What's new

Cleaning up in the garage...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
... and was going to toss a damaged screwdriver- then I thought, hmmm, I have a couple of boar knots upstairs.

20210726_084452.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Oh that is great! Did you just drill to knot size and depth? What do you use for glue? Epoxy I'm guessing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very cool. Did the screwdriver part break off? Imagine it’s doable if you gave a drill press. I think I had a craftsman bottle opener somewhere.
this would go great with the craftsman keychain screwdriver you posted before. These are truly relics from a bygone era. Lol.

Focusing on the very start of the project - how did you get the screwdriver out of the handle? Otherwise, drilling into steel would be a real challenge.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh that is great! Did you just drill to knot size and depth? What do you use for glue? Epoxy I'm guessing.

Drilled at size and depth with a forstner bit. 2 part 5 minute epoxy, in this case clear JB Weld epoxy.

Very cool. Did the screwdriver part break off? Imagine it’s doable if you gave a drill press. I think I had a craftsman bottle opener somewhere.
this would go great with the craftsman keychain screwdriver you posted before. These are truly relics from a bygone era. Lol.

The flathead screwdriver tip got broke from a previous owner. I buy Craftsman stuff at Estate Sales and at Thrift Stores, I didn't notice it at the time as it was with a group. Yes, I have a 1962 Craftsman belt drive drill press, so just put it on slow speed and you're set.

Focusing on the very start of the project - how did you get the screwdriver out of the handle? Otherwise, drilling into steel would be a real challenge.

It's really easy. Clamp the screwdriver end in a vise vertically with the handle on top, then gently pry up the handle with a pry bar. If you use slow steady pressure, it pops right off with no damage to the handle at all. Takes about 5 seconds.

How did you get the screwdriver out of the handle? Otherwise, drilling into steel would be a real challenge.

It's really easy. Clamp the screwdriver end in a vise vertically with the handle on top, then gently pry up the handle with a pry bar. If you use slow steady pressure, it pops right off with no damage to the handle at all. Takes about 5 seconds.

Great idea! I'll have to try that with some broken tool. Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looks awesome @luvmysuper ! I am a fan of old craftsman stuff. I have a whole set of craftsman BBQ tools with those same handles.
Yes, me too.
I have several different types of bottle openers as well, the screwdriver handle, the wrench, and the red LED Keychain.
If you haven't heard, Stanley Black and Decker (who bought Craftsman from Sears) is opening a factory in Texas to make Craftsman forged hand tools in the US again.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes, me too.
I have several different types of bottle openers as well, the screwdriver handle, the wrench, and the red LED Keychain.
If you haven't heard, Stanley Black and Decker (who bought Craftsman from Sears) is opening a factory in Texas to make Craftsman forged hand tools in the US again.
When Sears was on its last legs (Maybe for the 10th time) I got a bunch of new stuff. Got a new set of screwdrivers and wrenches. Etc. I can see that estate sales is a much more affordable option. But it will be interesting to see what comes from this new factory venture.

I have an old set of Craftsman screwdrivers. My first thought was, "I wonder what size 2-band Shavemac, Rudy could drop into it."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have an old set of Craftsman screwdrivers. My first thought was, "I wonder what size 2-band Shavemac, Rudy could drop into it."

This boar knot I have is pretty small, and it was a tight fit. Granted, it was a stubby screwdriver handle, but even the huge handles are longer, but not too much wider. I don't know that a decent sized badger knot would fit in one of these unmodified.

This boar knot I have is pretty small, and it was a tight fit. Granted, it was a stubby screwdriver handle, but even the huge handles are longer, but not too much wider. I don't know that a decent sized badger knot would fit in one of these unmodified.

Guess I'll have to keep the screwdrivers as is, although years back Rudy did make me a 16mm badger brush.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I loved the older Craftsman stuff. Good quality at decent prices and if it broke you knew where to take it to get it replaced and it was easy to do.
When they went cheap so did I and started buying a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight. The quality isn't there but the return policy has always worked well for me and I don't make a living with my tools so a huge investment isn't worthwhile as long as the tool will do the job and isn't a hazard in itself.

Top Bottom