What's new

Cleaning/polishing Vintage Gillette question?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I'm getting pretty good at cleaning and polishing smooth surfaces on vintage Gillette razors, however, the fine knurling and ridges on handles seem to be more challenging for me.

I follow the usual process recommended here: Soak in hot water/dish soap, scrub with toothbrush, scrubbing bubbles with toothbrush, Flitz/Maas for final polish.

Any tips or advice on how to clean and polish or shine/brighten the fine knurling on handles like depicted in the photo?

20220929_152954.jpg

If I put Flitz on the handle, the cream seems to get stuck in the grooves and you can't really polish it with a micro-fiber cloth.

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting pretty good at cleaning and polishing smooth surfaces on vintage Gillette razors, however, the fine knurling and ridges on handles seem to be more challenging for me.

I follow the usual process recommended here: Soak in hot water/dish soap, scrub with toothbrush, scrubbing bubbles with toothbrush, Flitz/Maas for final polish.

Any tips or advice on how to clean and polish or shine/brighten the fine knurling on handles like depicted in the photo?

View attachment 1530750

If I put Flitz on the handle, the cream seems to get stuck in the grooves and you can't really polish it with a micro-fiber cloth.

Thanks in advance!
That's simply plating loss. My US 48-49 Super Speed has a somewhat similar condition handle where it's come off, although it's retained about 50-60% of the original plating.

I think Gillette used quite a subdued light nickel plating. It was never very shiny, with the exception of the rhodiums and other exotic finishes.

It's either take it for what it is, or a replate job I guess.

Go easy with the polishing compounds, because if the plating is damaged, they might damage it even more. Try toothpaste instead to see if it's good enough. I've polished a few of my razors that way and I was amazed how good toothpaste with a toothbrush is.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I tried the toothpaste idea, thanks @Medivh, that seemed to help a bit.

There seems to be ever so slight plating loss. I had to really strain my eyes to detect barely noticeable 'pink' glistening in certain areas on the handle knurling. As such, I think it's very suitable as a shaver and even presents fairly well.

After brushing handle with toothpaste:
20220929_180346.jpg

Side-by-side with a practically unused Ranger Tech '41 on the right:
20220929_175932.jpg

Not quite as bright as the unused razor, but close enough to call it good in my book.

Top Bottom