What's new

Clipper lighters

Last week I was looking through posts on one of the facebook groups and somebody was asking about lighters. One person mentioned Clippers, which I had never heard of before, because I guess they are scarce in America, but popular just about everywhere else.

After a little bit of research I found out that they are basically just a better version of a BIC. The main differences are that they are refillable, the flint can be changed and they are made out of nylon vs plastic. Also the bottom of it can be used as a tamper.

I ended up buying a pack of 4 of these on Amazon for $7.00, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Does anybody else have experience with these and what are your thoughts? I was thinking they would be great outside and on the go lighters.

I had 2, both crapped out on me. Wouldn’t light for some reason despite a strong spark.

After how long and how many refills (if any)? I've read a lot of good things about them. I also read that the mini's light more reliably.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I bought a 4 pack on Amazon as well. I like them and have had no problems with them. I believe that they are popular among "herbal" smokers. Walmart has started carrying them locally (east TN area) just recently.

Clippers used to be amazing lighters, they are/were great for pipes, perfect size to use as a tamper and the flame increases size when you tip them to light a pipe, I've used those and Zippos almost exclusively for 30 odd years.
Unfortunately as @Kentos has noticed over the past 10, 15 years they've changed the design, somehow. They used to last for years, I had one running for nearly 10 with no problems, but now they last months at the absolute best, no longer than a non refillable BIC on average. Built in obsolescence maybe? You'll find that they spark but won't light, it's been one of my pet projects to find out why they are so rubbish these days but I've not come up with much. I think there must be a great old git's story in here about how things "ain't what they used to be" :) Needless to say I refuse to buy them now.

Especially avoid the metal "high end" ones, I've had 3 and all crapped out within a month.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
After how long and how many refills (if any)? I've read a lot of good things about them. I also read that the mini's light more reliably.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Neither lasted a refill. It was the more expensive metal clad one, so maybe that was my mistake. It was also from GQ tobaccos so exchanging wasn’t worth the coin for shipping. I have recently started refilling my disposable Bics for work, being the skinflint that I am lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Clippers used to be amazing lighters, they are/were great for pipes, perfect size to use as a tamper and the flame increases size when you tip them to light a pipe, I've used those and Zippos almost exclusively for 30 odd years.
Unfortunately as @Kentos has noticed over the past 10, 15 years they've changed the design, somehow. They used to last for years, I had one running for nearly 10 with no problems, but now they last months at the absolute best, no longer than a non refillable BIC on average. Built in obsolescence maybe? You'll find that they spark but won't light, it's been one of my pet projects to find out why they are so rubbish these days but I've not come up with much. I think there must be a great old git's story in here about how things "ain't what they used to be" :) Needless to say I refuse to buy them now.

Especially avoid the metal "high end" ones, I've had 3 and all crapped out within a month.

My theory is that the when you light it, the initial spurt of butane coming out is too strong for the flint to light. If you hold the lighter to a lit candle and press the gas tab you will see a huge flame that then recedes.

I bought a 4 pack on Amazon as well. I like them and have had no problems with them. I believe that they are popular among "herbal" smokers. Walmart has started carrying them locally (east TN area) just recently.

Very cool, glad to hear you experience with them was/is good. Yes, they definitely market toward the herbal smokers. The 4 pack I purchased are called Mary Jane and have a pin-up with an herbal leaf for a bra. :001_302:

Neither lasted a refill. It was the more expensive metal clad one, so maybe that was my mistake. It was also from GQ tobaccos so exchanging wasn’t worth the coin for shipping. I have recently started refilling my disposable Bics for work, being the skinflint that I am lol.

I've read that refilling a bic is a real pain. I'm too lazy for that kind of work.

My theory is that the when you light it, the initial spurt of butane coming out is too strong for the flint to light. If you hold the lighter to a lit candle and press the gas tab you will see a huge flame that then recedes.

I saw a youtube video where somebody had that issue. They took out the flint, flipped it over, then put it back in and it started working again. I've also read that the flint wheel can get dirty and a wire brush can help clean it up.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I saw a youtube video where somebody had that issue. They took out the flint, flipped it over, then put it back in and it started working again. I've also read that the flint wheel can get dirty and a wire brush can help clean it up.

If you have good luck with yours I might be persuaded to try then again,

I've tried cleaning and replacing the flint wheel, the spring, nothing works, turning the flint or putting a new flint in often sorts it for a short time. The sad thing is that they never used to do this, they were such reliable lighters. If you think of them as basically a disposable lighter then they are still excellent, but as a refillable they are rubbish.

I think that's pretty close to what's happening with them, what's always puzzled me though is why take such a good reliable design and make it so unreliable, is it a case of built in built in obsolescence or just the natural affect of cost cutting in the manufacturing process? And I see you got suckered with the nice looking metal Clippers that don't even last as long as the standard ones too eh? :D

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I've tried cleaning and replacing the flint wheel, the spring, nothing works, turning the flint or putting a new flint in often sorts it for a short time. The sad thing is that they never used to do this, they were such reliable lighters. If you think of them as basically a disposable lighter then they are still excellent, but as a refillable they are rubbish.

I think that's pretty close to what's happening with them, what's always puzzled me though is why take such a good reliable design and make it so unreliable, is it a case of built in built in obsolescence or just the natural affect of cost cutting in the manufacturing process? And I see you got suckered with the nice looking metal Clippers that don't even last as long as the standard ones too eh? :D

Yep. I figure they would at least a year or more so I sprung for the nicer ones.

That reminds me of a YouTube video I saw, where a guy was saying that the Mini Clippers were more reliable. I guess the Mini Clipper was the original design, then they came out with the standard clipper which is more the size of a BIC. Anyway he was saying the Mini Clipper and Standard Clipper use the same spring, so the spring on the Standard Clipper Doesn't give the same tension as it does on the Mini.

He suggested either stretching the spring out some or adding a second flint to give it the extra tension needed. have you tried that? If not, I will give it a try assuming I run into the same issues.

That reminds me of a YouTube video I saw, where a guy was saying that the Mini Clippers were more reliable. I guess the Mini Clipper was the original design, then they came out with the standard clipper which is more the size of a BIC. Anyway he was saying the Mini Clipper and Standard Clipper use the same spring, so the spring on the Standard Clipper Doesn't give the same tension as it does on the Mini.

He suggested either stretching the spring out some or adding a second flint to give it the extra tension needed. have you tried that? If not, I will give it a try assuming I run into the same issues.

Yeah I've tried that as well. That's why I'm thinking Kentos is right that it's a gas injection issue. I think you may be right that the mini Clippers are more reliable, I've never had one **** up in the same way as a standard (they are much easier to lose though). Though you're wrong about the mini being the original design, they are quite a modern version, I remember when they came out and they were the "girls' Clipper". I know Clippers really well (sadly) and it's just something that irks me, they used to be basically as reliable as a Zippo.

Just a small part of my collection, the stuff I could lay my hands on without moving :D

full

Prefer these though these days

full

Used one of my Clippers for the first time last night and I really liked it. I mostly smoke outside and the flame on my faux Old Boy gets extinguished if I even blink. The Clipper was a much better experience (for outside breezy conditions).

Only time will tell however, we'll see how it's working after a week or 2 of use.

Yeah I've tried that as well. That's why I'm thinking Kentos is right that it's a gas injection issue. I think you may be right that the mini Clippers are more reliable, I've never had one **** up in the same way as a standard (they are much easier to lose though). Though you're wrong about the mini being the original design, they are quite a modern version, I remember when they came out and they were the "girls' Clipper". I know Clippers really well (sadly) and it's just something that irks me, they used to be basically as reliable as a Zippo.

Well that's too bad, I was hoping a couple of those tricks would help. If these start to suck after a few uses like you say, then I may give the mini's a try. I'll let you know how they work out. Thanks for sharing your experience, as you obviously have a lot of it! :302:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well that's too bad, I was hoping a couple of those tricks would help. If these start to suck after a few uses like you say, then I may give the mini's a try. I'll let you know how they work out. Thanks for sharing your experience, as you obviously have a lot of it! :302:

I gave up after 2 lol!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I've had two. One I dropped and the fill valve broke. The other was fine for a couple of months, but then it decided it didn't want to light. Same as everybody else's: strong spark, no flame. I didn't know about any of the possible fixes, or the Mini Clipper's better reputation. But I have enough other good lighters that I don't feel the need to mess with Clippers anymore.

Top Bottom