What's new

cleaning with boil out?

okay, I work in foodservice...and we use a compound consisting of sodium carbonate and sodium hydroxide...our deep fat fryers are cleaned using this compound...my question is, we use it in conjunction with boiling water to remove sediments and general crud from the metal in the fryers...would this compound used in dilluted amounts dissolve the nickel plating from my vintage gillettes? anyone ever used it in a boiling water bath for any of their razors? i have an old shaver quality superspeed that I'd be willing to use as a guinea pig if I am the first to try it...but I figured i'd ask around and see if anyone else has used it before and how did it turn out...?

if I am the first one to try it, I will post my results on here for future reference...

I'm a chef, and a word of advise don't even try it.
I mean, think about it... when you're cleaning the fryer your aim is to get rid of all the fat right? so you're working with really powerful chemicals (often stronger than any other cleaning product on the kitchen).

Now... even if you don't damage the razor (with I doubt) you'll probably create a more than harmful environment for your skin.

If you want to try and see what damage those chemicals could do to your razor, I would say:

Prepare your mix, and drop a needle on it, leave it there for a while (even a day if you like) rinse it off and take a look at it.

Hope this helps mate.

Not sure about the chemicals. One of the chemists on the board should be able to address it though.

Folks have boiled their nickel razors (in plain water) when a buildup of crud has been particularly difficult to remove. From what I've read the safest (for the razor) is to bring the water to a boil, remove it from the burner, then put in the razor and let it soak. You don't want to actually boil the razor or leave it on the burner.

Boiling gold razors is never recommended - it removes the lacquer finish, and then the gold comes off. Ditto any razor with plastic on it or paint (as in the painted numbers) - boiling will ruin those.

A search of the forums for "boiling" should turn up plenty of info.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's basically Lye (or Caustic Soda) and Soda Ash.

I wouldn't put my razor in it or anyone elses (ok, maybe somebodys, but no one I liked).

Though the plating might well weather the bath, there are internal surfaces, retaining clips, connecting rods etc. inside the razor that might not fare so well.

A bathroom soap and scum remover works pretty darn good, so I can't see what benefit you would reap with an unnecessarily strong chemical cleaning agent.

Don't do it!

Think about the composition of kitchen equipment - it's usually a very high grade of stainless steel. The gear is high-priced and built to last, produced in small-ish volumes for trained operators.

Now, razors: mass market item, produced cheaply using materials that are 'good enough', plated rather than solid material.

Harsh chemicals just has to be a no-no for things that were not designed to take it.

what are you afraid thats on the razor that soap and water wont take off?

WHAT'S WITH THIS BOILING/STERILIZING RAZOR OBSESSION?

I have to agree here. Boiling, I think is overkill but if you feel comfortable with it, I don't want to talk you out of it. My personal feeling is that it could harm the finish be it nickel or gold. Probably stresses the metal also.

I just used liquid dish detergent and then some Bon-Ami on a toothbrush and my razors clean up great. A little alcohol dip and I am still disease free and alive.

After finding this forum--I do think the Scrubbing Bubbles is the way to go. Boy that stuff works great and with minimum elbow grease...its what I use now. Sage advice from B&B!!!!

marty e.

what are you afraid thats on the razor that soap and water wont take off?

WHAT'S WITH THIS BOILING/STERILIZING RAZOR OBSESSION?

i completely agree - who can name me a nasty that can live on bare dry metal for more than a couple of days?

the postal service as it takes time to deliver the razor is pretty much all the sterilization you need.

the only reason that I bring this up even is that I just picked up a superspeed that is in fair to good condition...and I don't mind testing a new method of removing dullness and gunk on this particular razor...but I wanted to gather opinions on this over the top method before I actually tried it...and I doubt that I will try it now as a result of this thread...so objective completed...no worries...my superspeed will be safe with a toothbrush and soap...

I've used boiling water to clean the gunk out of all–metal razors. Even tried it on a black handled SS, but only for a short period of time. It can be an effective cleaning treatment, but it all depends on the razor and gunk. Scrubbing bubbles work just as well, I think.

I don't boil to sterilize. Dipping in Alcohol for a minute seems to work. I have yet to contract the plague or a flesh-eating virus from a used razor.

Last edited:
When I get a used/vintage razor it is scrubbed (Scrubbing Bubbles), sterilized (boiled), polished (toothpaste) and sanitized (alcohol). Only then will I be comfortable enough to touch it to my face. May be overkill, but that's how I do it.

When I get a used/vintage razor it is scrubbed (Scrubbing Bubbles), sterilized (boiled), polished (toothpaste) and sanitized (alcohol). Only then will I be comfortable enough to touch it to my face. May be overkill, but that's how I do it.

It's beyond overkill- it sounds like you have a real case of obsessive compulsion disorder. You are also ruining the finish on your razors. Try that on a gold plated Gillette and you'll be sorry....

Scrubbing bubbles or Alcohol are one thing, but boiling is completely ludicrous. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a collector.........

It's beyond overkill- it sounds like you have a real case of obsessive compulsion disorder. You are also ruining the finish on your razors. Try that on a gold plated Gillette and you'll be sorry....

Scrubbing bubbles or Alcohol are one thing, but boiling is completely ludicrous. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a collector.........

It's not obsessive, because I find the process to be a real pain in the neck! I just like to know that those razors are as clean as they can get. I haven't noticed any problems with finish so far. Fortunately, I don't care for gold razors, so that's not an issue.

As I mentioned before I'm a chef, and as one I'm full aware of the damage that hot (I'm not even reaching boiling) water does to steel.
On the particular case of steel, it damages its composition (sorry english is my not my mother tongue, and I don't know the word). And so does citric acid, try cutting a tomato, or lemon, or even chilies and you'll notice that nice sharp knife becoming dull.

Whenever I want to clean a razor, I use warm water, and a toothbrush, (i'd add some soap, as needed).

As many have mentioned, I would put my razor near boiling water.

Try that solution on an aluminium handled razor and the handle will dissolve and you'll have a bath of sodium aluminate :smile:

Caustic soda + soda crystals is way OTT for a razor anyway. Think more on the lines of sterilising a baby's bottle if you feel sterlising is in order.

Cleaning: Bathroom soap scum remover - Cif Mousse, Scrubbing Bubbles

Polish: A polish for silver/gold/electroplate - Flitz, Maas, Silvo, Duraglit

Top Bottom