What's new

Cleaning the sink after shaving

I’ve been using TOBS for several months now, and after shaving I always take my used face rag and wipe out the sink, rinsing the rag several times in the process. I figured I was being a good hubby and saving the Misses some cleaning work.

Yesterday I stumbled into the bathroom where she was vigorously scrubbing my sink. I commented that I clean the sink after every shave and it shouldn’t be that dirty. She informed me that there was soap scum (yes she said scum) all inside the bowl. She said it’s from my shaving cream and that water alone does not get it out. Surly my beloved TOBS would not leave scum behind.

While she enjoys my smooth face after a nice shave, she does not enjoy cleaning up after me.

So the question stands; What do you use to clean up the bowl when you are done?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Some soaps and creams are worse than others. My CRS creams leave a lot of residue behind.

Try this stuff.

scrubbing_bubbles_mega_shower_foamer-trigger.png

I give my sink, and razors, a good spray once a week or so. No wiping needed. Just let the foam run and do its thing then rinse it off. Sparkling clean.

Some soaps and creams are worse than others. My CRS creams leave a lot of residue behind.

Try this stuff.

View attachment 1134060

I give my sink, and razors, a good spray once a week or so. No wiping needed. Just let the foam run and do its thing then rinse it off. Sparkling clean.
As you can tell, I’m not into cleaning bathrooms. I though scrubbing bubbles was just for cleaning old razors. 🤪

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As you can tell, I’m not into cleaning bathrooms. I though scrubbing bubbles was just for cleaning old razors. 🤪

Ha!

Thats the only kind I've used. I have a large acrylic soaker tub in one bathroom and wanted something that made cleaning it easier. That stuff works.

It also just happens to be the best 'no touch' razor cleaner I've yet used. Spray, wait, rinse and they look like new.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use a small Glad sandwich container at the bottom of the sink during 100% of the shave.
The reason to use a smaller container is to reduce foot print of soap scum and not use as much water, also to protect my razors from hitting the sides of sink when trying to rinse of suds.
Between passes you can scoop water out of the small container or just use the tap and let it overflow if you like cold water rinses it still leaves a small foot print.(Shave from start to finish after cleaning 15-25 minutes
What usually happens is fellows fill the whole sink up and do their shave pull the plug and let the scummy soap & whiskers and facial oils coat the whole basin up. With the smaller target basin it just overflows and reduces the foot print of the area that might get dirty. Also after the shave I place my lather bowl inside the plastic container to reduce clutter. I have been doing this routine for about 3 years and I do not how it can be perfected any better.
To wipe up I use All purpose towels that dry quickly and can be used many times. I will take soap out of the brush and place it in the plastic bowl and rinse my brush in there also to create soap water to clean the reusable towel and then place out to dry. Seems to work, I will not use a face wash cloth to wipe up the counter top after the shave and clean the mirror up a little. Then every 3 weeks the counter and sink get a very good cleaning. The plastic bowl is like a magnet for soap scum over time.

Plastic rinsing bowl (2).jpg
glade sandwich container..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah...shave soap tends to leave a little crud behind. On skin that's "residual slickness." In the sink that's "Can't you ever get anything CLEAN?"

I tend to spritz a little Vim in the sink in the Shave Cave every two or three weeks. Or Ajax/Comet if I'm too lazy to walk out to the kitchen and dig the Vim out from under the sink. Rest of the time I rinse out the sink and rub my hands on the sides and bottom after I've rinsed everything else.

O.H.

I use a sponge to wipe of my straight razor edge between passes. This keeps everything nice and clean of soap scrum and stubble. Not much use for DE’s though.

Our bathroom sinks get cleaned once per week so i’ve never really had a soap scum problem. Where i do see a problem is the pipes. Every few months i have to run draino down the sink to clear out the soap scum buildup. Between my fiancé's hair and the full fat shave soaps, it’s a recipe for sink clogs. But generally i just toss water around to rinse everything down the drain and run the tap to flush it down.

I only clean my sink when the dark ring around it starts to bug me. Then I get out the Ajax cleanser and a rag and get it sparkling clean. Cleaning after every single shave is not for me.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar under the sink. Once a week, or so, I'll spray the sink with vinegar then wipe it down with a sponge. It takes the soap scum off right away. I had to do a minor plumbing job this weekend so had a chance to look in the pipes under the sink. I was expecting the worst, but they were clean as a whistle.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just rinse the sink out with water from the running tap using the shaving brush that I have just used. This rinses the sink and the brush. I have had no comments from LOTH about soap scum left in the sink. As long as I rinse all the whiskers down the drain I seem to be okay.

I use a small Glad sandwich container at the bottom of the sink during 100% of the shave.
I have a 1 litre plastic container, that I use for rinsing of razor(s).

The main point is to keep the sink below stubble-free, so that I can use the water to rinse my face, (etc) and when I let it out, it isn't a mess.

I set my razor, loosened a bit, in the drained sink and spray the Scrubbing Bubbles all around the bowl and onto the razor. Then I rinse the razor, set it on toilet paper to dry on the counter, and rinse the bowl with a hand till all the scum is gone. This way I clean both at the same time. When I change the blades and clean the razors, the latter have almost no scum on them.

Try this stuff.

View attachment 1134062

Amen!
This stuff really works.
I’m the scummeister in our house.
It also works on bathtubs, sinks and around the house.

Try this stuff.

View attachment 1134062

+1! Scrubbing Bubbles is magic in my house!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom