What's new

Cleaning Vintage Safety Razors: DO's and DON'T's

I'll get to it, thank you! I'm guessing I should avoid proraso since it'll make it look get all white?

I see it as a razor is meant to be used....no matter what gets left behind on the razor it can be cleaned/washed and it will be as good as new. Proraso is a great product and shouldn't be ignored because of the white residue it leaves behind. Just enjoy your shaves any way you see fit :thumbup1:.

Also the water stains can polish out with some "flitz" or any other metal polish after you do a cleaning soak. Products I use and get good results from (Wenol, the blue tube found on amazon) (White Diamond, in auto parts store) (Mothers Chrome Polish, auto parts store)

I primarily use the Wenol, they sell red and blue tubes....the red gets off the heavy stuff...the blue tube is a finer polish that gets a nice shine.

Larry

NEVER use Dawn on a Super 84 (I used to make Dawn for a living, btw, love the stuff!), it'll ruin it! Just hot water for the anodized aluminum (the black coating). And 30 minutes is OK, I do 2 or 3 10-minute blasts.

NEVER use Dawn on a Super 84 (I used to make Dawn for a living, btw, love the stuff!), it'll ruin it! Just hot water for the anodized aluminum (the black coating). And 30 minutes is OK, I do 2 or 3 10-minute blasts.

Hrmmm .. I cleaned 4 Super Adjustables (two 84's and two 109's) with Dawn and had no problems. What areas should we be concerned with?

I recently bought an English Gillette Rocket HD500 TTO and tried boiling it in a saucepan of water on the stove top for 10 minutes as a cheap form of sterilisation. Can't see how it would do any harm but when I used it, I got the worst shave ever. The English Gillette Rockets usually give a superior shave to their American cousins. It may have been out of alignment before, but I am wondering if the boiling damaged it somewhat. They are brass after all.

Just bought another one and not going to boil this one - not sure how to clean it but might try the alcohol option.

cheers
Andrew

R

romsitsa

Water boils at 100 C, brass aneals/softens above 300 C (being thick and nickel plated it would be even higher), so water would evaporate way before anything happens to the brass.

Adam

I use a heavier-duty ultrasonic cleaner at 50C, not the jewelry cleaning kind because I find they don't really do much.

Can you share what ultrasonic cleaner you use? I have thought about buying one. I was looking at the jewelry cleaning ones. But if they aren't any good, I would prefer to get one that actually works
Nickel, rhodium, stainless, cobalt, and later gold (think gen2, and later, Aristocrats) get a short squirt of Dawn.

Gold wash (1930s and earlier Gillettes), silver plate, and brass/bronze (like Karve) will lose the patina with Dawn, so don't! Aluminum and especially anodized aluminum will dissolve in Dawn, so really, really don't! Just run the u/s without Dawn...

Are you just using water in the ultrasonic cleaner (sometimes with Dawn)?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

I have what appears to be that same ultrasonic cleaner. I can’t really tell if it does anything to my razors.

This is my system.

Cleaning & Restoring Vintage Double Edge Razors:

Soak in hot, not boiling water with Dawn dish detergent until water cools. Scrub with tooth brush and rinse.
Spray with non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles. Let sit until bubbles start to disappear. Scrub with toothbrush and rinse.
Repeat if needed.
Apply Flitz or MAAS if additional polishing is needed. Buff with micro-fiber cloth.
Repeat Scrubbing Bubbles, rinse, dry with towel.
Load blade and enjoy.

Works for me.........

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Is it safe to completely submerge TTO razors under hot soapy water?

R

romsitsa

Yes, except your hand is in the water or the razor has plastic parts.

Top Bottom