What's new

Cleaning the sink after shaving

IMG_20200504_111146.jpg

This is what I found under the sink cover...... looks like a corpses aorta....

Hi,

I use the brush, lightly, on the sink after I rinse it out. Always have. Probably because Dad did as well. The idea is to get the little hairs gone. But, it keeps my sink cleaner than my wife's. I rarely have to clean it further until it turns reddish brown.

No, not blood. ;) Chalybeate water. Dissolved iron. CLR won't touch it. So much for their ads. Rust remover it is not. I have to use muriatic acid (25% HCL) followed by sodium bicarbonate so the acid doesn't poison the septic tank. Out here in farm country, one is on their own for water and sewer and have to deal with it accordingly.

Stan

Reactions: CCR
I soak my brush in a small mug. Then when it’s time to shave I refill the mug with hot water, I run my razor under this water to warm it up some, for 10 seconds. Then I lather up. Once I start the shave I turn the water back on to a very very slow trickle/stream. I use this to rinse the razor every couple of passes. This runs the lather and stubble right down the drain. I don’t take 30 minute shaves, maybe 10 min maximum. I feel like I use less water this way and it keeps the sink quite clean. When it’s time to clean the brush I squeeze out what’s in the knot and run my hand under the water then pump the brush in the mug a couple times and squeeze it again, usually perfectly clean after the 3rd cycle.

It's not the layer on the surface of the bowl you have to worry about, it's the slowly building clog from all this same 'material' that is growing somewhere in your drain. I know I'll give flamed for this but trust me, it will strike eventually.

There is another thread where a member has a repeated issue with this and had to switch to different products as a result.

Yes, I am that guy. It has been a real problem for me. I now only use soaps that have sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) in it. This helps keep the drains clean.

Yes, I am that guy. It has been a real problem for me. I now only use soaps that have sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) in it. This helps keep the drains clean.
Sodium laureth sulfate is a detergent and can irritate your skin, especially sensitive skin. t’s not dangerous when applied for a short period and then rinsed off. But people with sensitive skin should probably choose a product that does not have it.

Sodium laureth sulfate is a detergent and can irritate your skin, especially sensitive skin. It’s not dangerous when applied for a short period and then rinsed off. But people with sensitive skin should probably choose a product that does not have it.

It is very safe for most people. It's just like some great soaps like La Toja will irritate some peoples face but for most people it is perfectly safe. Like anything else if you have a special condition you have to beware.

Had the same problem here. Degreasers work best for me. Currently using this one. It comes off effortless.
proxy.php

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I was actually told about using vinegar by a plumber. I’ll pour a few cups down the drain & let it sit overnight, then in the morning pour hot water down the drain. It’s been working like a charm & I’m not using any of the corrosive chemical solvents anymore.
Which kind of vinegar? The plain white stuff, or apple cider vinegar?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I’ve been using TOBS for several months now, and after shaving I always take my used face rag and wipe out the sink, rinsing the rag several times in the process. I figured I was being a good hubby and saving the Misses some cleaning work.

Yesterday I stumbled into the bathroom where she was vigorously scrubbing my sink. I commented that I clean the sink after every shave and it shouldn’t be that dirty. She informed me that there was soap scum (yes she said scum) all inside the bowl. She said it’s from my shaving cream and that water alone does not get it out. Surly my beloved TOBS would not leave scum behind.

While she enjoys my smooth face after a nice shave, she does not enjoy cleaning up after me.

So the question stands; What do you use to clean up the bowl when you are done?
This is Deja-Vu. The same thing happened to me.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'll have to ask my wife, but I don;t think we've ever had a problem with sink buildup. I rinse the sink well after each shave. If I think of it, I'll ask her.

Top Bottom