What's new

Closing up - is it a coincidence?

Mostly coincidence. Different causes for the three shutdowns....

SN got sued over ADA compliance and decided "I just don't need this."
Dr. Jon's (like Mickey Lee) was a case of a new day job overwhelming the hobby business.
ATT was the cost vs. profit squeeze.

A recession would increase the chances of all three types.

There are many factors at work. One is demographics. Younger shavers are more likely to want a quick shave with products they can purchase off the shelves of their local discount stores. They have neither the time nor the money to spend on luxury shaving products.

COVID forced many people to stay home for a while. Although I go out more now than I did at the height of COVID, I do not go out as much as I did before COVID. I used to shave every day; now I shave every 2-3 days, so my consumption of soaps and blades as been cut significantly. I could go the remainder of my natural life without every purchasing another shaving item.

Rising prices for materials has resulted in increased prices by many vendors. Shipping costs have increased with higher costs for labor and fuel. People are facing higher costs for food, gasoline, and electricity. Thus, many people who once had disposable income to spend on luxury shaving goods might have to reconsider such purchases. Do you really need a CNC machined titanium XYZ razor for $300, or can you get a decent shave with one costing $30?
Your comments are spot on.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We might all be shaving with Arko soon!

Most of us have enough soap to last until Mr. Sun takes a dirt nap.

(But your point is well made.)

These businesses are all tiny operations mostly run by one to three people. Businesses like these (and mine) don't end because of macroeconomic forces. They end because the owners decide to do other things. They could pivot, experiment, innovate. But they've decided that their lives would be better if they do something else instead. That's not failure - that's making a personal choice and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't know if you're entirely right, but you're certainly correct about the need for those of us who own small businesses to adapt, innovate, etc.

I think we should avoid making conclusions on the market based on the career choices of a handful of people.

I agree.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The reason TSN shut down is because he, along with 187 businesses in his area, are being sued for ADA compliance stuff.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/10/02/we...ttlements/

Holy cow. That's an interesting article.

1685046551085.png

This is an interesting picture.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Probably just market dynamics weeding out the weaker players due to over supply in a crowded industry. When business is good and selling at high margins is easy, that motivates business owners to stay in the game, but when things get tough, whether from new competition entering the industry or downward pricing pressures, the industry contracts. That is my economics 101 thoughts :)

Top Bottom