What's new

Cleaning modern silver razors

So I bought a couple of razors last week.
A Schick super II classic silver plated by international silver with box . This is a ladies version with engraved roses on the handle but I think it looks really good . The second was a reed and Barton sterling silver Atra with box and papers.
As you can see in the pics below the Schick is badly tarnished almost black while the reed Atra is in great condition with mild tarnishing .
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I then put them through a couple rounds of the aluminum foil and baking soda process to clean them up followed by soap and an old toothbrush . This was the final result. I’m pretty happy with them .

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very nice. I especially like the Schick. I think I'm going to go older school today on my shave. Super II or Trac II.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thanks . Yes for being a ladies model it’s very nice looking .

I'm partial to it because I do decorative wood carving for a hobby, so scrolls and flower patterns appeal to me. That is probably one of the reasons I absolutely detest some of the modern machined DE razors. They look too industrial and blocky for me and have no "flow" or appealing form. They are the result of what the milling machine can do in the fewest amount of passes possible.

Those look so much better.

Not trying to be a smartass, but you might finish with silver polish for that final shine.

I don’t have any silver polish at home . Can you recommend any gentle polish ? I’m afraid of very abrasive polishes .

That’s why I used the aluminum foil and baking soda method because there is no abrasive chemicals or products .

I'm partial to it because I do decorative wood carving for a hobby, so scrolls and flower patterns appeal to me. That is probably one of the reasons I absolutely detest some of the modern machined DE razors. They look too industrial and blocky for me and have no "flow" or appealing form. They are the result of what the milling machine can do in the fewest amount of passes possible.

That’s cool I always found wood, stone or metal carvings to be very interesting and the skill required must be impressive.

Those photos aren’t showing up via my tapatalk app . I’ll check later on my laptop

Gave the razors a bit of Flitz polish. (Also my other Schick international silver razor )

Buffed up nicely

proxy.php
proxy.php

Found another vintage razor from the 80s this time with some advice and info from @Mlee

It’s a silver plated razor from Ralph Lauren’s “Monogram” Range.

Lucky for me the seller didn’t know it was Ralph Lauren or if he did he didn’t mention it in the auction details . He also didn’t mention silver plated , just silver toned .

Anyway here it is before cleaning.
It’s a heavy beast that could be used as a weapon !

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And then after cleaning and polishing here is the final result

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Found another vintage razor from the 80s this time with some advice and info from @Mlee

It’s a silver plated razor from Ralph Lauren’s “Monogram” Range.

Lucky for me the seller didn’t know it was Ralph Lauren or if he did he didn’t mention it in the auction details . He also didn’t mention silver plated , just silver toned .

Anyway here it is before cleaning.
It’s a heavy beast that could be used as a weapon !

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And then after cleaning and polishing here is the final result

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow, that didn't take long! Congrats on your find and a very nice collection.

Wow, that didn't take long! Congrats on your find and a very nice collection.

Thanks ! Yeah funny what motivation and too much time on my hands can do! I got really lucky on this one because of the listing description was very poor .

Boy it really is heavy I wonder how it will shave . Will probably test it after I finish my week of sensor shaves .

Top Bottom