What's new

Cleaning shoes with Saphir Renomat

I got a new pair of boots for Christmas, and they came with a bottle of Saphir Greasy Leather Cream (thanks, Santa!). I have a couple of old pairs of shoes that had an oiled or greasy leather finish, but that I've been cleaning and using protectors on for many years. I thought this was a good chance to order a bottle of Renomat and see if I could restore them to something like their original condition. This is a cleaner to use in the garage, or with all the windows open--it's strong! I had a very bad head cold, and it still hit me immediately. Anyway, I used an old rag and applied the Renomat to both pairs of shoes. It stripped them down immediately, leaving a very clean and dry surface.

After cleaning:

Renomat.jpg

After they dried, I applied a coat of Saphir Greasy Leather Cream to both. I left it on the surface for a while, and checked them in an hour. They still felt dry, so I added another coat.

Greasy Leather.jpg

The photos aren't great--I wasn't feeling great and didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Still, it really restored the "greasy" surface to my old Docs, and the leather feels soft. The other pair of shoes, an old pair of Clarks desert boots, also seemed like they got a new lease on life. I finished off the desert boots with a light coat of Lincoln neutral polish, and buffed them.

Also, the Saphir Greasy Leather Cream is perfect for my new boots--a pair of Iron Rangers in Amber Harness. I wore them a lot over the holiday to break them in, and I wanted to make sure they didn't get all scuffed up. I cleaned them over the weekend (just Fiebing's saddle soap) and gave them a light coat of the Saphir. No effect at all on the color or finish of the shoe. I also finished them up with a light coat of Lincoln neutral, and buffed them to a kind of dull shine.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Never heard of that stuff but it looks like you nailed it. Shoes look great. Congrats on the iron rangers too.

I got a new pair of boots for Christmas, and they came with a bottle of Saphir Greasy Leather Cream (thanks, Santa!). I have a couple of old pairs of shoes that had an oiled or greasy leather finish, but that I've been cleaning and using protectors on for many years. I thought this was a good chance to order a bottle of Renomat and see if I could restore them to something like their original condition. This is a cleaner to use in the garage, or with all the windows open--it's strong! I had a very bad head cold, and it still hit me immediately. Anyway, I used an old rag and applied the Renomat to both pairs of shoes. It stripped them down immediately, leaving a very clean and dry surface.

After cleaning:

View attachment 1052534

After they dried, I applied a coat of Saphir Greasy Leather Cream to both. I left it on the surface for a while, and checked them in an hour. They still felt dry, so I added another coat.

View attachment 1052535

The photos aren't great--I wasn't feeling great and didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Still, it really restored the "greasy" surface to my old Docs, and the leather feels soft. The other pair of shoes, an old pair of Clarks desert boots, also seemed like they got a new lease on life. I finished off the desert boots with a light coat of Lincoln neutral polish, and buffed them.

Also, the Saphir Greasy Leather Cream is perfect for my new boots--a pair of Iron Rangers in Amber Harness. I wore them a lot over the holiday to break them in, and I wanted to make sure they didn't get all scuffed up. I cleaned them over the weekend (just Fiebing's saddle soap) and gave them a light coat of the Saphir. No effect at all on the color or finish of the shoe. I also finished them up with a light coat of Lincoln neutral, and buffed them to a kind of dull shine.
Looking great. I need to look at that leather cream. My redwings might like it!

After cleaning:

View attachment 1052534

View attachment 1052535

I was just looking for before/afters by using Renomat. You've helped a lot by sharing your experience with this. Thank you. It is much appreciated.

I'll be doing test on my chukkas and red wings - hopefully I won't forget to send update.

I love all the Saphir products and use them religiously. Kirby Allison Hangar Project is a great place to pick them up and he also puts out Shoeshine Sunday tutorials that help with some of the more unique products that you wouldn’t use as often.

Attachments

• EB68C636-9013-40AA-ACE9-FB1B410A546A.jpeg
    EB68C636-9013-40AA-ACE9-FB1B410A546A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom