What's new

Cleaning Lacquer From Gold Plate Razors

Gents, I need some advise as to how I can safely remove the lacquer finish from gold plated razors without damaging the plating. Thank you for your your time.

Easy-off oven cleaner or any cleaner with lye. Takes the old laquer right off. Wear rubber kitchen gloves.

Good luck.

This thread might help:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...bout-removing-lacquer-from-gold-plated-razors

This guy knows what he's talking about. Probably you never heard of him, but he used to be a B&B Hobbyist, Dave at Restored Razors, in the UK. I believe he lives in New Zealand now.

The best method of removing that horrible lacquer is to steep the razor for about 24 hours in Oven Cleaner - something like 'Dr Magic Oven Sense' - liquid not foam or spray. Brush into the engine turning etc with a stiff paint brush. Don't get it on your skin!

Wash thoroughly in warm water and presto the lacquer is gone.

My advice is to not replace the lacquer, even gold will last a long time if not polished with abrasive polishes and it's far easier to replate with no lacquer on there.

Easy-off oven cleaner or any cleaner with lye. Takes the old laquer right off. Wear rubber kitchen gloves.
Good luck.

Basically, what BSAGuy said.
:thumbup1:

To remove lacquer from gold or silver razors, go to any large auto parts store or electric parts shop (like Radio Shack) and buy a can of spray electrical contact cleaner. Most contacts are gold plate, and this spray is designed to remove lacquer build up....
I've been using this for over thirty years, and it works just fine. Just be careful not to breathe the stuff.

Dragonmaster

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I went ahead and used some "GUN BLASTER" basicly toluene and acetone.I only wanted to clean the blade doors and this stuff did the trick. Again, thanks!

What a coincidence! I need to do this to a couple of Aristocrats. Gillettefan, thanks for the thread and advice.

Last edited:
What a coincidence! I need to do this to a couple of Aristocrats. Gillettefan, thanks for the thread and advice.
Just be patient and give it some time to work. Check the result and repeat if needed. Mine turned out fine. Keep it off places you don't want stripped!

Top Bottom