What's new

CLOSED - Traveling Slim- Try before you buy - CLOSED

Updated list:
1. Cmyoung- you keep it until the first of the year and then pass it on.
2. Quintero - You get to start the year off with the slim.
3. Redrider - it's coming.
4. Cacique - it's coming
5. Aldershot - it's coming
Look
forward to your thoughts and impressions of this fine piece of shaving technology.

I'm excited to see the list growing.

Perfect! I'll have already shaved tomorrow by the time the mail gets here, but it looks like the Slim will be my Christmas morning shave.

Oh my, the Slim arrived just in time to be my Christmas morning shave, and she's a beauty! All the chrome is in great shape, and the parts function as they should.

I love the feel of the Slim in the hand. It's a little lighter than my DE89, and the handle is just a touch thinner. The knurling on the handle gives a nice confident grip.

For today's shave, I used Cella because it smells like Christmas. For the blade, I chose a 7 O'Clock Black - for a first shave with a Gillette razor it only seemed right to use a Gillette blade. I set the Slim to '4', because on a visual comparison that setting looks very similar to the blade gap on my DE89. In retrospect, I think that setting was just a wee bit more aggressive than the EJ, and gave a nice close shave in two passes plus a couple of quick touch-ups. I need to get used to the angle on this one, as its significantly different than the Jagger, but overall I really (really) like this razor.

Just a quick write-up today, as I'm off to Christmas festivities. More to come over the next few days.

Here's a quick shot of today's set-up. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388003301.507908.jpg

Glad that it arrived okay. I'm interested in how it shaves compared to a modern razor, looking forward to your review.

As far as the condition, this one is in better shape than the one I kept. This one only has a few water spots that could be buffed off. I only wanted to give the best to this group.

Good shave with the Slim today. I have a little irritation afterwards, but I blame myself more than the razor because I tried to get a little more aggressive than I'm used to.

First WTG pass I set the Slim on '3'. I think this setting feels very close to how my EJ DE89 shaves. For the second ATG pass, I opened her up to '5'. This was still very comfortable, and feeling my face afterwards was nice and close too.

Then I got cocky. I needed some touch up on my neck and jawline, so I set the Slim to '7' and proceeded to J-hook away - not the wisest plan. I didn't nick myself, but there's definitely some burn and irritation there. That being said, my jawline is extremely smooth!

I'm enjoying this razor very much.

Glad the razor is working out for you. I was a little afraid that you would start out at 9,I'm glad you started slow. But as you found out it can have a bite.

First WTG pass I set the Slim on '3'. I think this setting feels very close to how my EJ DE89 shaves.

This helps me out as far as the EJ goes as I use the Slim at 4 or 5. This means the EJ would be too mild for me.

Thanks for the reminder to pay attention, I had forgotten to sub the thread before.

I also feel better going into this knowing I'm getting more consistent in my shaves, pretty standard for me to be CCS to near DFS in 2 passes now with less and less irritation as I go along, assuming I don't chase a BBS.

A few more weeks should be even better and I'll have a chance to work out which blade I want to use for my test with the Slim.

Thanks again imatabor.

I would love to get in if it's not too late!

Not to late at all.

Updated list:
1. Cmyoung- Enjoying it as we speak
2. Quintero - You get to start the year off with the slim.
3. Redrider - it's coming.
4. Cacique - it's coming
5. Aldershot - it's coming
6. DocRokRx - welcome aboard

Sweet! being born in the 80s my only option is the black beauty (or metal atra apparently) I'd love to get a taste to preview the day I can actually find one.

I was torn this morning: I felt like my face deserved a well-earned shave holiday, yet I wanted to maximize my short remaining time with the Slim. As a compromise, I decided to take a nice, mild, one-pass shave. Ahh... herein lies the beauty of an adjustable I suppose - no need to switch razors for a milder shave!

I set the Slim to '2', and lathered up with some Stirling Scots Pine. The Slim is very mild at the '2' setting, probably too mild for my taste normally, but I am in test mode here. I took a gentle N-S pass, followed by some brief touching up. I was irritation free, and could barely feel the aftershave when I splashed it on. This was nowhere in the ballbark of a BBS, but I certainly got a socially acceptable (especially on Friday of a holiday week!) shave.

My face got a break, I got to test another aspect of the Slim - Win, Win!

Cmyoung, you said the angle is different than the EJ, how so? Also using it on two, you must have wondered if you had a blade in it.

Sounds like you are enjoying the Slim:thumbup1:

With the DE89, I need about a 45 degree angle between my face and the handle to get good blade contact. With the Slim the handle needs to be out just a bit more, maybe somewhere in the 50-60 degree range. The good news is I get better audio feedback from the Slim than with the DE89, so it's easy to tell when I've got the angle right.

Top Bottom