What's new

Closer Shave?

I've been DE shaving for several months now and after a 3 pass shave, I feel no stubble, which is truly a miracle considering after using a cartridge for close to 20 years I would have considerable stubble immediately after shaving.

My question is for those of you who DE shaved and got the famed "BBS" shave, did you get even closer with a straight razor?

Thanks!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Maybe closer, maybe the same. But the shave lasts much longer for me vs a DE one.

i get really really good shaves from my straight...

i get really really good shaves from my DE...

i just prefer the straight for the ritual aspect of it.... that and the feeling of being man enough to stick a piece of extremely sharp steel with no safety guard to my face and cut the hair off it.....

I think close is close, but it is definately 1000% more "Zen" with a straight if that's what you're after. With a DE you can shave pretty quickly without worry of cutting yourself. A straight razor forces you to slow down and you just really can't force yourself to go faster without making mistakes, which usually means a nice cut. I keep a DE for instances when I am crunched for time.

i get really really good shaves from my straight...

i get really really good shaves from my DE...

i just prefer the straight for the ritual aspect of it.... that and the feeling of being man enough to stick a piece of extremely sharp steel with no safety guard to my face and cut the hair off it.....

BBS is BBS. Closer than that and you start to see bone.

I get the same shaves, I prefer straights.

totally agree with these guys above...

Any noticeable difference in razor burn or general irritation? Especially around the neck?

Most of us claim to have fewer nicks and cuts with the straight. I don't often get razor burn - didn't with a DE either unless I started to obsess on getting a BBS. My test for sensitivity is to splash with pure alcohol after the shave - I can tell if I was scraping a bit much off when I do that... ;-} However, almost always the burn doesn't last very long (a few minutes only) and doesn't count as razor burn to me.

I have to work a bit on my neck to get it BBS. My hair grows in swirly kind of patterns on my neck so getting it clean shaven is a pill. I can do it more easily with a Kamisori because I can manipulate the shorter blade better and get a better attack ATG. However, I don't hesitate to grab the DE and make a few passes to clean up my neck or around my lips - especially if I'm in a hurry.

The zen of the straight is the calling for me. However, I'm pragmatic enough to grab the DE if I feel the need.

I am pretty sure the straight gives me a longer lasting shave.

However, IK haven't used a DE in a couple of years, so I really can't compare.

But, basically, you are asking if you should get a straight.

Yes, you should!

I am pretty sure the straight gives me a longer lasting shave.

A friend and I have theories about why that seems so. I agree - a straight will give me a 24 hour shave with no problem. An M3, Feather in DE, or Feather AC will cut the whiskers but won't last as long. I'm willing to say it could be a perception only but I would want to discuss it a bit.

Our main theory is kinda out there ... basically, the duller blade (duller is relative, of course) pulls out the whiskers just a bit and follow-on passes trim them back. (BTW: we found that our idea wasn't unique... the cartridge guys all claim that for the multiblade carts - but it was unique for us at the time)

So there... we've solved the Fermat's Theorem for wet shaving...

Last edited:
So I read this thread and was about to post when I thought, "It's been a while. I can't be sure anymore." So today after months of using my straight, I shaved with my DE.

Answer: They are about the same for me.

The DE is boring though compared! It's almost too easy. I am glad I decided to use straights full time and I am glad i used my DE today. I originally thought that my DE would get my troubled areas way better than my straight but using the old feel test - that's not the case.

The straight is way more fun though! Way more zen...

Closeness is finally the same for me even in the trouble spots. The DE does it faster for me. The straight does it with less irritation for me. But even after six months I still cut myself more often with the straight.

I'm still a straight razor newb, but I feel like I've gotten to the point where I can't get my shaves too much closer without getting burn and irritation.

I shaved with an R41 the other day; it was probably the closest shave I have ever had. I'm not sure I would even want to try matching the closeness of that shave because trying that with a straight could lead to trouble. I still get wonderful shaves with my straight, but with a straight, it seems like it's more about the actual shaving and less about the end results. For me, it's still much slower than shaving with a DE, but the challenge is much more rewarding. The gear is very cool. Sharpening and stropping are cool. The razors are works of art.

From a completely utilitarian point of view, nothing beats the speed and comfort of shaving with an EJ DE89. Once (if) the novelty of straight shaving wears off, the DE89 will still be there for me.

Top Bottom