What's new

Clear/green turquoise sparkle brush

As usual, I used polyester resin. The sparkle mica (looks more like teal to me than turquoise) is a bit of a letdown. While the surface is every bit as smooth as on the clear part, the sparkle makes it appear rough. I think the effect is achieved by using fine granules of glass/silicon added to the mica but it might be synthetic. The knot isn’t set because I’m thinking a black synthetic would look best in this handle. What knot do you think I should use?

114A2F57-6250-49EF-A894-CFA41D2509B7.jpeg D4170350-A863-4335-9B73-DCD68E844EFB.jpeg DD0B1F7F-4242-4CEB-8D1B-213D4DF448B6.jpeg

Nice! I love the two tone look and I know how hard it is to get the clear 100% blemish free. Great job sir! I'm really digging my new mixed knot from Maggard's but a tuxedo would be awesome in there too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is a GREAT looking handle!
This reminds me a Vintage 70’s metal flake. I think the knot looks good, but I am partial to the natural look of badger.

Great shape and color, a new vintage brush.

That is impressive.

I wonder what it would look like with a boar knot or a Cashmere type.

I've had brushes with two parts with the bottom being see though or clear. I've never seen one before where the joint looked that seamless AND the bottom was flawless too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, this one took some work.

@gwsmallwood - Thank you. After the time spent on this one I was thinking that I wouldn’t be doing one again anytime soon. This morning I was thinking of hiw much I’d like to make another, but maybe with a translucent color for the base.

@redslayer8585 - I took about 2 hours sanding with a very light touch through progressive grits to get the base where I wanted it, thanks for appreciating the effort. I considered a tuxedo but think I’ll save that for a black & white two-tone.

@ccpastork - Thank you! The badger doesn’t look bad and I prefer a finest myself, but I can’t help but think a different knot would look better. I’ll have to pick up a few different ones to see which I like best

@bakerbarber - Thank you, I definitely put the time into making sure I’d get a nice level line betweeen the two colors as well as making sure it was perfectly square to the turning axis, thanks for noticing. The first knot I considered was a boar, both for the longer length - this handle is about 3/8” or so longer than I usually make which is a big difference - and because I think it would give a nice vintage look to it.

All that being said, the shape isn’t exactly what I was going for but was dictated by the clear bottom. I didn’t want the point of the forstner bit going into the clear part so I had to make the cup longer than I wanted, then I made my part line at the bottom a bit shy of where I should have to get a better overall proportion, but it’s still one of my favorites.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
OUTSTANDING Jay ! That is the nicest Handle ,I think I'm in Love ........
How about a Black Badger . I put one in a Keyhole I made and I really like it .

Absolutely gorgeous. The effort that went into that is just astonishing. I think that the badger looks great. I wouldn't change it.

Really nice work! That knot actually looks good in it. Or the suggestion for a nice boar knot is a good idea, too.

Thanks for the kind words, this one took some work.

@gwsmallwood - Thank you. After the time spent on this one I was thinking that I wouldn’t be doing one again anytime soon. This morning I was thinking of hiw much I’d like to make another, but maybe with a translucent color for the base.

Not sure if you've ever seen an Oscar11 brush, but he does a lot of those two tone handles with colored translucent bottoms. I actually just contacted him about when he might be doing customs again. I really love the green sparkle on this one, though. Go Eagles!

@Graydog - Thanks Steve. Coming from a guy that’s made some dang nice brushes of his own that means a lot. I like the idea of a black badger, I’ll get one along with a boar & see which I prefer for this one.

@Quijote - Thank you sir! And thanks for you opinion on how the badger looks in it.

@G.W. - Thanks geedub. I’ve narrowed my choices diwn to a boar & black badger, only because I already have a black synth.

@gwsmallwood - I never heard of them but did a search. He’s made some excellent handles, I really like the translucent colors.

That's a beautiful brush Jay! The really like the green portion, it reminds me of my 15 pound bowling ball. The bottom portion looks like crystal it's so clear. Job well done.
As far as what knot would look best, a darker knot would definitely for the bill. A black or brown synthetic or a black badger knot. Just a quick heads up on the black badger though. If you don't care for pure badger knots, then you may knot like a black badger since they feel and perform similarly.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Black Badger that I have is one of my top 10 that I use .
Picture on the far right , also there is Horse and Maggard has a all Black Synthetic but it is only 22mm
20180122_101958.jpg

@DCRIII - Thanks Dave! Again, coming from another that has made some amazing brushes himself that means a lot. I was thinking I may not like the feel of a black badger but I won’t know unless I try one. My EJ was a pure which I mistakenly bought instead of a best, but it was alright. I reknotted it mostly because I was ticked I bought the wrong one and wanted a Silvertip anyhow.

Decisions decisions....

Top Bottom