What's new

Clubman Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic

Well, I'm smelling the Eau De Quinne. There is a sweetness that with the dark reddish color of the tonic makes me think of Dr. Pepper, but it doesn't really smell like soda. There is a floral spiciness to it that I can't assign specific notes to. Not a modern scent, but I hesitate to called it dated, as that has a negative connotation. A smell from a more refined era....

If you like citrus scents, there is Pinaud's Eau De Portugal.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Stupid question alert
what is the application for liquid hair tonic? Not a shampoo or conditioned
is it like hair styling like a gell?

Well, I'm smelling the Eau De Quinne. There is a sweetness that with the dark reddish color of the tonic makes me think of Dr. Pepper, but it doesn't really smell like soda. There is a floral spiciness to it that I can't assign specific notes to. Not a modern scent, but I hesitate to called it dated, as that has a negative connotation. A smell from a more refined era....

If you like citrus scents, there is Pinaud's Eau De Portugal.

Thank you, again, Dog Whiskerer!

I do have Pinaud's Eau De Portugal. You are right about the citrus scent. It's just a little to faint and fast fading to me.

I also have Lucky Tiger's Three Purpose Hair Tonic. I enjoy that a lot.

Last edited:
Stupid question alert
what is the application for liquid hair tonic? Not a shampoo or conditioned
is it like hair styling like a gell?

Not a stupid question at all. It's a thin liquid that you apply to condition your hair and scalp. Some say it gives a little control. I haven't found that to be the case. I have really short hair anyways.

I use it after showering or when I want my head to feel fresh.

I use it to condition my scalp and to smell good.

Last edited:
I use it to condition my scalp and to smell good.

Ditto for me. Light control and fragrance. There is tonic w/o oil, and some with. The oil adds control and sheen, and for some, scalp conditioning. For light hold and scent I like Clubman greaseless hair tonic and Beau Kreml. If I need a little oil, I'll mix in some of my wife's coconut oil, which is great for the scalp...well, my scalp.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ive been using a host of different water based pomades maybe i should give this a try after a haircut. I get my hair cut short but then it takes me months to go back and it gets pretty long and crazy and the pomade controls it.

When I was shopping for hair tonic, Eau de Quinine was described to me a carnations.
Sniffing my bottle now, I get that scent....sweet and flowery and fresh.
I can't, however, describe the scent of the Eau de Portugal. A bit more tart and lighter than the Quinine.
I just hold the bottle over my head and shake it and then work it in and brush it.
It's not as strong in holding power as the LT with oil or others with oil, however.

Eau de Quinine is one of my favorite Pinaud products, and that is saying something because I like Pinaud! Get some or else.....you won’t smell as good as you could have!

When I was shopping for hair tonic, Eau de Quinine was described to me a carnations.
Sniffing my bottle now, I get that scent....sweet and flowery and fresh.
I can't, however, describe the scent of the Eau de Portugal. A bit more tart and lighter than the Quinine.
I just hold the bottle over my head and shake it and then work it in and brush it.
It's not as strong in holding power as the LT with oil or others with oil, however.

Orange peel.

Update,...

Well, I finally received Clubman Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic.

It is a very hard scent to describe. It's not something I like. No offense to those who enjoy it, it's just not for me. I guess every nose is different.

I really like the following:

1. Lucky Tiger 3 Purpose Hair Tonic.
2. Pinaud Clubman Hair Tonic.
3. Pinaud Clubman Eau de Portugal Hair Tonic.

I will give Jeris Hair Tonic (without oil) a try. Any one with experience with the Jeris?

Thanks.

Top Bottom