What's new

Closest Blades to Swedish Gillettes

My stock of blades is very low, and it is time to buy some new blades. My favorites were Swedish Gillettes, but those are no longer available. From those who knew and enjoyed Swedish Gillettes, what is the next best blade? I am looking for the Swedish Gillette clone if there is one.

The current production PPI-made version of the blade, of course, known as Carboard Swede, New Swede, Gillette White Platinum, etc. It goes by many names.

But unless you can buy them locally, you're pretty much out of luck, as they are only distributed to retail channels in Europe, are not available online, and are never found in bulk.

SIs can still be bought from vendors. But keep an eye out for Gillette Bleue Extras. Even a few years ago when both were readily available there were people who thought them just as good. Swedes have risen in people's minds now that they are no longer available, but you should find the GBEs a close approximation.

SIs can still be bought from vendors. But keep an eye out for Gillette Bleue Extras. Even a few years ago when both were readily available there were people who thought them just as good. Swedes have risen in people's minds now that they are no longer available, but you should find the GBEs a close approximation.

Emilio is all out of SI's

Never tried the "Swede" but +1 on the GBE. Best blade I've tried recently. jwilock hipped me to them. The SI has training wheels next to the GBE.

I looked for the GBE's and couldn't find any. Mind you I didn't look very hard.

Last spring there were still a couple vendors offering them. Haven't seen any in a while. But maybe some will show up. Or put a WTB add on our forum, I know there are some here who've got thousands of them and might be willing to part with a few.

I've said it plenty of times, the White Cardboard boxed Gillette Platinum made at PPI is the spiritual successor to the Swede. Many places online call then 'Gillette Platinum Classic'.

proxy.php

These work very well in every razor I have tried. They cost me about $1.25 delivered per blade though. Sharp, smooth, no tugging, never feel like you will nick yourself.

I am not sure if you can get the Dark Platinums / Maltese Platinums via eBay still, but I got 2000 for about 10c/blade delivered around 18 months ago. Don't work for me in open-comb razors but fantastic in Slims or Fatboys.

proxy.php

For a complete Rundown on the currently available Gillette Blades other than the 7 O'Clocks, I posted a complete rundown at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/197534-Gillette-Platinums-!?p=3040290#post3040290

I was unfortunate enough to use a real Swede as my first blade. It's the standard against which all my blades are measured, with most coming up way short. GBE's are quite good IMO, maybe as sharp, but not as smooth as the Swede. I haven't been that impressed by the SI but have had excellent shaves using Astra Superior Platinums in my aggressive razors - Big Fellow, Ball-end Old Type, etc. Not as sharp or as long-lived as a Swede or GBE, but very smooth.

Newb who's interested in "Swedish" Gilette blades resurrecting this thread. So I've read about these, but just learned from this thread and others that they're apparently no longer available. Is there a Gilette blade made elsewhere that's generally considered to be on par with it?

look at the post by mitsimonsta 4 posts above; the white boxed gillette platinums, usually sold in spain and italy, are considered very close to the swedes. the current production gillette bleue extra from france are also very good. next would probably be the st. petersburg gilllette 7 o'clock blues, if you can find them, and the indian made gillette 7 o'clock blacks.

Top Bottom