What's new

Cleaning warning.Don't be an idiot like me

So, I was the lucky winner of a PIF several weeks ago, a New LC and New SC, both in gold. They were in really nice condition, but wanted to give them a hot soapy bath before use. First bath, no problems. Second bath, Houston, we have a problem. I think I poured dish washing liquid (Seventh Generation) right on various parts of the razors before pouring the hot water into the aluminum pan. Here's what I saw this morning when I woke and checked on them...

$image1.jpg

The dark streaks seems to be where it came in direct contact with the dish washing liquid.

I tried to scrub it with a tooth brush and hand soap, but it didn't help. I tried some baking soda, again, didn't help. I could be wrong, but the dark portions seem to be getting darker. I only have Flitz and that isn't suggested for this finish.

Has anyone seen this before? Is gold plating this finicky? Do I need to do something to neutralize the reaction (assuming it's still happening)? Should the table here be updated to specify that dish washing liquid shouldn't come in direct contact with lacquered brass, http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance ? I'm assuming that portion is lacquered brass.

I can't believe that I ruined the finish on these razors during my three weeks of ownership after they looked so nice for 80 years. :mad2: Stupid stupid stupid. I will probably get them refinished since those streaks will haunt me if left as is. Chances are it will be in nickel due to cost and general preference.

Could be a reaction from boiling water and the aluminum pan... The gold on these razors is finicky though.

I don't have a problem with dish soap and gold razors. I don't boil the water, I just use hot tap water.

Last edited:
As you suggested, looks like some type of adverse chemical reaction that discolored the gold finish. Truthfully I wouldn't worry too much about it. Gold is a fragile finish to begin with and there are folks out there that can replate these old war horses if it's important to do so. In the meantime it will have no affect on the shave. Thanks for sharing!

If it is just the lacquer then you might not be in as bad a shape as you might thing.
You might still have good gold under the dark surface.

Last edited:
Warm soapy water is all you need. Were you doing the baking soda and aluminum clean that is used for silver razors??? That is for silver only and not gold. If it does have lacquer on it you have probably just damaged that and not the gold, anything short of strong acid won't hurt gold. Leave it sitting in a cool dry place for a day and see if it improves, sort of like water rings on a table, which is usually also lacquer, it may disappear, or at least look a lot better.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Warm soapy water is all you need. Were you doing the baking soda and aluminum clean that is used for silver razors??? That is for silver only and not gold. If it does have lacquer on it you have probably just damaged that and not the gold, anything short of strong acid won't hurt gold. Leave it sitting in a cool dry place for a day and see if it improves, sort of like water rings on a table, which is usually also lacquer, it may disappear, or at least look a lot better.
Good idea Toby!

It's hard to say without having the razor in hand but I think the gold was already gone from your razor. It was probably polished brass if it was shiny. Soaking brass in dishwashing detergent for a long time can produce the discoloration you see. I'd just take some metal polish to it and it should be shiny and new looking again. Of course it will tarnish over time but you could get it replated in gold if you'd like.

Dawn soap and tap water works fine. Doesn't even have to be hot, although I usually use at least warm water. I would never boil razors in soapy water, but that's just me.

I use boiling water (boiled in the microwave) and then add dish soap and soak. Then with a toothbrush.

With my NEWs, I have boiled them in vinegar, either bringing it to a boil in the microwave and then putting in the parts, or in a stainless steel pan. Never had that reaction. The gold is gone from all of my NEWs.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So, I was the lucky winner of a PIF several weeks ago, a New LC and New SC, both in gold. They were in really nice condition, but wanted to give them a hot soapy bath before use. First bath, no problems. Second bath, Houston, we have a problem. I think I poured dish washing liquid (Seventh Generation) right on various parts of the razors before pouring the hot water into the aluminum pan. Here's what I saw this morning when I woke and checked on them...

View attachment 671002

The dark streaks seems to be where it came in direct contact with the dish washing liquid.

I tried to scrub it with a tooth brush and hand soap, but it didn't help. I tried some baking soda, again, didn't help. I could be wrong, but the dark portions seem to be getting darker. I only have Flitz and that isn't suggested for this finish.

Has anyone seen this before? Is gold plating this finicky? Do I need to do something to neutralize the reaction (assuming it's still happening)? Should the table here be updated to specify that dish washing liquid shouldn't come in direct contact with lacquered brass, http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance ? I'm assuming that portion is lacquered brass.

I can't believe that I ruined the finish on these razors during my three weeks of ownership after they looked so nice for 80 years. :mad2: Stupid stupid stupid. I will probably get them refinished since those streaks will haunt me if left as is. Chances are it will be in nickel due to cost and general preference.

I had that same thing happen to Me once, I think it was a direct shot of Dawn on my razor. anyway what I did was just polished them up and they looked fine . Give that a try it won't hurt, shinny brass is very nice

Most Gillette's are gold washed, not plated. Easy to remove. Shine up the brass and live with it. Send it to Razorplate if you want a great re-plating job.

I maybe had something similar happen on my Razorock Jaws. I left it soaking in a Scrubbing-Bubbles-type bathroom cleaner for too long and it left some dark marks on it like the cleaner had reacted with the chrome. I tried scrubbing it with warm soapy water with a toothbrush, but no luck. Then, I remembered I had some scratch remover that I use on my car to gently buff out scratches and that worked to get the dark marks off, but there's definitely still some light damage. Maybe I'd try some metal polish and see if that gets the dark marks off at least?

Oh my word. I PIF you those razors all cleaned up and told you they were ready to use. What were you thinking? Just shave with them! They were beautiful when I sent them. Just enjoy the shave lol.

I see a lot of over cleaning done here. Several cleanings with strong chemical cleaners, and boiling razors!!! It's all completely unnecessary in my opinion, and potentially destructive.

No, I just tried baking soda after the fact to see if it might act as a polish and remove that discoloration. Baking soda has become a cure all for me over the years, kind of like Windex to Greeks in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Thanks for for the suggestion. I'll check in on it tonight to see if it returned to its former glory.

Top Bottom