What's new

Clubman 2020 - pls explain it to me

To start with, Pinaud Clubman is not smth. you'll find on drugstore back row shelves anywhere in Europe. It is not commonly known/available, as it is in the US. To be frank, until I landed at B&B I never heard of this stuff before.

So, that being said, I've ordered and received my very first bottle of this legendary thing and well... I've got some questions for you guys who have been using this extensively and associate it with "how Dad used to smell after a Saturday's haircut".

Opening the plastic bottle, my first impression was - BRUT. I splashed a few drops on my wrist and rubbed it, then rubbed my neck. Some 10 minutes after my wife goes "You're wearing Brut" (she loves it btw).

I read a few other threads and took the advice to decant it into a glass bottle, which I have done. Actually two bottles, one with atomizer, one just simple splash bottle. Funny thing - it's the two empty bottles of Brut AS and EDT I didn't want to throw away for some reason and now these came in handy.

So, to me this is 100% Brut, as I get the same sweet notes, the vanilla/tonka been and the oakmoss dry down. I get absolutely zero "citrusy freshness". I get the barbershop classic scent alright, but it is the Brut-like barbershop, nothing fresh or green about it. It's powdery and floral, a typical Fougere scent to me. Maybe I'm missing smth...

So, my Q to you - has Pinaud Clubman been reformulated as of late? If so when? Was it ever a fresh, citrusy fragrance?

1599473521005.png

Your Brut bottles are nothing like any I’ve ever seen. Clubman Pinaud Clubman doesn’t smell anything like Brut that we have stateside. Our Brut comes in dark green bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have both Brut and Clubman and they don't smell anything like each other, so I find it interesting that both you and your wife smell that. I'd describe Clubman as a lavendar-scented talcum powder, with undertones of citrus and oakmoss. It's a scent I prefer to use in colder weather. Brut is a lot sweeter to my nose.

They have similar fragrance notes and are both fougeres. They smell pretty different to my nose, however, as Brut has other notes, especially a heavy dose of ylang ylang, not in Clubman. Clubman is a classic American “barbershop” fragrance, as many barbers used it, so there is a very strong association here with a visit to the barbershop. (In fact, many still use Pinaud products, as a visit to a barbershop here will attest.)

I like it. It’s one of the few aftershaves (perhaps the only) available here at the drugstore with oak moss. It’s traditional. I don’t think it has been reformulated.

Last edited:
Your Brut bottles are nothing like any I’ve ever seen. Clubman Pinaud Clubman doesn’t smell anything like Brut that we have stateside. Our Brut comes in dark green bottles.

The Clubman came from US, so the question is not really what Brut bottles we have (and we do have Brut in dark green tall bottles smells identical), but rather why I cannot detect any citrusy / fresh notes in the Clubman. 😕

The Clubman came from US, so the question is not really what Brut bottles we have (and we do have Brut in dark green tall bottles smells identical), but rather why I cannot detect any citrusy / fresh notes in the Clubman. [emoji53]

Well, I was thinking that your Brut is not the same as ours, though the Clubman appears to be the same as ours.

They have similar fragrance notes and are both fougeres. They smell pretty different to my nose, however, as Brut has other notes, especially a heavy dose of ylang ylang, not in Clubman. Clubman is a classic American “barbershop” fragrance, as many barbers used it, so there is a very strong association here with a visit to the barbershop. (In fact, many still use Pinaud products, as a visit to a barbershop here will attest.)

I like it. It’s one of the few aftershaves (perhaps the only) available here at the drugstore with oak moss. It’s traditional. I don’t think it has been reformulated.
I very much like it, don't get me wrong. It's just that I expected smth. different. I get all the sweetness, but no green/fresh.

I very much like it, don't get me wrong. It's just that I expected smth. different. I get all the sweetness, but no green/fresh.
I agree of the scent similarities between Brut and Clubman, and have been noticing that for years. I’m bad in describing scents, but there is some underlying tone that’s the same.

There’s nothing fresh about clubman. Nothing at all. After opening up my first bottle, I poured it down the drain! One use! I after a few years, I bought another bottle and found it to be kind of nice and I use it to this day. However, I never found clubman to have a citrus or fresh flavor. So what does it smell like? The Clubman scent is just hard to describe.

I agree of the scent similarities between Brut and Clubman, and have been noticing that for years. I’m bad in describing scents, but there is some underlying tone that’s the same.

There’s nothing fresh about clubman. Nothing at all. After opening up my first bottle, I poured it down the drain! One use! I after a few years, I bought another bottle and found it to be kind of nice and I use it to this day. However, I never found clubman to have a citrus or fresh flavor. So what does it smell like? The Clubman scent is just hard to describe.
Well, for me it's actually easy to describe - it smells like Brut 😁.

That being said, the longevity of this Pinaud Clubman is far superior to Brut. I rubbed it on my wrist this morning and since then washed my hands at least half dozen times with soap and warm water and I can still smell it. So, performance wise this thing is amazing. Not just amazing "for the price", but rather amazing full stop. I am more than impressed.

It makes me particularly happy that I can use this not only as an AS, but as a cologne, too. Great stuff.

Well, I was thinking that your Brut is not the same as ours, though the Clubman appears to be the same as ours.

@ScottChapin the Clubman is the Clubman from the US, so it's not "same as yours", it IS yours 😂.

Brut, here in Europe, we have in several forms of scents and bottles.

We have the following:

100ml (3.4oz) Aftershave Splash in a transparent glass bottle
1599488137813.png

200ml (6.8oz) Spalsh on Lotion that works as both As and EDT in a dark green glass bottle (the vintage one you mentioned)

1599488233263.png

750ml (25.6oz) Spalsh EDT in a dark green glass bottle BIG Size
1599488043627.png

100ml (3.4oz) EDT in a translucent glass bottle
1599487983521.png

Scent wise the above 4 are identical.

Besides this Original/Classic, Brut also comes in 3 other flavors: Sport Style, Oceans and Attraction Totale.

1599488365485.png

And then you also have Musk

1599488722208.png

And Passion:

1599488755838.png

So, a lot of Bruts out there... hope it helps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With those that point out they are completely different.

Brut, much like Paco Rabanne.

Clubman, much like Canoe.

Both are great, classic fougeres, but quite dissimilar.

could it be the Euro ban on oakmoss, or formulations?

AA

I have both Brut and Clubman and they don't smell anything like each other, so I find it interesting that both you and your wife smell that. I'd describe Clubman as a lavendar-scented talcum powder, with undertones of citrus and oakmoss. It's a scent I prefer to use in colder weather. Brut is a lot sweeter to my nose.
A lot of people find it very similar, some even identical. You might want to check the threads here on B&B. So, it's not that just I find it that way, but countless people. I smelled Brut probably 40 years ago for the first time and I always have a bottle of it somewhere. This stuff to my nose is one and the same.

With those that point out they are completely different.

Brut, much like Paco Rabanne.

Clubman, much like Canoe.

Both are great, classic fougeres, but quite dissimilar.

could it be the Euro ban on oakmoss, or formulations?

AA
I've no idea about any EU ban on oakmoss. The Clubman came from US btw...

1599491602940.png

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've no idea about any EU ban on oakmoss. The Clubman came from US btw...

View attachment 1151459
And great stuff it is, just slapped some on!

Know a guy who is sure Clubman smells like Avon Wild Country.

I disagree with that, too, but have no explanation... As a hillbilly friend says, "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!" Meaning, it smells like what it smells like to you.

AA

And great stuff it is, just slapped some on!

Know a guy who is sure Clubman smells like Avon Wild Country.

I disagree with that, too, but have no explanation... As a hillbilly friend says, "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!" Meaning, it smells like what it smells like to you.

AA
Last night I splashed it generously after a great BBS shave I had. This stuff is absolutely sensational.

Some people talk of strong burn, I haven't felt anything like that. There was a feeling of nice subtle warmth and very, very slight numbness around the corners of my lips, overly a very pleasant experience. The skin was left moisturized and felt just GREAT.

Going back to similarity with Brut scent wise, I can say while extremely similar still, the dry down felt different, it's still unequivocally a Fougere, but now I wouldn't call it identical. Very, very nice overall. Washing my face this morning with a cold water I could still very clearly smell the Clubman, so it lasted for a good 8 or so hours.

I don't know scientifically what makes this stuff so great, but the post shave face feel was nothing short of amazing. This is a keeper performance wise and scent wise I can combine it nicely with some EDTs/EDPs I use. Probably one the best purchases, since I went back to wet-shaving.

So which is the overall favorite, Brut or Pinaud? I like Pinaud.
Your question is a bit misleading, allow me to put things into perspective.

Pinaud is the name of the company that produces the Clubman (and many other men's fragrances and grooming products). Brut is a range of men's fragrances (AS and EDTs) developed by a French company called the Faberge.

So, asking "Brut or Pinaud" makes no sense.

What we are discussing here is Brut Original by Faberge Vs. Pinaud Clubman.

That being said, if you're asking me, scent wise it's really close, perhaps Clubman is a tad bit less "sweet", which in my book is a plus.

Performance wise, Clubman by a country mile - as an after-shave this stuff, as I wrote above, just feels wonderful on the face, while Brut is basically scented alcohol, nothing to write home about. Longevity wise, again Clubman by far, it outperforms many EDCs/EDTs I use(d)... this stuff lasts for 8+ hours, amazing.

Your question is a bit misleading, allow me to put things into perspective.

Pinaud is the name of the company that produces the Clubman (and many other men's fragrances and grooming products). Brut is a range of men's fragrances (AS and EDTs) developed by a French company called the Faberge.

So, asking "Brut or Pinaud" makes no sense.

What we are discussing here is Brut Original by Faberge Vs. Pinaud Clubman.

That being said, if you're asking me, scent wise it's really close, perhaps Clubman is a tad bit less "sweet", which in my book is a plus.

Performance wise, Clubman by a country mile - as an after-shave this stuff, as I wrote above, just feels wonderful on the face, while Brut is basically scented alcohol, nothing to write home about. Longevity wise, again Clubman by far, it outperforms many EDCs/EDTs I use(d)... this stuff lasts for 8+ hours, amazing.

And Clubman is a holding company that owns Pinaud. The fragrance is named after the holding company.

And Clubman is a holding company that owns Pinaud. The fragrance is named after the holding company.

I thought the holding company was called American International Industries, with Pinaud Clubman website being just one of many product lines at www.clubman.com.

Anyhow, for the purpose of this discussion, which is focused on scent similarities with Brut, let's not get too carried away with legal stuff and which company holds the marketing and copyrights, shall we? 😊

Top Bottom