What's new

Clog Pruf Arrived

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The mmoc is an unforgiving razor and mistakes of poor technique do not go unpunished.

I agree, in part. If I try to use mine like a DE, I'll pay for it. If I use the right angle it shaves like nothing else I've used.

No other razor has been more comfortable and efficient than my Fatip Grande for the last year. My MMOC is beating it in both comfort and efficiency. My Grande is as comfortable, or even more comfortable, than my post war Tech and 5 times as efficient. My MMOC is twice as efficient as my Grande and more gentle on my skin.

It amazes me...

As far as I can tell, the Clog Pruf is simply a tweaked MMOC, slightly less efficient, for lack of s better word. If you look at both from a side profile, you will not be able to tell which is which, if they were plated the same of course.
I have to disagree about the less efficient part. my shave lasted longer with the MMCP. unthinkable the bar is the only difference and that IMHO doesn't contribute to efficiency. I have always had better results qithbars over combs though. Both are fantastic.

I have to disagree about the less efficient part. my shave lasted longer with the MMCP. unthinkable the bar is the only difference and that IMHO doesn't contribute to efficiency. I have always had better results qithbars over combs though. Both are fantastic.

I guess my 3 Clog Pruf razors are different from yours, because all of mine are slightly less efficient than my MMOC's. All will get me BBS results, the MMOC will get there with a few less strokes and last longer. My feeler gauge tells me they both have the same blade gap. The Clog Plug is slightly smoother, which I attribute to the comb being somewhat closed halfway, scalloped I guess.

If your Clog Pruf gave you a longer lasting shave than your MMOC, I can't argue that, but it's not that way for me.

I guess my 3 Clog Pruf razors are different from yours, because all of mine are slightly less efficient than my MMOC's. All will get me BBS results, the MMOC will get there with a few less strokes and last longer. My feeler gauge tells me they both have the same blade gap. The Clog Plug is slightly smoother, which I attribute to the comb being somewhat closed halfway, scalloped I guess.

If your Clog Pruf gave you a longer lasting shave than your MMOC, I can't argue that, but it's not that way for me.
I was wondering when you would chime in to say that ;)

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

"The mmoc is an unforgiving razor and mistakes of poor technique do not go unpunished."

Only if you don't understand how to use it.

Read my mind, man! Just about to post seeking advice on blades.

No issue with DE’s that are regarded as aggressive (I call them point and shave, and they reward me with irritation free close shaves). This is my first SE though. Any technique differences to keep in mind for my inaugural shave?
Use them like one uses a straight razor. Keep the angle very shallow and use a light touch. In other words, hold the handle up high, almost horizontally, so that the bulk of the razor head is almost riding on the skin.

If you use them this way, you will be rewarded with close, comfortable shaves.

Put me also in the camp that says the MMOC is mentioned as an aggressive or difficult razor only because people try to use it like a DE when the technique required is much different. If used the way it was intended to be used, it is not a harsh shaver at all.

Use them like one uses a straight razor. Keep the angle very shallow and use a light touch. In other words, hold the handle up high, almost horizontally, so that the bulk of the razor head is almost riding on the skin.

If you use them this way, you will be rewarded with close, comfortable shaves.

Put me also in the camp that says the MMOC is mentioned as an aggressive or difficult razor only because people try to use it like a DE when the technique required is much different. If used the way it was intended to be used, it is not a harsh shaver at all.

Thanks Sir! I’ve seen the instructions and also some videos. Looking forward to the Clog Pruf. Hopefully it and some coated blades will arrive in time for Friday morning’s shave. I’m sure the MMOC will follow.

No it is not. You are wrong!!!!! (with all due respect and such)

The MMOC is very effective and safe if you follow GEM directions.

IF you follow GEM directions, which obviously you have.:a14:
On the other hand, if someone doesn't follow the directions properly (== poor technique) then it can be a very effective potato peeler.

Yes, it always pays to follow the directions. :a14:

. . . and not be this guy

5BBE2641-4733-4F44-B68E-70314F6287CA.jpeg

Last edited:
5DD64E8B-FF22-45BE-B339-316562AE26F7.jpeg
4F3729C9-9464-41E8-BC66-630B50229189.jpeg
4163178A-7295-44EC-BA2B-41EE470DE7B0.jpeg

New Clog Pruf locked and loaded for this evening’s shave.

Though the focus of discussion is virtually always on the shave, these are striking works of art IMO.

First shave down. What sticks out most is how comfortable this razor is. In addition to the rigidity of the GEM blade, this may be due to the razor requiring a technique that is closer to a straight in terms of blade angle, as @Twelvefret has pointed out.

Certainly BBS, but not the most efficient on my first use. On a comfort vs efficiency basis though, this 80 year old razor is, for me, tough to beat.

First shave down. What sticks out most is how comfortable this razor is. In addition to the rigidity of the GEM blade, this may be due to the razor requiring a technique that is closer to a straight in terms of blade angle, as @Twelvefret has pointed out.

Certainly BBS, but not the most efficient on my first use. On a comfort vs efficiency basis though, this 80 year old razor is, for me, tough to beat.
Your muscle memory will kick in soon enough and you'll be getting wonderful shaves. Congratulations on your GEM experience.

Top Bottom