What's new

Cleaning oxidized jimps

I am having trouble finding a way to clean jimps that are oxidized, I don't have a dremel or any powertools around, but I have basic hand tools, sandpaper in various grits etc.
What is the best way to clean jimps by hand? I know different methods might work but I don't want to mess up the jimps and learn my lesson the hard way, however I do have a "practice" razor that was cheap and doesn't mean much to me I can test on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would suggest a narrow (about 12mm wide) wire brush. Once cleaned up, remember to oil the jimps after each use to keep oxidisation away.

Steel brush won't hurt it, the steel brush bristles are softer than the razor by a mile... However, I'd start with some Bar Keeper's Friend. Get the powder form and make a paste with water. Apply it to the jimped area and then scrub with your wire brush. That stuff eats rust. And I've used it on fancy high precision steel tools that were bought rusty with no issues.

Thanks for the advice everyone, since there is no active rust I will get a brass brush, I am not looking to get my blade mirror polished or anything, just wanna clean it up, so I will give it a try and see how it works out for me.

The rust on this razor jimps was terrible
CB1D52D0-A19E-401E-9D73-9A28CEC37978.jpeg

5B95A1E0-09CC-43CC-8D91-E06C640A65C3.jpeg

9F4660BE-68DB-4755-A03A-55EAE8AE4DD2.jpeg

You can try using steel wool drawn across the jimps. Put the blade in a vise. Tape the edge. Use the wool like floss. You can twist it and make mini cords to 'floss' with. Wear gloves and eye protection too. A little oil on the jimps and wool floss can help. Alternatively, you can make little micro pads of steel wool and smoosh it into the jimps and 'brush' back and forth.
It's miserable work though. If you're going to 'do this' more than once, I'd suggest getting a dremel.
Abrasive cords exist too, but they're not all that inexpensive. If you have very small needle files, they can work also.

I've done all of the above - but now I use a dremel with a stainless wheel brush.

Electrolytic rust removal might be okay, but I don't know how it would affect the edge...I know I would steer well clear of sand blasting though.

With a razor this bad could a guy use electrolysis maybe? I have never restored any razors but i have restored many tools i buy at estate sales. Something like this i would get out the battery charger and soda wash for. Would this be a bad idea for a razor?
Works fine but you will need to remove the scales.

Reactions: CCR
Forgot - another option is a fiberglass pencil - get them on amazon. Instead of graphite they are loaded with a bunch of fiberglass strands in a bundle that you can use to remove rust in spots like jimps, engravings, etc.

Forgot - another option is a fiberglass pencil - get them on amazon. Instead of graphite they are loaded with a bunch of fiberglass strands in a bundle that you can use to remove rust in spots like jimps, engravings, etc.
if you purchase one expecting great things, you will be disappointed. and picking fiberglass out of your fingers

After cleaning up scores of razors, I've literally never had to pick fiberglass out of my fingers from a fiberglass pen. Using the tool correctly helps; they actually do a great job. Well, mine do - maybe cheap versions have issues. I can't afford cheap tools. Skills, wisdom, and experience have more to do with expectations than the tool itself usually. A wise man once said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

Top Bottom