What's new

Cleaning/Sterilizing an EBay razor

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So true!! :lol:

That said - I just received a 'bay '68 Slim Adjustable (M4). I'll be visiting a local tattoo artist / neighbor to borrow his autoclave tonight. Not because I'm paranoid, but because it's safe, effective, expedient and excessive.

FTFY :lol:

i just bought some scrubbing bubbles to try out. haven't ever used it and hope it does the trick. i just want to clean up the "scum"

1 hour soak in 5% Lysol is hospital grade dissinfection for medical equipment. It would also remove the green corrosion as an added bonus.
It is has some pretty nasty fumes so i either handle it in the garage ir outside and i wear gloves. After a good rinse, most of the smell is gone, and ccompletely gone after a few uses.
I bought some *nasty * looking razors that came out quite presentable after that.
It might be extreme but its the only path that pacifies my ocd side...

I've heard of people using scrubbing bubbles to clean a razor, I'm jut not urge I want that kind of chemical on something I ill use on my face

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We've got both ends of the spectrum here anyway - Guys who are seriously worried about not being able to kill germs, and guys who are worried that what will kill 'em is bad for you! :lol:

My advice would be, after you use the scrubbing bubbles, rinse the razor in clean water. It's metal, so the chemicals can't "soak in" to the razor, it's only on the external surface. Once you rinse it off, there's nothing there to get on your face.
Strongly recommend not using the razor immediately after a scrubbing bubbles bath without rinsing it, if for no other reason than it may be irritating to some peoples skin.

So, I boiled my new (to me) aluminium handle gillette tech to sterilise it - All fine with regard to the head, but I chucked the handle in there too (why not, right?) and now it's gone all tarnished looking and blackened... I've tried a bit of Silvo polish, but that's not made a dent on it.

Any ideas how to smarten it up and make it shiny again?

Sad to say that I'm afraid that you may have permanently ruined that aluminum handle.

Why did you do such a radical thing when you have such a resource as B&B at your fingertips?! A quick question or perusal of the wiki would have stopped you from ruining your razor. Lesson learned...

Sad to say that I'm afraid that you may have permanently ruined that aluminum handle.

Why did you do such a radical thing when you have such a resource as B&B at your fingertips?! A quick question or perusal of the wiki would have stopped you from ruining your razor. Lesson learned...
I did have a quick look in this thread, didn't notice anyone saying not to put the handles in.. Nevermind - it's not gonna affect the shaving so I'll get over it.

If the handle is really bare aluminum (not coated) then your towel will turn black from the aluminum oxide (the black stuff) as you polish. This residue will be very (extremely) difficult to remove but it can be done. There's a reason why car detailers use either a wool or foam pad to remove oxidation from aluminum wheels.

I would recommend using a microfiber towel and some dedicated aluminum polish. Constantly rub with aluminum polish but be patient - sooner or later you will start to notice the difference as the oxide is removed. Depending on how bad the oxide is and whether or not you want to spend additional money, you may need to start off with some compound.

I recently took possession of my late father-en-law's WWII Gillette Chrome Ball DE razor while cleaning out my late mother-en-laws house in the Cleveland area. The razor had not been used for many years. I cleaned it using very hot soapy water, then wiping the cover, handle, and blade compression plate with alcohol wipes. I began using the razor with DE blades from a local store. After returning home, I used the Cream Brite product to polish the metal. It now shines like it is brand new!

You can put a razor in just boiled water, but if you actively boil it in a metal pan you risk warping the metal due to direct heat transfer.
Why would you want to risk that?

No need to go crazy. A good soaking in rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide after you do the scrubbing bubbles cleaning will set you free.

Last edited:
I cleaned up my 2 GEM Micromatics by giving them a good 20 min soak in a 50/50 warm water/tilex mix. I made sure to operate the tto mechanism several times while submerged.

Rinsed them all off under hot water, giving the tto some more twists while submerged, and then gave them a good dish-soap scrub with a toothbrush.

The end.

I do harmonica repair and customization and often have to sterilize and clean harmonicas and their different parts. I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for this. Would this work for razors as well?

Ultrasonic cleaners don't sterilize anything. They simply clean debris off them. If you are getting any sterilization it would be from the solution used in the ultrasonic.

I know I am new on this forum and i have read through several pages of this thread on how to clean razors.

My first thought is to avoid using anything acidic on plated parts, even a mild acid such as vinegar can dissolve plating. Conversely aluminum or copper even badly discolored can be easily cleaned with a mild acid and polished to a mirror finish.

I collect and restore old firearms. I have found hot, not boiling hot but hot water in a cheap ultra sonic cleaner with a bit of dawn or tide works wonders.

I am going to try to clean/restore two vintage Gillette razors over the next few day. I will let you guys know how it goes

wash it with hot soap and water with toothbrush or whatever,let soak in barbicide or alcohol it's not brain surgery , do u plan on sticking the actual razor in a orifice or open wound? The razor blade cuts not the razor, I've seen so many people blow this way out of proportion my wife is a rn she asked a doctor just wash and soak for overkill

Top Bottom