What's new

CLOSED - Traveling Slim- Try before you buy - CLOSED

Days like today make me wonder why sometimes I make this shaving thing more complicated than it needs to be. I decided for a nice simple two-pass shave with the Slim on '5'. I used the basic VDH soap, and just did straight N-S passes. Simple. Easy. Beautiful.

I got a great shave from a great razor - can't ask for much more than that.

You inspired me. Slim set at 5, was going to go 2 passes but was having too much fun and threw in an XTG. Great shave.

Sadly, my time with the Slim is drawing to a close. Quintero, go ahead and PM me your mailing address, please. After I shave on Wednesday I'll get her cleaned and packaged up, then on the way to you on Thursday.

Cmyoung when you get a chance I'm sure we would love to hear your final thoughts. Would you add one to your rotation or was it nice to try but not a must have item?

I'll write up my thoughts in more detail coming up. I'll give a minor hint as to how well I do or do not like it by saying that the reason I'm not posting a detailed write-up at the moment is because I'm busily searching an auction site looking for a replacement. ;)

Updated list:
1. Cmyoung- wrapping up
2. Quintero - Get ready.
3. Redrider - it's coming.
4. Cacique - it's coming
5. Aldershot - it's coming
6. DocRokRx - it's coming

Let's see if anyone else want to jump on this ride.

My time with the Slim is at an end. She's cleaned and boxed up and will be on her way to Quintero tomorrow.

My final shave was a gentle two-pass with the Slim on '4', and a fresh Voskhod blade. I was at the mall earlier today, and decided to stop into the L'Occitaine store and treat myself to a puck of the Cade soap and the designer bowl that they have there, so that was the accompanying software for today's festivities. Today was a truly enjoyable parting shave.

Overall, I like the Slim very much, and have become quite fond of the adjustable shave. If anyone reading this has experience with both the Slim and the Fatboy, I'd be curious on the differences they see between the two. Obviously the handle is a bit thicker, but is the overall length the same? What about the head shape, and the weight/balance?

I'm definitely now in the market for a vintage adjustable. I'm watching auctions and other sites looking for the right one. I'll also be on the lookout at B/S/T here. I suspect I won't be without an adjustable for too long.

If you're following this thread but are unsure about participating, I'd encourage you to give it a shot. For the price of postage, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. Imatabor, thanks for putting this together, and it was my pleasure to participate. Quintero, enjoy!

Quintero, I believe you should find a razor in the mailbox tomorrow. Look forward to your report(s). Remember we are looking for the truth.

First shave setup:
Mama bear's Dublin tweed soap
Omega boar, personna lab, after shower, and set the slim to 5. Have never used an adjustable before, but have been favoring more aggressive shaves after using an old type from the passaround.

I was impressed with the weight of the slim. Not what I expected. Its also in very nice condition.
I did a 2 pass with chin touchup and got a dfs. Very smooth shave throughout. I did notice that it is less audible than my other razors. Angle was easy to find. I will move up from the 5 with each shave to see how far this will take me.

Last edited:
Shave 2 this morning. 11 hours growth.Set the slim at 6 for two passes, Wtg and Xtg. Was noticabley smoother on 6. I am staying in tonight, so I will not shave again until 9 am tomorrow. Will try 7. I love the weight of the slim. i really enjoyed the old type, but found the handle lacking. I am liking the slim a lot.

Do you find the slim on 6 about as aggressive as the old type? I also like the old type but have never really thought of comparing the two. Plus I have never gone about 5.

Quintero, how did the slim at 7 treat you?

Updated list:

1. Cmyoung- done.
2. Quintero - Enjoying now.
3. Redrider - Up next.
4. Cacique - it's coming
5. Aldershot - it's coming
6. DocRokRx - it's coming

Quintero enjoy it till Wednesday and pass it on to Redrider.

Last edited:
I wish I still had the old type, but from what I recall, the 6 setting was about the same in efficientcy.
The shave at 7 required much more attention to blade angle. Still haven't found a weeper or nick, but if I was in a hurry, would want to dial down between passes.
At a visual glance, there seems to be a large step between 7 and 8 and little advance between 8 and 9, with those being, almost scary looking in blade angle.

Top Bottom