What's new

Cleaning shave brush

Would it be acceptable to use sterilizing solution, like people use to clean baby bottles, to clean my shaving brush? Obviously my main concern is potential damage to the bristles, but seeing as it is used around infants I doubt there is much of a risk, I just wanted to check with the more experienced members here first.
Regards AJS

I wouldn't do it. Personally, I have never found the need to "clean"' any of my brushes. After all, they get soaped up and rinsed often. :wink: If you are intent on cleaning it, lots of people use a mild Borax solution, and others have proposed a mild acidic solution of distilled vinegar and water. I am sure others will chime in.

I'll echo Sotto's comments with one addition, I would be very wary of using a sterilizing solution that was not formulated specifically for the purpose of sterilizing badger hair.
Badger hair is usually sterilized (note I did not say sanitized or cleaned) in vats of hot water at 190 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours. There is a real difference between sterilizing and cleaning. Sterilizing is to kill the various flora, fauna, and virus that might be there, whereas most folks talk about removing soap scum and hard water scale when they speak of cleaning. Note the 190 degree process isgenerally done before knotting, etc. and is not recommended for the end user.

To clean my brushes, I either use shampoo, or if I feel that hard water is causing a buildup on the bristles (you'll notice this as a lack of ability to absorb water), I break out the Borax (20 Mule Power) and use a 1 tsp to 1 cup of water ratio. Stir the brush several times over a 30 minute soak, then give it a very thorough rinse.

Randy

EVERY brush manufacture recommends using Borax as a cleaning product, so no worries using borax. I have used shampoo/conditioner (as well as borax) for round about 4 years on my shaving brushes, and have not had a problem. In fact - I breathe new life into old "scratchy" brushes by working a decent quality hair conditioner into them, and letting them sit (treated with the conditioner) for 20-30 minutes. Makes it SUPER soft, and the hair looks/feels a lot healthier, with a new "restored" shine/look to it. :cool:

joel said:
EVERY brush manufacture recommends using Borax as a cleaning product, so no worries using borax. I have used shampoo/conditioner (as well as borax) for round about 4 years on my shaving brushes, and have not had a problem. In fact - I breathe new life into old "scratchy" brushes by working a decent quality hair conditioner into them, and letting them sit (treated with the conditioner) for 20-30 minutes. Makes it SUPER soft, and the hair looks/feels a lot healthier, with a new "restored" shine/look to it. :cool:

I know what I'll be doing this weekend....:tongue:

Randy

Top Bottom