What's new

Cleaning.

Hi all. Hope you're all well. I received a Super speed and a slim adjustable in the mail today. They are fine but in need of a good clean. The adjustable has some marks on the lid which I'm not sure if could be removed and the Super speed opens very un smoothly (due to soap and grime possibly rust build up). I've added some photos. I'm not in desperate need to get them squeeky clean but if possible it'd be nice. Also if anyone could suggest some general cleaning/sanitizing methods to get it shave ready that'd be great. Cheers in advance.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Try some long soaks in warm water with Dawn detergent. You can also work the mechanism in the dishwashing solution. That may do the trick!

Try some long soaks in warm water with Dawn detergent. You can also work the mechanism in the dishwashing solution. That may do the trick!
Long soaks, is it safe to do overnight? Also would hot water be safe instead of warm?

Another vote for warm water, Dawn, and patience. A lot of people use Scrubbing Bubbles to soak razors, too. Avoid very hot water, brass alloys have a thermal expansion rate about 50% higher than nickel. Too much rapid expansion and contraction can cause the plating to crack and lead to more corrosion over time. Extreme example, but you get the idea.

I use hot water and a bacterial hand soap along with a hard tooth brush.. good scrubbing and use wooden tooth picks for hard to reach areas.. soak and change the water when it cools down and scrub in between.. I've also boiled a few in a old sauce pan.. once there cleaned and if I intend to use them a swirl in surgical spirits

Another vote for warm water, Dawn, and patience. A lot of people use Scrubbing Bubbles to soak razors, too. Avoid very hot water, brass alloys have a thermal expansion rate about 50% higher than nickel. Too much rapid expansion and contraction can cause the plating to crack and lead to more corrosion over time. Extreme example, but you get the idea.
Ok great thanks. Don't have any of those brands here in Thailand. Any dishwashing liquid do?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Day 1: Overnight soak in hot (not boiling) water and Dawn dishwashing liquid with periodic scrubbing with a toothbrush (I use extra-soft and more elbow grease). Rinse under hot tap water.

Day 2: Overnight soak in Isopropynol. Keep digging out any stubborn gunk and grit. Rinse under hot tap water.

Day 3: Overnight soak in Barbicide.

Your razors should be clean, disinfected and ready to use. :)

Day 1: Overnight soak in hot (not boiling) water and Dawn dishwashing liquid with periodic scrubbing with a toothbrush (I use extra-soft and more elbow grease). Rinse under hot tap water.

Day 2: Overnight soak in Isopropynol. Keep digging out any stubborn gunk and grit. Rinse under hot tap water.

Day 3: Overnight soak in Barbicide.

Your razors should be clean, disinfected and ready to use. :)
Thanks. Not sure if I can get those products here in thailand

I have run a few razors through a ultra-sonic cleaner, but I wouldn't go out to buy one if you don't have one. Soaking in dish soap, working the action to losing things up, and a good scrub with a toothbrush is all I usually do.

Alcohol and other disinfectants, I think, is unnecessary. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

Enjoy the shaves with your new razors!

I have run a few razors through a ultra-sonic cleaner, but I wouldn't go out to buy one if you don't have one. Soaking in dish soap, working the action to losing things up, and a good scrub with a toothbrush is all I usually do.

Alcohol and other disinfectants, I think, is unnecessary. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

Thanks. As long as it's sanitized and a little nicer on the eye then I'm happy

+1, the ultrasonic seems to clear out a lot of internal gunk on TTO's.

I've had to soak overnight multiple nights to get some crud cleaned before, so don't limit yourself to just one 6 - 8 hour soak in liquid dishwashing soap. Use an old toothbrush to then scrub the razor, dipping the brush in the soapy water.

I've heard of some folks that have had the plating damaged by soaking in alcohol, so if you're going to use alcohol, I suggest a quick rinse in alcohol then rinse in water.

I wouldn’t overnight soak in barbicide either. I think the bottle says 10 minutes to completely disinfect so that’s all i’d do going that route. I think similar to alcohol barbicice might end up lifting the plating if you let it soak too long. Otherwise the advice here pretty much covers it. I’ve heard mineral oil is great to lubricate the twist to open mechanism so maybe a couple drops of that down the threads once everything has been cleaned up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t overnight soak in barbicide either. I think the bottle says 10 minutes to completely disinfect so that’s all i’d do going that route. I think similar to alcohol barbicice might end up lifting the plating if you let it soak too long.
Also good to know.

I've not had any issues with the overnight soaks to date but that doesn't mean I won't in the future.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned a few long soaks in warm/hot water with dishwashing detergent and then a scrub with a toothbrush and you should be fine. I boiled a razor once and lost the plating so I wouldn’t recommend that. Also I used to give the razor a soak in diluted Dettol disinfectant but the razor would sometimes finish up sticky. A couple of washes and scrubs in dishwashing detergent and you are ready to go.

Top Bottom