What's new

Clubman Nick Relief

Saturday morning, while shaving in a bit of a hurry and with a blade that should have been changed, I managed to give myself a few weepers along the jawline and one decent little nick beside my Adam's apple. Normally, after my shower (I shower after I shave :eek: ) I will spritz with witch hazel and then spend the next 10 minutes finishing up other preparatory duties before re-spritzing and then applying my ASB. Since I was in a bit of a hurry, I sped up this time interval and, as a result, managed to reopen the weepers and the nick. Irritated with this result, I began to rummage around for a styptic pencil when I stumbled across my old tube of Clubman Nick Relief.

full

I have used this product a couple of times and while it has been many months since I have done so, I have never had negative results from it so off came the cap and I began to go to work with it. After about a 10 second interval, my face began to BURN. I tolerated it for about a minute before finally deciding to wash it off.

Now, when I first applied the product, my face was still very wet from a heavy witch hazel spritzing. The nick relief (also a liquid) apparently mixed with the witch hazel and proceeded to cover quite a bit of ground before I managed to wash it off. Part of my right cheek, most of my right jawline, and down the left side of my Adam's apple were all bright red with what turned out to be a very painful chemical burn.

As I said before, I have used this product on at least 2 prior occasions with no negative side effects, so I can't imagine why the sudden problems. Whatever the case may be, my tube is now in the trash and I will stick to the good old fashioned styptic pencil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am still learning all the tricks of the trade but I have found that the styptic pencil and my face do not go together well. That pencil hurts bad and then dries my face out to the point of pain. Really nasty stuff! I was looking for an alternative so I picked up the Clubman Nick Relief on Saturday. Well by Sunday I needed it. I actually wounded myself pretty bad. (Straight razor under the nose) It was self admittedly a pretty bad cut so I put my new purchase to good use. I dabbed this stuff on and it stopped the bleeding within 30 seconds. Now it did sting a bit, but it was much less pain than that styptic pencil! I just had to dab the Nick Relief on some paper towels to clean it up before I put it back in storage. Overall I am very happy with it. :smile:

P.S. Hopefully as my shaving technique improves and I will not have to use it that often! :biggrin:

George

I just used my Clubman Nick Relief this morning as well. Been using a Merkur 1904 or Classic on a regular basis, so after reading some good reviews about the Gillette Aristocrat, I just had to try mine. What a difference! In my opinion it is a little more aggressive than the Merkur 1904 or Classic.

Anyway, I managed to make a nice little nick between the chin and lip...ouch!!! I don't use the CNR often, but when I do it does a great job at stopping the bleeding for weepers and/or nicks. Despite claims that it does not burn or sting...it does! I do feel a little sting when I use it, but it doesn't leave that white residue of a styptic pencil. So far I am preferring the CNR. My old styptic pencil fell apart after many years and I picked the CNR up a few months ago.

I know there are other "nick" remedies out there, maybe some that work even better. Possibly someone can elaborate.

It definitely stops bloodflow like a champion. I just can't figure out why it tore me up so badly this last go around. My face looked and felt chemically burned for almost 8 hours.

You guys are missing the boat. Try the infalab styptic powder sold on classicshaving. It's the best. I'm not sure how the liquid is though.

My experience with the Clubman Nick Relief has always been positive. I store it on it's "head" so that it is ready to go. Another idea someone mentioned recently was Chap Stick. I can't recall where I saw the suggestion or who made it.

Randy

I've been meaning to try chapstick, but everytime I've gone to the store it has managed to slip my mind.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Many moons ago, Tuesday night was poker night for my dad. I knew to steer clear, as I might accidently hear, God forbid, a foul word, although nobody seemed to mind exposing me to the thick clouds of smoke.
One night, my dad said, "C'mere", and introduced me to an old codger who was receiving unusually reverential treatment from the rest of the gang. He said, "this is (I wish I could recall his name), the greatest cut man who ever lived".

I was thoroughly unimpressed, even though the guy had worked in the corner of over 100 championship fights. As the years have gone by, I have become increasingly fascinated by the concept of a cut man, someone whose job it is to keep a fighter going long after the towel should have been thrown in. Nowadays, I sometines wish I had my own personal cut man on retainer.

These days, they use pressure and vaseline. In the old days, they would use proprietary, homemade concoctions that they swore by. Boy, do I wish I had some of those in my arsenal.:cool:

Kyle --

I probably owe you one, buddy. I followed up my shave this morning with a homemade concoction of aloe gel, Corn Husker's Lotion, and witch hazel. Immediately after applying this, I splashed my face with Florida Water, and after about three seconds started to feel a tingle all over my face -- quickly followed by a burning sensation in my eybrows -- which you might have expected to catch a little extra of the ASB (I rub it all over my whole face). Having read your post, I wasted no time getting some soap on my face to wash everything off. Is it the witch hazel? I've never heard of it being chemically reactive, but you never know.

Otherwise, the CNR is da bomb. I took a divot out of my lip the other day trying to straight shave with that damn Fromm thing, and the CNR stopped the bleeding like a charm. I'm aggressive with it, too -- work it right into the cut. (Ahhhh the sting!!!) The only thing I wonder is if it somehow might retard healing in the long run. This divot on my lip is healing well, but I had another nasty cut a while back where I used CNR, and it took forever to heal.

Ron -- I love the 1904; it gets the job done, yet I cannot nick myself with that razor. I did three passes with a Gillette Tech this morning, then out of curiosity did one more ATG pass with the 1904 to see what the Tech missed, and the 1904 cleaned up quite a bit of remaining stubble.

I suppose it could be a reaction occuring between the CNR and witch hazel. I've thrown my CNR away and can't test this out. If you're feeling daring, you might try the combo again on a small test area and see what happens.

DEF said:
Ron -- I love the 1904; it gets the job done, yet I cannot nick myself with that razor. I did three passes with a Gillette Tech this morning, then out of curiosity did one more ATG pass with the 1904 to see what the Tech missed, and the 1904 cleaned up quite a bit of remaining stubble.

The Merkur 1904 currently holds the #1 spot for my favorite razor, followed closely by the #2 Merkur Classic. I have tried vintage Gillettes [have about 15 or 20 various flavors in the 'den'] but I just don't get the trouble free, comfortable shave I do with my Merkurs. I also have the Merkur HD, Slant, Long Handle Classic and Progress, but I end up with the 1904 in my hand 97% of the time! The 1904 and/or the Classic is not only the best razor for beginner DE Shavers, it's just a great all around razor in my opinion.

Ron,

I agree; the 1904 is more or less my go-to razor as well, but for some reason I keep messing around with others. I figure I have three more razors to buy before I'm done: the Merkur HD, the Merkur Progress, and the Feather Artist Club. But I think I'm finished buying Gillettes.

Hi Ron (Potty Dr.)!
I've often lusted over the 1904 without gratifying my longing. Does the 1904 share the same 3-piece head with the Long Handle Classic or is it a different assembly?

I actually prefer the CNR to the styptic pencil. I tend to shake the container for a few seconds prior to using, although it probably doesn't need it. Seems to be less sting, and doesn't leave the nasty white residue.
You may well have had a chemical reaction, as mentioned. I make sure I either use the CNR first, and be certain it's dry prior to splashing on the WH. Or make sure the WH is dry (if I discover a weeper or cut after applying that).

guenron said:
Hi Ron (Potty Dr.)!
I've often lusted over the 1904 without gratifying my longing. Does the 1904 share the same 3-piece head with the Long Handle Classic or is it a different assembly?

The 1904 is exactly the same design as the Classic and the Long Handle Classic. All three have the same head, there is no difference in the heads; they apparently just manufacture these three handles to fit that head. I just went into the 'den' and interchanged them to give you a positive answer on that. Screw/thread size is the same on all three. Now if they only made Ivory, Tortoise and Ebony handles. Now there is somebody an aftermarket idea!

I have a Trumper Warwick Handle for my Sensor and I love that handle. It makes me want to use my Sensor more often. But that's another story altogether!

PottyDoctor said:
The 1904 is exactly the same design as the Classic and the Long Handle Classic. All three have the same head, there is no difference in the heads; they apparently just manufacture these three handles to fit that head. I just went into the 'den' and interchanged them to give you a positive answer on that. Screw/thread size is the same on all three. Now if they only made Ivory, Tortoise and Ebony handles. Now there is somebody an aftermarket idea!

I have a Trumper Warwick Handle for my Sensor and I love that handle. It makes me want to use my Sensor more often. But that's another story altogether!
Ron (PottyDoctor),
I have a Trumper Warwick Handle in Chrome and Gilded metal that is a nice shave,

full

and an Ed. Jagger Lined Chattsworth that is similarly a nice shave.

full

The Jagger is a bit heftier than the Trumper, but both are delights with which to shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a spot test on my arm with witch hazel and CNR and didn't produce any burning. The mystery deepens...

Top Bottom