What's new

Clubman begining to worry me.

When I started wet shaving last year I picked up a bottle of Clubman mainly because the bottle said 33%. Love the stuff but recently instead of the sweet smell I got used to it's rather nasty out of the bottle. Let me explain how nasty. I work in the petro chem industry and sometimes I go to the job site. This is the type of smell I would run from if I were in a plant. Not that I stopped using it. It does go back to normal after it dries.

Has it expired?

It's possible it has gone bad. If you don't feel good about using it, get rid of it somehow and purchase a fresh bottle.

Although I have never experienced this problem, it has been addressed here before. Some contend the plastic decanter is the culprit. The solution was to decant into glass and the problem was solved.

Mine too has a bit of a gasoline/refinery scent with an underlying baby powder note. Smells of vanilla to me when it dries down though.

Yep, skunked Clubman has been discussed at length here. Seem to get some skunky notes off of a few of my older bottles as well but dissipates as it dries down on my skin to the normal intended scents. Will decant into glass next time I have a new bottle and empty decanters but as it de-skunks on dry down I don't have too much an issue with it.

Quick question: does this "skunkiness" occur with a new bottle...or is it something that happens after it's been sitting in the plastic bottle for weeks/months/years? How long?

Although I have never experienced this problem, it has been addressed here before. Some contend the plastic decanter is the culprit. The solution was to decant into glass and the problem was solved.

+1. The cheap plastic "skunks" after a bit, not the juice.

Just like a bottle of water, contents of the plastic leach into the water and spoil it over time. Same goes for the aftershave.

So if i have had a bottle for nearly a year now and its had that gasoline smell from the beginning, is it lost or can i salvage it by decanting?

Sounds like it's better to buy the smaller bottle to avoid this from happening rather then the 16oz I see out there...and will be finding a glass bottle for mine from now on.

I have experienced this also. With all the excellent products out there, I figure why bother !!! I have gone elsewhere.

I put all of my aftershaves in glass bottles regardless of brand.
Remember Avon had it right with their various glass bottles, thats why you can still find 30 year old Avon aftershave products that are still just fine.
Its all about the almighty buck to the Aftershave companies, thats why they only package in as cheap of a material as they can now.
Hit the flea markets, antique and thrift stores, very cool classic bottles are everywhere, and they look great in the shave den.

Sounds like it's better to buy the smaller bottle to avoid this from happening rather then the 16oz I see out there...and will be finding a glass bottle for mine from now on.

I buy the smaller bottle and have not had any problems. I haven't noticed any significant cost savings by purchasing the large bottle either so I keep purchasing the smaller bottle. I like the shape of the Clubman plastic bottle and it would be fantastic if it was glass.

Top Bottom