What's new

Cleaning your ears.

I am an audiologist, and I have also worked with several ENT's (surgeons of the ear). Here's the definitive, medical answer.

Q-tips are fine for the outer ear, just don't jam them into the canal. Just like the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" the small amount of wax you may take out is no match for the larger amount you'll mush back into the canal, where it will be more painful to remove. The inner two-thirds of the canal have very thin skin and is a sensitive area.

The three accepted methods for wax removal are: curettes (I use these - a metal or nylon/plastic loop that pulls out wax), suction and water irrigation. Physicians, nurses or audiologists can use these. Whatever he or she is most comfortable using, go with that method.

NEVER let anybody put a lit candle in your ear. Ineffective at best, dangerous at worst.

Finally, ear wax is like red wine. In moderation it's good for you. It is virucidal, fungicidal, bacteriocidal and insecticidal to a degree.

Well put. I always tell patients to never use Q-tips. Running warm water into them while showering and if really bad a drop or two of mineral oil to soften it up before the warm water.

OK I have a very thick unusually sticky ear wax, oil only makes it more sticky and the alcohol / peroxide mix that is often recommended by doctors doesn't work. sometimes when the weather is extremely dry for a long time the wax will dry and harden so hard that the doctors will have a very difficult time removing it. It also doesn't help that the outer end of my ear canals are lower than the inner part and they are extremely small to boot. (smaller than most kids ear canals) And if that wasn't enough I wear hearing aids :tongue_sm:lol:

Thanks for your referral. I am familiar with that product and would prefer to try the curette, very carefully.

Where did you get yours? Was there a brand name??

Thanks.

--James

I don't remember where I purchased it from. It was from a shaving supplier that also had a stock of grooming products.

However, here is an Amazon link to the exact one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Wax-Clean...1M/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1294433627&sr=8-19

PS-If you want one I still have the one I used and it is clean and sterilized. Just drop me a PM with your address I will mail it to you. I will never try to use one of these again myself.

One thing that works pretty well is a cap full of hydrogen peroxide for deeper canal cleaning. It feels kind of weird, but works. I have a family member that gets really waxy; his doctor told him to use peroxide to break up the wax.

This topic is providing a little TMI for my taste though.

If you ever buy those ear cleaning kits, that come with a solution and one of those bulbs for rinsing your ear out the main ingredient in the solution is usually a peroxide of some sort, just mixed with something to make it thicker.

Attachments

• Ear Cleaning Tools Ear Wax Remover Billeau Loops Ear Pick Curettes Cleaner Kit  eBay.png
    Ear Cleaning Tools Ear Wax Remover Billeau Loops Ear Pick Curettes Cleaner Kit eBay.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 6

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What is the best way to clean your ears? I've always been told that using a q-tip can be very bad for your ear organs. I've heard about ear candles but those don't sound too safe either. I know ear wax is actually good for your ear health but sometimes when it's visible it can be very unsightly.
You can buy a kit of ear cleaning tools off Amazon - same as doctors use. As long as you don’t go too deep (and you will feel it) it should be perfectly safe. My mom used the rounded end of a Bobby pin. I prefer the proper tools.

Top Bottom