What's new

Cleaning My New Pipe

Good Morning All,

I’ve been cleaning my pipe after every use and it’s not dirty, by any means, but I want to ensure it’s well cared for so it lasts a long time. I’ve noticed that the stem does not easily (or freely) separate from the shank. I don’t want to pull and twist unnecessarily and do permanent damage. I also don’t want hunk to build up and cause damage in its own way. Any help, or advice, is greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of the pipe I have (yes just one at the moment ).

image.jpg

First, never try removing the stem if it is hot, always allow it to cool down.
If it is still tight , you can put it in the freezer for 5-10 mins and it should loosen.
I am sure you will get a ton of other advice.
If you can run a pipe cleaner thru to the bowl , then that may be good for a few smokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, put it in the freezer. When you get it apart and back to room temp., cut a narrow strip of 400 grit sand paper and lightly sand the tenon, like you would buff a shoe, until it goes back in snugly and without forcing.

If you are a wet smoker it's normal for the joint to get tight as the moisture causes the briar to swell a little bit. When taking the pipe apart to clean let it sit apart for a day or two so the moisture can evaporate.

Once sanded the material can't be added back. Try a little pencil lead or beeswax around the tenon first. I've owned many pipes and only one had to be sanded.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Before you try sanding, ty rubbing a little in scented bar soap on the tenon to help it slide. Just a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freezing it for about 10 minutes worked perfectly. Glad to see that everything was still very clean, but it never hurts to check. Thanks again for the advice!

Top Bottom