What's new

Clubman, finally!

Well, I had the opportunity to finally try Clubman. I have always shied away from buying any because I was afraid that I would not like it. I got to try some this week, and I really like it.

I do find it a bit strong, and think it should be listed more as an Aftershave/Cologne rather than a splash. Other than getting used to using it sparingly, I find it quite nice.

Michiganlover has always claimed that it is very reminiscent of vintage Wild Country, and I agree. Especially when Clubman is compared to the Vintage WC cologne. The only difference is Clubman has more of a floral/powder finish and WC has a slight spice finish.

I think the only Pinaud fragrances I do not like are the Vanilla and the LV.

WC (vintage or non) is much much nicer. Clubman smells like Eau d'old man. <smug>

Discuss.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I really like, and SWMBO approves as well. She hates it before it dries, but she complains about all of them before the dry down. :001_rolle At least it doesn't give you that child molester smell like some do. :lol:

I like the WC, but this requires another thread that I was planning to start, but not yet.

As a very general statement I am surprised how much I prefer the less expensive, classic scents. I got a pretty extensive sampler from the perfumed garden and must admit that I find most of the high line scents just too close to woman's perfume. I know I'll catch flack for saying that but even when I smell those high line colognes on others I find them just too much. Just one man's opinion.

This is my scent of the day also. It seemed like it would be a good Sunday scent. SWMBO said I smell great!

As a very general statement I am surprised how much I prefer the less expensive, classic scents. I got a pretty extensive sampler from the perfumed garden and must admit that I find most of the high line scents just too close to woman's perfume. I know I'll catch flack for saying that but even when I smell those high line colognes on others I find them just too much. Just one man's opinion.

I do as well. Well, one thing about these older scents is that you don't smell like everyone else.

As a very general statement I am surprised how much I prefer the less expensive, classic scents.

Keep in mind the less expensive classic scents weren't always less expensive. At one point they were the cutting edge, top sellers.

I got a pretty extensive sampler from the perfumed garden and must admit that I find most of the high line scents just too close to woman's perfume. I know I'll catch flack for saying that but even when I smell those high line colognes on others I find them just too much. Just one man's opinion.

There sure are a lot of Aquatics on the market (aquatic: cologne that is a clone of, or inspired by Cool Water/ Aqua Di Gio). Both Cool Water, and Aqua Di Gio have top notes that in the past were likely associated with woman's cologne.

Personally, I don't mind the smell of Aquatics, but I find them all to be rather bland, and uninteresting. A good smell for work, as they are generally unoffensive.

Keep in mind the less expensive classic scents weren't always less expensive. At one point they were the cutting edge, top sellers.

There sure are a lot of Aquatics on the market (aquatic: cologne that is a clone of, or inspired by Cool Water/ Aqua Di Gio). Both Cool Water, and Aqua Di Gio have top notes that in the past were likely associated with woman's cologne.

Personally, I don't mind the smell of Aquatics, but I find them all to be rather bland, and uninteresting. A good smell for work, as they are generally unoffensive.

I wondered how long it would take you to get here......

When will you try the other Clubman scents, like Virgin Isles Bay Rum and Lilac Vegetal?

I love PCVIBR! It is my favorite Bay Rum, at least so far. I even think it is superior to Ogallala. LV..no thanks. I have 2 cats, that's enough cat pee for me. And yes, I have tried it, and hated it. My wife threatened to do unspeakable horrors to me should I ever buy any more, let alone wear it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Clubman is a great scent. You're right about the staying power though - it's probably the longest lasting AS I have ever seen.
Good stuff!

as a middle-aged man headed towards curmudgeonville, i like the classic, timeless scent of clubman. there are far worse things to smell like than a 50's barbershop.

My respect for Pinaud is just immense
I dig so many of the scents
Good old Bay Rum, Special Reserve
The Veg too, when I've the nerve
But my bout with Clubman bore bitter fruit,
SWMBO hissed, "Ugh! Smell just like BRUT!"

:blink::001_rolle:thumbdown:mad3:

Clubman is a great scent. You're right about the staying power though - it's probably the longest lasting AS I have ever seen.
Good stuff!

It definitely lasts all day. I don't even think PCVIBR is that strong. I learned after the first day to use it sparingly, or I would be too powerful. :blush:

as a middle-aged man headed towards curmudgeonville, i like the classic, timeless scent of clubman. there are far worse things to smell like than a 50's barbershop.

:thumbup1:

But my bout with Clubman bore bitter fruit,
SWMBO hissed, "Ugh! Smell just like BRUT!"

That is what I was accused of wearing my one of my coworkers. And I really don't get it. I don't smell any Brut-likeness at all. Vintage Wild Country, yes. Brut, no.

Top Bottom