What's new

Close comfortable shave not possible?

Is it feasible that I'll never be able to achieve a CCS? I can manage a 1 pass SAS with lots of stubble remaining but the moment I try another pass I end up with terrible razor burn or discomfort. I tried with a Gillette Guard I just bought off ebay but that's even worse, I've got terrible rash/bumps from it on my neck.

I wouldn't mind the terrible discomfort if I felt I was getting a close shave out of it, but I'm not. I've tried various blades but none seem to hit the mark. My Speick shaving stick is no help, not is the Palmolive Cream, it doesn't seem to matter if I shower first or not its equally uncomfortable. I'm doing my level best not to apply pressure beyond that needed to keep the razor on my face.

Were it not for COVID I'd go to a barber to see if it really is just me but I'm seemingly no better off whatever shaving method I use...

prendre un savon peau sensible
Et pas un bâton
Utiliser un rasoir DOUX (réglable)
Utiliser une lame douce
Ne pas changer son materiel pendant 1 mois (lame, savon) pour habituer ça peaux.
si il y a boutons, c'est la galère, donc éviter de ce raser en attendant que ça parte.
faire une bonne préparation!
bon courage 😉
Edit..Plus pierre d'alun sur les boutons, ça les sèche et ça part.
Ne pas utiliser de produit gras.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please give this a read:

Then, plan out your next shave and pay attention to your angle, pressure, how well you follow grain, the slickness of your lather, how often you rinse your razor to keep it from clogging, how much the strokes of your razor overlap.

At first, your shave should take more time than normal. It might not be as close per pass. It will tug if you cut your whiskers at the wrong angle (which angle is right? It won’t tug). It will also have less razor burn, less weepers, less physical irritation.

Don‘t know if everyone can have an irritation-free BBS shave (I’m not there yet), but a comfortable shave is possible.

Good luck!

Stay away from the carts. It sounds like you're just starting out with double edge razors. You don't say what razor and blade you are using. Face or bowl lathering? The reason this forum exists is because its a journey to find what works. I've tried lots of razors and blades and brushes and creams and soaps. I'd say I only settled on what works for me about a year ago, 3 1/2 years into my journey. I'm at it for about 4 1/2 years now and am so glad I found double edge razors. My previous life with cartridge razors was just miserable. Pay attention to your technique and make note of what razors and blades work best for you. But don't discount stuff you use early on if your technique isn't quite there. You may revisit stuff once you've perfected your technique and find you love it instead of hate it. Keep at it. You'll get there.

Shave after a hot shower, use a hot towel for 45 seconds over a layer of pre-shave (I use PREP) and a thick, slick cream--whatever works for you, and a good blade--NOT a Chinese made blade POJ. A good mild razor helps too. GL.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
We've all had plenty of problems starting out but stick with it
Firstly prep is important have a shower and use a facewash. You may need to use a pre-shave to start with. Blades make a huge difference I have only tried 15 different blades, but I have frequently found good or better blades. Stick to the big names to start with, Gillette (Astra, 7 O'Clock GSB) Personna Wilkinson sword etc.
Take your time and enjoy yourself get used to doing a WTG pass first you don't need to go full 3 pass BBS to start with. The Palmolive cream is a regular in my rotation and performs very well. Pay attention to the direction your facial hair grows as you develop your passes. If you catch the hair at the wrong angle not only will it not cut it properly but it may cause irritation so adjust the stroke angle until you get a comfortable pass then think about adding another pass.
Finally moisturise it may not improve your shave, but it makes you feel great.
Remember if you have problems there is plenty of experience on B&B to help you out

What everyone else said is spot on. The most important thing IMHO is technique. @ackvil used to have a sticky he would send people about angle and pressure. It wasn’t until I mastered those that I got irritation free shaves. Also what was said about moisturizer is spot on, it makes a Huge difference.

Good luck, you’ll get there, it’s just gonna take some experimenting to get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me just say I totally sympathize. You'd think that this would be something you should just be able to do, and yet...I've been at this for about twelve years and I'm finally getting what I would consider excellent shaves every day. This is not to say I couldn't get acceptable shaves from a DE or SE until now; far from it, I just couldn't do it every day until recently when everything just clicked.

From reading your previous posts, the gear you have should be fine; beyond a certain point, the gear doesn't really matter, so don't think you have to spend a bunch of money to get a good shave. What you need is knowledge of how to use what you have to best advantage and then gain experience in using it. That's going to come from time and practice. Lots of good advice in this thread, but definitely read the Wanderer's Guide post; there is much truth therein.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a similar problem with DE shaving. It wasn't until is switched to SR shaving that all my problems were solved. With SR shaving I could see where the blade edge was and what is was doing. It also let you know quick smart if you pressure or angle wasn't correct.

Sure, it took a couple of dozen shaves to get there but once their all my shaves are bliss.

I bought an electric shaver for travel and the instructions said to use the shaver and nothing else for one month. They said it takes a while for your face to adjust. I've found that to be good advice for any change in shaving routine. Be patient!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
prendre un savon peau sensible
Et pas un bâton
Utiliser un rasoir DOUX (réglable)
Utiliser une lame douce
Ne pas changer son materiel pendant 1 mois (lame, savon) pour habituer ça peaux.
si il y a boutons, c'est la galère, donc éviter de ce raser en attendant que ça parte.
faire une bonne préparation!
bon courage 😉
Edit..Plus pierre d'alun sur les boutons, ça les sèche et ça part.
Ne pas utiliser de produit gras.
Can you please post your replies in English so that we understand you.

If it hurts you are doing it wrong.

In shaving technique is, IMHO, the most important thing. And it's totally under your control though it does take practice. Little to "no" pressure again your face. "Neutral" angle so the blade cuts whiskers but doesn't scrape your face.

After technique, IMHO, comes the blade/razor combination. Typically one tries different blades with the same razor (blades are cheap, razors less so). Note that you must have basic technique down to start exploring blades. Of course, if you start out with a stinker combination that just doesn't work for you from day one, you'll need to try another in order to get you technique down. But if you have an acceptable combo, stick with it to work in technique.

Don't get stuck chasing the "perfect" razor, blade, soap, lather, or brush. Most all of it will work. Some gear is "better" than others, but technique, not gear, is the key to success. Take it slow. It will come.

FWIW - Some recommend a "fixed four for four". Same brush, soap, razor, and blade for four weeks to work on lathering and shaving technique.

Try a moisturizer as your pre shave, as some members on this Forum do (Noxzema cleanser/moisturiser or Dove soft seem quite popular)

Last edited:
There are several factors at play here, but I'd like to point out what I personally believe to be quite often overlooked, neglected - a proper pre-shave face preparation. As with anything good prep is half the job done. With wet-shaving this is particularly true. What you want make sure you do is:

1. Take a long warm shower or bath, so that you SOAK the face and the whiskers in water for an extended period of time. This won't happen if you jump in and out of the shower in under 2 minutes. Give it a good 10 minutes at least, allowing the water to flow over your face.

2. On your wet face apply a good quality pre-shave cream or oil (Proraso is excellent) and massage it into your face and beard. Massage the pre-shave cream for at least 2 minutes.

3. Build your lather preferably on your face and worked that lather into your whiskers, with your brush. Again, take your time, give it a good 2 minutes.

4. Leave the lather to sit on your face for at least 5 minutes. It will dry down a bit, don't worry.

5. Dip the tops of your brush in the hot water and reapply the lather all over your face.

Now you are ready for your first pass WTG.

Avoid applying ANY pressure, allow the weight of the razor to the job.

Rinse your face off, then re-apply the pre-shave cream/oil, reapply lather and go for the XTG (E-W). Same thing, barely touching your face, no pressure. Rinse off your face when done. Repeat the same routine, now do the 2nd XTG, but this time in the opposite direction W-E. Rinse off, re-apply pre-shave, re-lather.

Final ATG pass - no pressure, use medium strokes, not too long, but not "buffing" either, just about an inch long strokes.

So, this will as you can see take you a good half an hour or more, from the moment you step into that shower, until you finish. Maybe you have super sensitive skin, maybe your gear is not adequate. Whatever it is - a great shave takes time.

One last piece of advice - the sharper the blade and the more "aggressive" the razor, the closer and more comfortable shave you'll have, given your technique is right. I second @rbscebu - nothing compares to well-honed SR in terms of comfort. My tip to you: Feather Artist Clubb SS type shavette.

Have a great shave, have a great day! 😊

Last edited:
Is it feasible that I'll never be able to achieve a CCS? I can manage a 1 pass SAS with lots of stubble remaining but the moment I try another pass I end up with terrible razor burn or discomfort. I tried with a Gillette Guard I just bought off ebay but that's even worse, I've got terrible rash/bumps from it on my neck.
If you are not shaing daily then a CCS is going to be difficult with a single pass. You should get a good daily shave, CCS standard, from the RR SLOC or Mission with good technique using two passes. It seems to me your technique needs improvement. Work on a single pass daily shave building up to two passes as your confidence grows. You could try two passes on alternate days as an experiment. Don't try against the grain at the moment till your 2 pass strategy is working.
Have a look at this for blade angle; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

Great advice above!

My summary comes down to three things:
#1. Better prep: hydration is key to a great shave!
#2. NO pressure: pressure is the worst error carried over by cartridge users!
#3. Watch your razor angle!

Once you master those skills, I predict that your shaves will have improved dramatically! :a29:

Top Bottom