What's new

Closest Lavender Scent to T&H and Coates?

Good afternoon, folks. This may be a question better suited to folks who have been around a while, as these two products are no longer available. I tried to run a search, but found nothing recent (which is probably more a commentary on my searching skills).

My first "premium" shaving cream was Coates about 20 years ago. I always loved the scent of it, and I also thought T&H was similar. To me, these two lavenders were more "floral" lavenders than "essential" lavenders like TOBS and DRH. I was (and am) disappointed that Coates and T&H haven't been available for some time.

For those who remember both of those products, is there anything currently on the market that is similar? Many thanks!

Good afternoon, folks. This may be a question better suited to folks who have been around a while, as these two products are no longer available. I tried to run a search, but found nothing recent (which is probably more a commentary on my searching skills).

My first "premium" shaving cream was Coates about 20 years ago. I always loved the scent of it, and I also thought T&H was similar. To me, these two lavenders were more "floral" lavenders than "essential" lavenders like TOBS and DRH. I was (and am) disappointed that Coates and T&H haven't been available for some time.

For those who remember both of those products, is there anything currently on the market that is similar? Many thanks!

Sir AtlantaFop, Coates and T&H lavender creams are excellent.
If I recall, both are somewhat 'straight' lavender scents, not overly 'floral'.
But, perceptions are very individual things.
You might have to just roam around and experiment.
I'd suggest that your (re-)consider TOBS, AOS and CF.
Enjoy your journey!!

lavender creams.jpg

T&H Ultimate Comfort has a light lavender scent. It has Lavender EO in the ingredients. I love its fragrance.

You can still get Coates. It's about the best and one of the few creams I use.
The caps on the tube are brittle so I decant them into old, delabeled T&H and SJoL tubs. I have more than a dozen tubes each of Almond, Lavender and Sandalwood and a few of Rose and Lime. Performance is as good or better than all the very expensive creams and almost as good as my best soaps.

Last edited:
The caps on the tube are brittle so I decant them into old, delabeled T&H and SJoL tubs. I have more than a dozen tubes each of Almond, Lavender and Sandalwood and a few of Rose and Lime. Performance is as good or better than all the very expensive creams and almost as good as my best soaps.

excellent idea! most of my caps also failed!

Good to know! I actually ordered some of these several years ago; I will admit to being a little surprised that they are still available.

Is there any decline in quality for being at least 13 years old? Thanks again, something to consider!

Good to know! I actually ordered some of these several years ago; I will admit to being a little surprised that they are still available.

Is there any decline in quality for being at least 13 years old? Thanks again, something to consider!
Atlanta, I've been getting tubes since I first heard of the guy 5, or 6 years ago I guess and I keep wondering how there's not. I think what makes it so noticeably better and long lasting are probably ingredients that are banned nowadays for either health or environmental reasons.
I'm only half serious but it's possible.
If you read his website he tells of how he came across them but judging by how popular they have been but he still has some it had to be a huge haul.

I was very disappointed with my NOS Coates purchase. I much prefer Atkinson's, Castle Forbes or êShave.

The scents are a bit weak. Maybe because they always were on the lighter side, I don’t know. But the quality is still there with those tubes. You’d be happy with a purchase. I was also surprised they’re still available.

Can anyone comment on the lavender scent of Arko’s sensitive cream? I am curious how it compares to Truefitt & Hiil’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom