What's new

Cleaning Shoe Shine Brushes

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, it's my first post on the forums!

Whilst everyone is stuck at home, my parents have set me the task of sorting through the mess of shoe shine equipment that has been taking up space in the house. A task made more difficult by additions to the set from my Gran and Elderly Aunt!

To that end, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with:

1. Is it possible to clean/wash shoeshine brushes, We've got a mixture of applicator brushes and daubers as well as polish and buffing brushes, if so how is best? Some of these have been hiding in cupboards for years and so would ideally like to clean off any residual polish lying on them to bring them back in to use.
  2. Is it possible to wash polishing clothes? If so how is best?
  3. I know that Saphir is a good quality shoe care brand and I have started to slowly build up a selection of Saphir products, mostly black but some tan and a little bit of suede care. Over the years my parents have amassed a selection of products from various other manufacturers. Can anyone shed any light on the quality of Kiwi and Grenson polishes? Is it worth keeping them or is it better to get rid and replace them with Saphir?
Many thanks in advance for the answers and apologies for the multiple questions in one thread. 😀

IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_3390.png
IMG_5470.jpg

Please let me know if there is any other information/pictures you need. The Saphir products on the towel are pictured that way as they were in use at the time 😀

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I take two brushes and spray the bristles of each lightly with alcohol, then brush them against each other until dry. Saw this one at a shoeshine parlor. Leaves the bristles feeling fluffy, rather than sticky.

You can keep your daubers from getting all stuck together with a variant of this. Again, just spray your dauber with alcohol, this time rubbing it on a paper towel until dry. It won't be a solid, congealed mess the next time you use it. (If your daubers are already hopelessly gummed up, bin them and start over with new ones.)

I take two brushes and spray the bristles of each lightly with alcohol, then brush them against each other until dry. Saw this one at a shoeshine parlor. Leaves the bristles feeling fluffy, rather than sticky.

You can keep your daubers from getting all stuck together with a variant of this. Again, just spray your dauber with alcohol, this time rubbing it on a paper towel until dry. It won't be a solid, congealed mess the next time you use it. (If your daubers are already hopelessly gummed up, bin them and start over with new ones.)

I'm assuming normal rubbing alchohol will work for this?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hmm, never thought of cleaning shoe shine gear. I rather like the seasoning my brushes have achieved and I just replace the rags when they’re used up.

Hmm, never thought of cleaning shoe shine gear. I rather like the seasoning my brushes have achieved and I just replace the rags when they’re used up.

With my own gear, I completely agree. However, I don't know what colour, or what product, most of the brushes and rags have been used for.

You can usually get an idea of the color a brush has been used from from the straining of the wood handle. Of course, it’s usually safe to use and brush for black. Personally I apply polish with a dauber and only use the large brushes for buffing.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never thought of cleaning shoe shine brushes. I like the look and the patina that has built up from years of use. Even the shine rags have a tale to tell.

I clean the brushes by letting them soak (not all the way to the handle) in isopropyl alcohol for about 15 minutes, then rub the bristles on an old towel. Apply some baking soda or talc and beat it in.
Rinse under hot water, dry with a hair dryer set on medium. Spray the bristles with isopropyl alcohol from a spray bottle. Allow to air dry.

For really cruddy bristles, an overnight soak in dish detergent or vinegar will probably work. A metal comb will loosen a lot of crud.

Last edited:
I clean my brushes, car wash rags, floors, etc, of wax with ammonia. On this shoe brush, first a dilute ammonia solution, then a pet shampoo from the shave supplies. Then conditioned lightly with coconut oil.

This was very dirty. It had been used in a garage. When I acquired it, I cleaned it and used it for years on my car, detailing wax, brushing seats, headliners carpet floors. Now it's deep cleaned again and refinished, and used on berets, clothes, furniture, or an occasional wax buff on shoes or wood.

Attachments

• 7522B89A-DE57-45F2-B1D0-651E07FCB5CE.jpeg
    7522B89A-DE57-45F2-B1D0-651E07FCB5CE.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom