. I pulled the trigger on the Phoenix Artisan Accouterments Atomic Age Bay Rum.

I can not say enough great things about the PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, it's pretty damn good!

I think you can do much better than VIBR. IMO, it just smells...
Interestingly and to show how subjective scents are, I actually like Clubman Special reserve. Go figure...

I think you can do much better than VIBR. IMO, it just smells...
Interestingly and to show how subjective scents are, I actually like Clubman Special reserve. Go figure...
Definitely. My nostrils still tell me it's smells like gone off old spice original. But nobody appears to agree with me. Lol

Definitely. My nostrils still tell me it's smells like gone off old spice original. But nobody appears to agree with me. Lol
I also disagree that it bears any resemblance to vintage Old Spice. I have quite a few bottles of OS and they are in a class of their own.
Regarding Bay Rum...Meehan and Dominica are my personal favorites. IF you come across a bottle of Burt's Bees Bay Rum, grab it, it rocks. Sadly it was discontinued and has become pretty pricey. Also, the Dominica, because of the recent hurricane devastation, has been unavailable.

Top Bottom