What's new

Clubman opinions needed

I've loved the smell of Clubman my whole life. I loved smelling it when I went I went to the barber with my dad. A few years ago I discovered what the scent was that I loved, and now there's little I love more than slathering a handful on after a shave except perhaps following it with a coat of their talc down to my shoulders. I LOVE the smell of the stuff, if you don't like the smell go away, you were probably bothering me anyway. If a woman has a problem with you "smelling like her father", she probably has issues and you're likely better off not having to deal with them.

Like everyone, it reminds them of a barbershop. It's a great scent that takes you back. Does it smell good? Yes. Does it last long? it doesn't linger all day, but that's perfect for me, if I wanted a fragrance all day I would use cologne. I wanted a true aftershave, which is what this is. In it's full strength form, my wife is not a fan, but once it dries and mellows a little bit, she likes its mild scent and isn't put off by it.

I love Clubman so much that I almost bathe in it. After the splash on my face I go for round two, apply to back of neck, behind ears, wrist and my chest.

Since that is not enough of the Clubman scent, I apply the pomade to my hair and the talc to my arm pits on other body parts.

I love the smell, too. Like everyone it reminds me of childhood barbershop trips and my father. I have the AS in my rotation, and am considering adding the talc. The blurt on it reads, "Its neutral tint won't show on your face." So how does one use it? I thought I'd get some and apply it to my torso to keep a dry feeling and add a longer lasting scent (if it does that).

On a somewhat related note, I wonder what are young kids getting for their signature childhood barbershop scent memory? Axe? Poor wee things. Serioiusly I wonder if some shops are still using clubman to carry on the 'tradition".

Today is Memorial day. Bless all those who serve now and those who served our country in years past. I sometimes forget the huge debt owed to our servicemen and women for their duty and sacrifice. A special nod to my nephew currently serving.

P

Last edited:
Yes. And it's cheap, so if you don't like it, you aren't out much. The Clubman aftershave isn't "exactly" the same but it's real close. I use the talc daily, and either use Clubman aftershave or the somewhat spicier but almost identical Canoe with it - either is good with the talc. Try it, you might like it. The only downside is that some young women might view it as "old man", but I don't care.

I picked up a bottle a couple of months ago. I thought it smelled like Canoe (my "first" cologne i ever bought when I was in high school -- 30 years ago). I loved the smell then, and still do today. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks the two have quite similar scents. I also love the way Clubman makes my skin feel. For approximately $6, you really can't go wrong. If you don't like it, it would make a great PIF.

Last edited:
SWMBO informed me last night that Clubman was her favorite among my aftershaves. But she hates Aqua Velva! :scared:

To preface this, I'll say that I'm 25, and I've never set foot in an actual barbershop. I absolutely LOVE Clubman AS, and if this is what a barbershop smelled like, then I'm disappointed I missed out!

The aftershave scent definitely evolves pretty drastically over time. Taking a whiff of the open bottle, I thought the stuff to be a bit caustic. When splashed on, it smells very strong and a bit citrusy, but after drying down for a short time, it blossoms into this delicious, warm, powdery scent that makes me feel like I am disrespecting it by wearing it with blue jeans and a T-shirt some days. (it also leaves my face feeling fantastic, but that's another thread...)

Top Bottom