What's new

Cleaning new pipe bowls

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I recently purchased a couple of new Peterson pipes, a Chistmas 2020 and Halloween 2021. Both have a black rusticated finish. The bowls of both pipe were liberally coated with the stain used to color the pipe. I don’t think it was a bowl coating because it looks exactly like the rest of the pipe and there is no line where the pipes stain end and the bowls “coating” begins. I decided to use a pipe reamer (Decatur Ream All) and cleaned out the bowl. That stuff was THICK. It has an almost thick tar like consistency. I’m not sure what other pipe manufacturers are using But I don’t think I’d want to put a flame to whatever it is Peterson is using. I have a few older Pete’s that have a thin dull gray coating which I’ve never had any issues with. Anyone else clean out pipe bowls of excess stain or am I just being over cautious?
72FC7457-4DD5-4F3A-98B1-D653CF47917C.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s actually Peterson’s new bowl coating. I had it in my Deluxe I picked up last month. It’s Gum Arabic and carbon IIRC. Ash sticks to it like bees on honey and supposedly helps with cake production. Didn’t find any flavor negatives, but taking out is popular too it seems.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
It’s actually Peterson’s new bowl coating. I had it in my Deluxe I picked up last month. It’s Gum Arabic and carbon IIRC. Ash sticks to it like bees on honey and supposedly helps with cake production. Didn’t find any flavor negatives, but taking out is popular too it seems.
Thanks for the info. I’d heard they have a new bowl treatment but I wasn’t expecting it to be glossy like the exterior of the pipe. The gum Arabic would explain the tar like feeling.

Top Bottom